Fridge Swap

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Hi, we have a new van with a 3-way fridge (over arch). It is currently with Offgrid for a lithium batter/multipass inverter etc. Whilst it is being worked on we have the option to take out the brand new existing 3-way fridge for a compressor fridge. I know that the compresser will work when not exactly level, will draw from the leisure batter (of which we have a lot of capacity) and won't get too touchy with weather conditions. When we used to van many years ago we did have a 3-way and it was fine in the Alps on hookup.

We intend to be more self-sufficient this time around (off grid). The money is not so much of an issue on the swap.

We are torn on what to do but whilst the van is being sorted we thought its a better time to do the fridge as well?

Any thoughts would be welcome

thank you

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
If you have enough battery capacity to run it in the worst of conditions and not have to drive or hook up then it makes sense. If it sucks out enough power to mean you can only be off grid in fair weather then I'd be hesitant

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Get the compressor fridge. I don't miss my gas guzzling 3 way and only got an 80ah battery and 250w solar. We only use the van in summer though.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Get the compressor fridge. I don't miss my gas guzzling 3 way and only got an 80ah battery and 250w solar. We only use the van in summer though.
And there lies the issue if you use the van all year round .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
If I used it in winter I'd definitely need the tilting panel. Not used it tilted this year.
And a bigger battery to store the solar.

I had 1100watt of solar and 700ah of batteries on the euramobil and still had issues with powering the fridge In winter . I took to switching it off at midnight and putting it back on at 7am in really bad weather.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, we have a new van with a 3-way fridge (over arch). It is currently with Offgrid for a lithium batter/multipass inverter etc. Whilst it is being worked on we have the option to take out the brand new existing 3-way fridge for a compressor fridge. I know that the compresser will work when not exactly level, will draw from the leisure batter (of which we have a lot of capacity) and won't get too touchy with weather conditions. When we used to van many years ago we did have a 3-way and it was fine in the Alps on hookup.

We intend to be more self-sufficient this time around (off grid). The money is not so much of an issue on the swap.

We are torn on what to do but whilst the van is being sorted we thought its a better time to do the fridge as well?

Any thoughts would be welcome

thank you

I find the 3-way fridges absolutely fine. They run on gas, don't need that much of it, and don't drain the batteries.

If you're not able to recharge your lithium batteries while you're off grid (maybe because there isn't much sun) then I'd expect your gas supply to last a lot longer than your batteries before they need to be recharged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Our compressor fridge was great for the long ferry journey from Portsmouth to Santander. We couldn’t have done that with our old 3-way. Also, the compressor fridge kept the temperature of the contents the same whatever the temperature outside. Our old 3-way couldn’t do that (especially in very hot weather). The freezer in our compressor fridge can store ice cream - our 3-way couldn’t do that. I’d never go back to a 3-way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Thank you.

It seems a mixed bag. We will be using the van throughout the year but not hang around more than 2 or 3 days in any one spot.

280W solar and 300AH lithium battery

Does the 3-way use a lot of gas (sorry not sure from the answers).

If there is a fair split on the answers we will leave it as is.

Thank you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you.

It seems a mixed bag. We will be using the van throughout the year but not hang around more than 2 or 3 days in any one spot.

280W solar and 300AH lithium battery

Does the 3-way use a lot of gas (sorry not sure from the answers).

If there is a fair split on the answers we will leave it as is.

Thank you

It depends, I think, on the fridge. Somewhere in the region of 200 to 400 grams a day. Let's say 300? Then an 11kg gas bottle should last about a month.

On batteries, if you draw say 30 or 40 ah a day using the fridge then maybe 100-120 ah during a stay. Well within capacity - you would have say 240 ah usable from a 300 battery. So use some power for other stuff, and you may need to charge 200 back in. This will take time, even with a good B2B.

This assumes that solar isn't helping. If it does help then it will obviously take less time to charge it up when you move on.

I have 150 lithium and a B2B, can't be bothered with solar for this van, never spend more than a few days in one place, and have all the power I need for all purposes. But I do have a 3 way fridge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
@all thank you

If I stick with the 3-way, assuming it will be mostly gas as we won't often be on hook up then this would be offset with lower gas usage on cooking as we would use the microwave/air fryer. If we have a compressor then this will compete with the other appliances and maybe we then use more cooking gas.

Travelling will top up the battery even in winter, assuming little to no solar.

Having said that then gas is competing with the heater which is also gas.

We have an underslung 25L LPG tank. Taking PaulW2 figures then 300grams per day will take some time to deplete but again this is against cooking/heating).

Difficult because there is no clear answer here in which case I guess its best to leave it alone.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
I’m really sold on compressor. Gas is now becoming an issue, even though I have Gaslow.

I would change tomorrow but mine too is a wheel arch model and I can’t find a compressor replacement

If you find one, let me know. And I’ll be over to Offgrid!

Tony

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back