LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hot and wet with biscuits I can dunk. :)
Somebody just gave me a Dried Fig Cake with Almonds & Walnuts from their hols in Croatia. I'm prepared to share if anybody wants a bit?
Anyway, must go, I have a book to read... ;)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@CWH We should plan to read a book a month so no discussions until the end of the month which should give everyone time to finish and means we won't spoil it for anyone. In a std book club you take it in turns to say what you thought of the book, the plot, the characters, the writing style, you can relate it to your own personal life and accomplishments, etc but in the 2 I joined there were the inevitable ring leaders who once they got on the floor never shut up so often others would not get their turn to give their opinion as we met for a couple of hours. Because this is a virtual book club that can't happen so I think it will be much better and we can all read and discuss each other's points properly. Before the end of the month we will decide what to read next and anyone can suggest a book so if you find a good one, post it on the thread and we will all decide. The great thing about a book club is it gets you reading things that you often would not choose yourself, so be open minded!

So for me only a couple of rules
1. No discussions until the end of the month unless we have all finished the book.
2. Everyone should be respectful of other people's opinions and not get into personal arguments only healthy, respectful discussions.
Oh good, so chatting about coffee & cake is OK then :)
Helpful information, thankyou. Even I should manage to finish in a month :cautious:
Do we keep up the chat meanwhile, or just round ourselves up at the end of October?

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I'm doing the coffee this morning, how d'you like it? fried or boiled?
Hope you've had a shower though after your gym session, otherwise you have to sit outside.

A Tall Americano with eight extra shots please, I don't need any room for milk, or biscuits :)

I am well showered :)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Somebody just gave me a Dried Fig Cake with Almonds & Walnuts from their hols in Croatia. I'm prepared to share if anybody wants a bit?
Anyway, must go, I have a book to read... ;)
Ooh now your talking! I'll have a piece please to go with my coffee.
Oh good, so chatting about coffee & cake is OK then :)
Helpful information, thankyou. Even I should manage to finish in a month :cautious:
Do we keep up the chat meanwhile, or just round ourselves up at the end of October?
I think we should keep up the chat. Be interesting to see how we get on without giving anything away!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Read it some years ago and still have a copy, hopefully in a box in Totana. Will look when we get back in a couple of weeks.

Martin also read it. As a climber he vaguely knew Joe Simpson so the story was even more poignant.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Read it some years ago and still have a copy, hopefully in a box in Totana. Will look when we get back in a couple of weeks.

Martin also read it. As a climber he vaguely knew Joe Simpson so the story was even more poignant.

Be good to have another view point. I know absolutely nothing about it, I must have been living in a bubble so really looking forward to reading this and not something I would usually choose either.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hurrah ... tomorrow I will have computer access. Do you know offhand if this is available on Kindle? .. should be able to start reading by weekend. :)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hurrah ... tomorrow I will have computer access. Do you know offhand if this is available on Kindle? .. should be able to start reading by weekend. :)
Hi Joy,

Yes it is on kindle, that's where I got it from. It's a great book so far.

Loren

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Started re-reading last night after driving from West Cornwall to the Lake District, but I fell asleep :sleep: Sorry!

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Started re-reading last night after driving from West Cornwall to the Lake District, but I fell asleep :sleep: Sorry!
Plenty of time to read it. Long drive from Cornwall to the lakes, no wonder you fell asleep. Where in the lakes are you heading for?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Plenty of time to read it. Long drive from Cornwall to the lakes, no wonder you fell asleep. Where in the lakes are you heading for?

We're house-and-dog-sitting just outside Hawkshead; we only left here about 10 days ago, can't stay away!

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
I would love to join, but might need help if the book has too many long words...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well if I make cakes for the Funsters Virtual Book Club, they just better be zero calorie - I think they just might be a bit too heavy for the Cloud :LOL:
upload_2016-10-5_11-50-52.jpeg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( sorry, techno dumbo here again.... clicked on the link of Jim's and the page came up and it said Kindle .. which I downloaded a while ago on my kindle.... but I couldn't work out what to click next to order it. Please can you help me? Would love to order it today so it arrives on my kindle before weekend. Thank you ................. and sorry again for being computer stupid.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
:( sorry, techno dumbo here again.... clicked on the link of Jim's and the page came up and it said Kindle .. which I downloaded a while ago on my kindle.... but I couldn't work out what to click next to order it. Please can you help me? Would love to order it today so it arrives on my kindle before weekend. Thank you ................. and sorry again for being computer stupid.
Hi Joy,
If you click on Jim's link from a phone, I pad or computer it should open up to amazon. When you click the option to buy for kindle it should come up with a message 'download to xx kindle' xx in my case is Loren's.

The other option is to go on your Kindle and open the 'shop in kindle store' then just type in the book name to search and buy.

Whichever option you choose should download yo your Kindle in a few minutes from purchase.

Any other help, just ask
Loren

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Joy,
If you click on Jim's link from a phone, I pad or computer it should open up to amazon. When you click the option to buy for kindle it should come up with a message 'download to xx kindle' xx in my case is Loren's.

The other option is to go on your Kindle and open the 'shop in kindle store' then just type in the book name to search and buy.

Whichever option you choose should download yo your Kindle in a few minutes from purchase.

Any other help, just ask
Loren

Sorry to be a nuisance is anyone going to the New Forest meet please? I think my kindle may have stopped certain pages because it is so long since I have used it. Cannot find 'shop in kindle store'. :(

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi Joy,

Is your kindle the same as this one? If it is you need to press the button 2nd from the right and it brings up the menu with 'shop in kindle store' at the top. Like the first picture.
Loren

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Loren .. got there in the end and tried to purchase .. it seems my account closed as it so long since used it. It then asked did I wish to open a new valid account. I said proceed. It started to load but then a message came up saying this is an insecure site.

It refused to proceed from there. I hadn't yet put any info in so bit confused as to 'what' is insecure site .. can only mean Kindle itself. Bit confused. Rubbish with technology. Any suggestions please? Thank you.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You will see from photo my kindle not a modern one but I would not have thought that made any difference.
20161007_211737.jpg

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you go onto amazon via a computer you should be able to open an amazon account. You then need to register your Kindle by going into settings on your kindle which links it to your Amazon account.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@movan Have you sorted it yet Joy or is it still being difficult?

Going to spend tonight working it out thanks, but don't worry I will order it from Amazon if I cannot get the Kindle to download it... If I am enjoying the book I will probably read it in two days as I can't put it down once I start ... no housework or gardening gets done. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If I am enjoying the book I will probably read it in two days as I can't put it down once I start ...
I couldn't possibly do that with Touching the Void - far too emotionally draining.
About half-way through now. Can't believe how PHYSICALLY exhausted it makes me feel as well.
And that's even though I've read it before and know what's coming!

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I couldn't possibly do that with Touching the Void - far too emotionally draining.
About half-way through now. Can't believe how PHYSICALLY exhausted it makes me feel as well.
And that's even though I've read it before and know what's coming!
I'm about half way too. It's a great book and I agree about the emotional roller coaster.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back