Frustration with Camping Club Booking Policy (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
So this really gets my goat alot of camping and caravan club sites only will let u book 2 days at a weekend and want top dollar 33 quid a night non electric pitch so 66 quid in total no thanks.

A quick internet search and found a nice little site for 20 quid for 1 night what is the point in being a member of this club non what so ever.

Think I need to use my remaining Schengen days soon lol

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A quick internet search and found a nice little site for 20 quid for 1 night what is the point in being a member of this club non what so ever.
I think many people have more confidence in booking a site with an organisation that has a nationally recognised and publicised reputation to maintain for order and cleanliness, rather than take a chance on a nice little site found on the internet, especially if booking a week or more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I think many people have more confidence in booking a site with an organisation that has a nationally recognised and publicised reputation to maintain for order and cleanliness, rather than take a chance on a nice little site found on the internet, especially if booking a week or more.
But as above I only need 1 night and all facilities are on board

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Now my 6 months wandering France etc has gone I'm selling up. Sitting here in the rain, having had to pay in advance, when moving was so easy on good quality roads. It's cost me more in wheel trims knocked off in the potholes than I spent in Aires.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I choose to join the clubs for the CL and CS sites and occassionally use one of their sites for convenience. It is simply choice, if sites don’t provide what I want I go elsewhere and would leave the clubs if their terms and conditions vexed me unduly. I am not a great fan of clubs that claim to represent us all but generally take a very narrow view of things like wild camping, which is why I just think of them as businesses.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I am staying for 4 nights at the Stover Country Park site next week (CAMC), for a few days walking on Dartmoor. This is one of their sites where they don’t provide a toilet and shower block and is great for those of us with full facilities on board. Travelling by myself as main reason for trip is walking, £68 for four nights, I don’t think that’s too bad in July for a large level pitch, clean black and grey disposal and unlimited electricity. Appreciate wild camping is cheaper, however, on site there is no problem with putting awning, table and chairs out and no worries about being moved on.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
But as above I only need 1 night and all facilities are on board
Indeed, but I think the clubs still have a caravan mentality in that few will be self-sufficient or stay for just one or two nights.
I guess they feel that one or two nights booked by a motor-homer will block pitches for a tugger who is looking for a stay of a week or more.

BTW - the last thing on my mind when buying a motorhome was to have cheap holidays. If a site is located where I want to be I stay there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Indeed, but I think the clubs still have a caravan mentality in that few will be self-sufficient or stay for just one or two nights.
I guess they feel that one or two nights booked by a motor-homer will block pitches for a tugger who is looking for a stay of a week or more.

BTW - the last thing on my mind when buying a motorhome was to have cheap holidays. If a site is located where I want to be I stay there.
Yeah and that's fine as the saying goes you pay your money you take your choice but for me being asked to pay 66 quid to park in n a piece of grass is too much. I also didn't buy the motorhome for cheap holidays but we all have our limits

OP
OP
B
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
We don't have a strict policy, but on a busy weekend, I will turn people away who want just the Saturday night. They will block someone who wants a full three day weekend.
How much a night is your place jim

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We don't have a strict policy, but on a busy weekend, I will turn people away who want just the Saturday night. They will block someone who wants a full three day weekend.
That is fine and understandable, but do you tell them ?

We have a similar policy on a FHL, and they can immediately see that one night or two nights costs the same as 3 nights.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I choose to join the clubs for the CL and CS sites and occassionally use one of their sites for convenience. It is simply choice, if sites don’t provide what I want I go elsewhere and would leave the clubs if their terms and conditions vexed me unduly. I am not a great fan of clubs that claim to represent us all but generally take a very narrow view of things like wild camping, which is why I just think of them as businesses.
I use cl and CS sites ring and ask if it's possible to stay tell them I am not a member. Have never been refused yet.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Lol yeah where do I book 😊👍
That's why in 14 years I've only ever toured 'over there' although I have encountered the frustrating booking difficulty in U.K. when I've had to book a site occasionally for a couple of nights for a specific reason, like family meet-ups etc.
Obviously the clubs' are a business and their bean counters and marketing whizz-kids strive to maximise occupancy - turnover - profit to reinvest for the benefit of their customer base. That policy isn't going to suit everyone.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
This year we are finding about half of them ask for our membership numbers when booking.
But are they checking?
Asking for a friend who has an expired membership number ;)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The wierd thing CACC have at moment is some of the discount codes only work on a 3 night stay. 40% off grass non-ehu pitch one for example. When you do the maths, it's cheaper for 3 days than 2 days without the code, so you ALWAYS should book 3 nights even if yuo stay 2.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've tried booking a few C&CC sites and couldn't get it to accept any codes. With prices for all of them being north of £40 a night, I didn't bother. They are getting as bad as the other lot for over-pricing.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I've tried booking a few C&CC sites and couldn't get it to accept any codes. With prices for all of them being north of £40 a night, I didn't bother. They are getting as bad as the other lot for over-pricing.
Last night was the first day of High Season , PERHAPS the discount code no longer work?
Why not give the booking number a ring, I have always found them fast and helpful, but then, I don't call them at busy times,such as when the schools have just broken up for their summer holidays or when there's World-wide computer outages. 🤔
Good luck! 🙂

PS. £20 per person, per night in High Season is a reasonable price I would have thought, I paid £22 with hard standing+ EHU earlier this week at Devizes when it was lower.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The wierd thing CACC have at moment is some of the discount codes only work on a 3 night stay. 40% off grass non-ehu pitch one for example
This is not correct, I was on a CCC site for two weeks end of June beginning of July with the 40% grass no hookup deal £60 for two weeks, and am booked into another site next week for two weeks on the same 40% deal £136, not too bad for a seaside site in August. There is a different discount for 3 day midweek bookings.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
This is not correct, I was on a CCC site for two weeks end of June beginning of July with the 40% grass no hookup deal £60 for two weeks, and am booked into another site next week for two weeks on the same 40% deal £136, not too bad for a seaside site in August. There is a different discount for 3 day midweek bookings.
Sorry I meant minimum 3 night deal. You can't use the GRASSUK40 code on a 2 night stay (or one) is my point, which means a 3 night stay is always cheaper than 2 where this code works.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back