Front suspension low, rear high

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sensing a bit of a split in opinion here. Haha.
If the difference wasnt so bad I probably wouldn't be concerned but the last place we camped at I couldn't get it level with the ramps, I had to resort to doubling the ramps on one side and using the scissor jack on the other. Plus the ride is so hard
If your ride is so hard are you sure you are not slavishly following the stupidly high tyre pressures the manufacturers often quote. Get you van weighed and then consult your tyre manufacturer's pressure recommendations and it will make a big difference.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes we found the same with the Michelin Agilis tyres BUT the Michelin cross climate campers are terrific for us in terms of ride quality which is vastly improved but just as, if not more importantly, they meet the recommended standards for motorhomes over 3.5t ours is 4.5t. Reducing the tyre pressure unless recommend may cause an overheating issue. There does seem a confusion with some about the difference which I level at Michelin for not communicating that well.
When we had RV's in the US we dound the Michelin recommendations table very good and much more informative than the UK tables. Try there. I think just Google Michelin Pressures+USA

Dean14

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis 373
Regarding the hard ride, what tyres have you got and what pressures are you putting into them?

Camper tyres have stiffer walls which cause harsher rides and, to make it worse, most converters always recommend the highest pressure from Fiat. If you have Continental Campers tyres go to a weighbridge and and get the axle weights when fully ladened. Continental will then tell you their recommended pressures for your actual axle loads. Other companies, with the exception of Michelin, do this as well.

To make the ride even more comfortable scrap the Camper tyres and use van tyres and again get the manufacturers' recommendations for pressures for the actual tyres and axle weights.
Sorry to say but Michelin now do this as well. Another cop out! A few days ago had an excellent and lengthy chat with Continental and will be ordering their VanContact tyres - I can run at 48psi Front and 62psi Rear for my axle weight. The existing tyres are Agilis but the exact same conversation with Michelin went along the lines of the rear must be 5.5bar and the front is whatever your vehicle manufacturer states - as useless as a chocolate ashtray as the manufacturer states 5.5 bar for the front as well. So Michelin have lost another customer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
I'm still wondering. I think firstly I will take it to the weighbridge and see what axle loading I have for the front and back. I will probably try reducing the tyre pressures first and see how it goes. I've had a look at replacing the suspension and dampers but from what I can see, it can't be done from the engine bay and needs to be done by removing part of the dashboard
I don't think reducing tyre pressure will change what your axle weights are?????
What are you thinking? :unsure:

OP
OP
S
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
No, reducing the tyre pressures will make for a softer ride. The question is how much

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back