Garmin glo 2 GPS with iPad. (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SLT
Hi have a 2019 Fiat Ducato Adria Matrix motorhome with built in Tom Tom. I used it in France this year but found it clunky to use and not great, ended up using google maps on my phone more. Seen the Garmin glo 2 used with basic iPad has anyone used this combo? How is it? Bigger screen would be useful as I have a Wi-Fi only ipad I could use.

Thanks in advance

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Wifi only iPads don't have the GPS module.
The Garmin glo 2 is a Bluetooth GPS receiver. A long time ago I used an external GPS receiver in Android without any issues. Not sure if the iPad will be the same.

It looks very expensive unless you already own one. GPS costs a couple of quid these days. My Lenovo Tab M9 tablet cost less and makes a very good satnav.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We tethered the iPad to my phone recently, & used Google maps quite successfull.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
A wifi iPad - it just used the gps from the phone. I did have the map running on the phone as well, so I don’t know if that made a difference (I like to be able to check & move the map without distracting the driver).

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I have run an iPad with a garmin Bluetooth GPS for 4 years. Never let me down and the large iPad sits well in the Ducato holder and the large screen very easily seen compared to a stand alone sat nav or radio screen. I use an old iPad with a non reflective screen covering.

I run it with CoPilot which is great as I get speed alerts, vital in France with all the changes in speed limits, takes a worry away. Have also used with Apple/Google maps and Waze. I use Search4sites so I can find the aire I want on S4S then link from there to CoPilot so no having to insert addresses or coordinates.

Only issues are I need to have the Garmin powered up and locked to GPS before I open the ipad and sat nav app (it takes 20 secs or so). You also need usb socket but you can plug it in anywhere in the van and it works.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
I bought a Garmin GLO to use with 6" ipad to help me navigate Spain this summer after a trip using last year to Germany. What I found using Google maps was although it is excellent it can be tricky when going through complex junctions at high speed. Sometimes when you are slipping off you are presented with an additional slip road and when travelling at close to 100km/h it can be challenging to know which to take. The space on the screen of the phone makes this a challenge as there is limited space to provide the info ahead. I thought the larger screen of an ipad would be useful and it is to a certain degree. It does allow to see ahead more so is useful in the scenario I wanted it for but I would not use it as the main navigation device. The name of roads etc is too small and distance to slip off etc is too small. The phone screen work billiantly for that and is well thought out in the Google maps app. What I do now is compliment the phone with the 6" iPad(or I have a 10" Galaxy tablet with GPS). I use the phone the majority of the time and leave the iPad turned on but screen off. When I know things are going to get a bit hairy around large cities I turn the iPad screen on and use that as a secondary aid.

Would I buy the Glo again........not sure. I have an old Holux GPS Slim236 that was BRILLIANT in the early days of GPS but it annoys me that it can't be used with anything despite it being bluetooth. Glo will likely be the same...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A wifi iPad - it just used the gps from the phone. I did have the map running on the phone as well, so I don’t know if that made a difference (I like to be able to check & move the map without distracting the driver).

Generally speaking, an Android or iPhone can't be used as a GPS (positioning) accessory for your Wi-Fi only iPad... or indeed any Android tablet that does not have GPS ..

I also bought the Lenovo M9 to run Google maps.. tethered to my iPhone for data ..

to save data you can download the map you require from Google Maps.. but of course you won't get live updates and rerouting ..

Lenovo M9 is on sale for £100 .. direct from Lenovo

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back