Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have always left the fridge door slightly open on the small extender hooks when the MH is not in use.

This is because we were told, way back at handover, that the fridge can develop really nasty smells if the fridge is stood not in use for more than two days with the doors shut.

But what about people who leave their MHs at a garage for repair or servicing which takes longer than the two days ? Do they leave the fridge doors shut and does a bad smell actually develop, or do they leave the fridge doors slightly open on the little clips ?

The clips on ours are fine to hold the fridge door open if the vehicle is stationary, but would certainly let go if the vehicle was taken for a drive and hence the fridge doors could slam open going around a corner causing expensive damage to them.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I would think two days closed would be ok.
Cant you leave the fridge door on the clips when you drop if the van and tell the garage if they are test driving it to close the doors.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Never had a problem with the clips. We just leave it locked in the ajar position.

Ours are cheap, chatty little things. I am getting some checks done at a garage and really want the fridge doors locked shut, or slightly open, with no chance of them moving in case they take it for a run.

I wonder if dealers leave the fridge doors ajar when they have stock in the yard for months ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never had a problem driving any van we have had with the fridge on vent setting in any of our vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Latch it open, then gaffer tape the door so it cannot open further. If it's proper gaffer it will come away clean afterwards, if not use some isopropyl alcohol to remove the residue.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
leave it wide open for 24 or better 48 hours, then it will be dry inside, and you can lock it shut without a problem.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
leave it wide open for 24 or better 48 hours, then it will be dry inside, and you can lock it shut without a problem.
Only if you thoroughly wash it out with bicarb and water first. Then insert one of the cheap chemical dehumidifiers before shutting the door. Even if you think it's dry it will still create mould very quickly if warm and has been used. Many years back I sold fridges as part of my job, usually taking the old one away. It didn't matter how clean it looked, if you shut the door and left it for a few days it was rank.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Only if you thoroughly wash it out with bicarb and water first. Then insert one of the cheap chemical dehumidifiers before shutting the door. Even if you think it's dry it will still create mould very quickly if warm and has been used. Many years back I sold fridges as part of my job, usually taking the old one away. It didn't matter how clean it looked, if you shut the door and left it for a few days it was rank.
Our Liebherr fridge always gets left wide open after we have used it. Sometimes it later gets closed by mistake and is left so without any issues. Modern materials maybe?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just leave a towel folded and draped over the top of the fridge door to keep it slightly open.....

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

Our fridge will not have been used for a couple of weeks, with the door open. Do you think it would now be safe to close the door and not have it smelling ?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Our fridge will not have been used for a couple of weeks, with the door open. Do you think it would now be safe to close the door and not have it smelling ?
It depends how long you will leave it closed.

I went in to my van this morning, I realised Mrs CAB shut the fridge the Thursday before last. It was fine, it had been vented for a week since the last use.

But I wouldn't want to leave it another fortnight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back