Fuel Filter Leaking? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Well not a good start to our trip away yesterday ☹️ packed the Motorhome with our clothes, food etc ready to set off, pulled out of our storage space so that we could park the car there and fuel leaking everywhere. Traced it to the fuel filter housing which was leaking as soon as the ignition was turned on. Couldn’t see any reason why as all connections were ok so called out the AA. The AA guy arrived and came to the same conclusion so went off to get a new filter and seal, changed both and reconnected the pipes still leaking? It is now after 17:00 and the likely hood is to get a new complete fuel filter housing, however this is going to be tomorrow. So I am now waiting for the Amazon driver to delivery the fuel filter housing so I can try and fit it today and get away on our travels, wish me luck Funsters

IMG_3227.jpeg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Unfortunately it's pretty common. They crack or leak around the seal. Pretty cheap and quick to replace. Later Ducatos had a metal housing.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Fingers crossed you get it sorted, strange how the AA man couldn't sort it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
To replace the seal you require a special wrench to torque down the head of the filter.Just tightening by hand or a wrench doesn't allow the seal to sit properly.
A replacement filter housing complete is always better. You can save the old one as a back up if you can seal it correctly.

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
I still have one for sale in the Classifieds!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Same thing happened to us. Is the metal housing interchangeable for the plastic one ?
Not easily, I think the pipe connection is different and a different electrical connection... If I remember correctly 🤔

Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Just ordered a spare housing complete with filter from Coastal Motorhomes - the motorhome fun discount code got me 10% discount - I have seen so many Ducato owners on FB having issues with a cracked housing
For info it’s a 2022 series 8 Ducato 2.2 and it still appears to be plastic so I will have it for a spare on my trips to Spain and then if it’s not needed I will try and sell it on here
https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fit...-citroen-relay-fuel-housing-filter-18-on.html

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just ordered a spare housing complete with filter from Coastal Motorhomes - the motorhome fun discount code got me 10% discount - I have seen so many Ducato owners on FB having issues with a cracked housing
For info it’s a 2022 series 8 Ducato 2.2 and it still appears to be plastic so I will have it for a spare on my trips to Spain and then if it’s not needed I will try and sell it on here
https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fit...-citroen-relay-fuel-housing-filter-18-on.html
The x250 Ducatos had a plastic housing that was pretty fragile. They moved to a metal unit for the x290 in about 2017? I've not heard of any issues with that. Looks like they've gone back to plastic again, but it's not the previous design. I don't know if that series 8 housing is failure prone.

Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
The x250 Ducatos had a plastic housing that was pretty fragile. They moved to a metal unit for the x290 in about 2017? I've not heard of any issues with that. Looks like they've gone back to plastic again, but it's not the previous design. I don't know if that series 8 housing is failure prone.
Thanks for the info, actually not sure if it’s plastic or alu, will get the magnet to it sometime but if it’s alu thats no good I suppose
Just wanted the complete spare as the filter took a lot of identifying so the housing will be just as bad to identify/ source particularly in Spain and I saw so many stories about them prone to leaking

Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Update - the new filter arrived this morning and it’s definitely still plastic so confirmation that the new Ducatos still have a plastic fuel filter housing, so that’s a useful spare to carry 👍

image.jpg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Update - the new filter arrived this morning and it’s definitely still plastic so confirmation that the new Ducatos still have a plastic fuel filter housing, so that’s a useful spare to carry 👍

View attachment 851340
It's not the same design as the x250 version. Hopefully it's not failure prone. Plastic is fine for parts like this that don't experience higher temperatures and big mechanical stresses... provided they are designed right. A metal can might be failure prone after a few years from salt rot.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The metal one was in use for the 2016 (sept) x290 twin egr model it was replaced in 2019 with a plastic one possibly with intro of Adblue model oct 2019.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back