Fridge stopped working Help... (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
We have had the fridge on all night, stocked it up with cold food from our home fridge, about to leave home and noticed the Fridge was off, no indications on the light panel so can't select gas. there is 240v to all the power sockets, both 20amp fuses in the EM40 box ok any hel greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Sorry the Model is RMS8501, the control panel is completely dead can't select any other options.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Does 12v work when engine running, and I believe the same fridge panel fuse controls the step buzzer ? In the imala/tracker/ auto trail newer styles like yours near the relay under the bench seat.. Is that working.
Then maybe check behind drivers seat in floor fuses

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We have had the fridge on all night, stocked it up with cold food from our home fridge, about to leave home and noticed the Fridge was off, no indications on the light panel so can't select gas. there is 240v to all the power sockets, both 20amp fuses in the EM40 box ok any hel greatly appreciated.
Assuming this is a three way fridge (gas, 12v, EHU) and has an 'auto' setting and you are still on EHU with the 'Auto' setting selected, the only thing I can suggest is make sure it's turned on. If it is, then there is a problem somewhere (fuse, loose connection, etc). Good luck.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
There will be 2 12v supplies to the fridge. There should be a constant one (fused) that is there for the control of the fridge. The second will be when engine is running. You need to make sure you have the constant one going to the fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
The fridge worked perfectly yesterday, this morning the control panel showed no lights, none of the buttons work, all fuses are ok so I'm guessing the PCB board has failed, we have travelled down to Exeter, stop the night here before moving on to Falmouth in the morning. We are currently looking for a second hand under counter fridge for sale in the local adds, will put this in the awning until we can see what's going on with the Dometic. Thanks for all the replies.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You can loose the control panel lights if the ribbon cable connections between the control panel and control module are poor , it could be worth checking them in case this is the cause of your problem.(. Dometic 8 series with P860 control module on the rear of the fridge ) or the earlier 8 series , with a long power control module behind the control panel, has a fuse on it that could need replacing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
We have the same fridge in our AT. It’s the 12v supply that feeds its control board and lights so they will work even if the 240v supply is absent (don’t ask me how I know 😉). Can you pull out the panel, it slides forward, and check with a multimeter whether you have 12v at the board? Also check the connections as suggested by GeoffnDee. If there’s no 12v present it’s either a blown fuse or bad connection. If 12v is present the board may have failed. Good luck, it’s a pain to have a fridge problem while away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
We have the same fridge in our AT. It’s the 12v supply that feeds its control board and lights so they will work even if the 240v supply is absent (don’t ask me how I know 😉). Can you pull out the panel, it slides forward, and check with a multimeter whether you have 12v at the board? Also check the connections as suggested by GeoffnDee. If there’s no 12v present it’s either a blown fuse or bad connection. If 12v is present the board may have failed. Good luck, it’s a pain to have a fridge problem while away.
Thanks for that, I stupidly didn't bring my meter so can't check if I have 12v at the board, apart from the 20amp fuses in the Em40 and the main MBC 10amp where are the other fuses, there aren't any on the panel board.

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2017
Princes Risborough
Funster No
MH
Fleurette
Exp
18 months
sounds like your control panel has blown. We had the same symptoms with our 8501 and after a summer of using a portable fridge finally got a replacement panel which solved the problem.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for that, I stupidly didn't bring my meter so can't check if I have 12v at the board, apart from the 20amp fuses in the Em40 and the main MBC 10amp where are the other fuses, there aren't any on the panel board.
If you have a spare bulb and a couple of bits of wire you can check.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
sounds like your control panel has blown. We had the same symptoms with our 8501 and after a summer of using a portable fridge finally got a replacement panel which solved the problem.
Yes I'm thinking it's the control panel, They cost around £200 depending on who you buy from, there is also the main PCB board which I don't know it's location that could be the problem.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The main Fridge PCB is either behind the control panel (early Dometic series 8 models) or on the rear of the fridge, marked type P860 (later Dometic series 8 models .)
robnchris ,There is a service manual for the earlier Dometic 8 series models , showing the PCB, on page 2 of the manuals for motorhome stuff section in Resources ( found at the bottom of this page)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Which Sargent PSU do you have?

The fridge circuit board, as has been said, is behind the fridge control panel in the RMS8501. If you open the fridge door and feel the underside of the control panel you'll find a 'button' that you push up to free the panel and allow you to pull it forward. You can then inspect the circuit board and back of the control panel to see whether anything looks amiss. Check the ribbon cable connections as well. You could also check the 12v supply with a spare bulb, as MichaelT suggested.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Thanks for all your comments, the plot thickens, don't know if it is connected but the cab radio doesn't work, I checked the inline fuses to the radio and both of those are ok.
We have a Sargent EC500.
I'm guessing the Cab Radio runs off the Hab Battery rather than the Engine Battery. The Fiat Handbook shows the Radio running off 20 amp fuse which is fine, along with the Tacho, Climate Control which both work fine, Battery Disconnecting Unit (whatever that is).
Removed the front control panel on the Fridge that is "Type MES4-C2 Dometic 289 0186-01 CE-0085AU0268" all looks as new, our motorhome is an Autotrail Apache 2013. the fridge is an RMS 8501.
If there are any other fuses in the system I don't know where to find them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I do not know if it will help , but the EC500 wiring showing the connections to your fridge through it are in Resources , Motorhome technical articles , page 1 ( it shows the fridge 12v heater high power supply via the EM40 and the control (low power) supply via the EC500

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all your comments, the plot thickens, don't know if it is connected but the cab radio doesn't work, I checked the inline fuses to the radio and both of those are ok.
We have a Sargent EC500.
I'm guessing the Cab Radio runs off the Hab Battery rather than the Engine Battery. The Fiat Handbook shows the Radio running off 20 amp fuse which is fine, along with the Tacho, Climate Control which both work fine, Battery Disconnecting Unit (whatever that is).
Removed the front control panel on the Fridge that is "Type MES4-C2 Dometic 289 0186-01 CE-0085AU0268" all looks as new, our motorhome is an Autotrail Apache 2013. the fridge is an RMS 8501.
If there are any other fuses in the system I don't know where to find them.
with you saying radio, what is the Sargent unit, is it the 325

1720118821952.png

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
You can loose the control panel lights if the ribbon cable connections between the control panel and control module are poor , it could be worth checking them in case this is the cause of your problem.(. Dometic 8 series with P860 control module on the rear of the fridge ) or the earlier 8 series , with a long power control module behind the control panel, has a fuse on it that could need replacing.
I concur that if the panel is dead it could be the ribbon connector. They have a habit of chaffing causing loss of power to the control panel. Recently had mine replaced whilst touring Poland.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Incidentally I've read of lots of people asking if the Cab Radio runs off the Hab battery or the Vehicle Battery, I suppose it depends on the Vehicle but all the Autotrail's we have owned have all run off the Hab Battery and Not the Vehicle Battery.
The fuse that had blown which took out the Fridge and the Cab Radio is as GeoffnDee explained Number 5 marked Permanent Supplies in the EC500 unit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back