Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Just been to my local Asda to pickup a few bits including garlic, I don't normally look at where it came from but this time I did and it was China, I looked at all the other types and they all came from China.

That's a lot of air miles don't the French grow them anymore?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just been to my local Asda to pickup a few bits including garlic, I don't normally look at where it came from but this time I did and it was China, I looked at all the other types and they all came from China.

I very much doubt it's flown in.
Aeroplanes only carry three things in bulk: People, Documents and small low density high value items (which includes Flowers!)

It will be Shipped in.
The cost of a container load of garlic from China to the UK is much the same as a lorry load from France.

However the cost of growing in China will be a lot less than the same amount in France.
As land, heating, polytunnels and picking and packing cost will be considerably less in China

Typically the cost to ship vs fly is 1:1,000
An airfreight broker will talk in dollars per kilo.
A ship broker will talk in dollars per tonne.

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Seasoned
I hope Chinese garlic plays nicely with my British lambs' liver, British onions, British bacon, British butter and stock from British beef all of which are now simmering nicely in my slow cooker.😋

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
China leads the world's garlic production, accounting for 73.8% of world production, followed by India with 10.4%, Bangladesh with 1.7%, South Korea with 1.3% and Egypt with 1.2%

Appears to grow best in warm countries.
Things you learn on a Motorhome Forum :)

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
The main problem with most Chinese garlic is, it isn't very garlicky. Best to grow your own if you can.
I often bring a plait back off a French market in the autumn. Not cheap initially, but you don't use much as it's nice and strong,keeps well.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Don't buy from Temu in europe then as it is 99% all flown in.
I think you will find, even in Spain, than it's mostly shipped in,
(if it does not come from Europe or North Africa where it's mostly trucked in)

All meat, hard fruit and veg, such as apples, bananas, potatoes, rice, wheat & grains, etc is brought in by ship.
It would simply be way too expensive to do it any other way.

But, yes, things like some out of season soft fruit are bought in by air, and will have a price on the shelves to reflect that.

No one is going to be flying a 747 filled with beans from the the other side of the planet, as the cost on the shelves would be too high to justify the cost.
(Fresh Strawberries at Xmas. £3 each!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A recent find for me is frozen chopped garlic from Tesco easy to use and just get out what you need

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Learning to appreciate what time we have left

Tried these on a few occasions...The mixed bulbs are quite nice to be honest. Got to be worth a go ?

Kev

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

England grows garlic..these air miles are a laugh..Supermarkets always going on about how green they are..Grapes from Peru..onions from N.Z...cabbages from Spain Oh Please!.tomatoes in summer from Holland.tasteless crap..I always check labels..BUSBY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back