Fresh Water Fill Overflow (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
When filling the fresh water tank, is it usual for water to overflow from the tank "under the MH" or should it come out at the filler point.

I ask as after renting a couple of MH we are looking to buy.
From rental very limited rental experience filling with water and observation of others the water overflows from the filler point.
We looked at a swift last week and, I may be being over cautious, but after initial inspection and test drive I asked to fill the fresh water and
waste to check for leaks. While filling nothing leaked out of either but when "full" the fresh water overflowed under the van which was
unexpected to me, hence the question now.
The owner said they all do that??

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Ours does have an overflow out under the MH but that said if the flow in to the filling point is too fast it will blow back through the filler as well.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ours flows out from just in front of the rear wheel.
We make sure that the fill rate is less than the overflow rate.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
There is also a third option, it pixxess out all over the floor if the top cap is loose or you have a design fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
It's a common problem on Auto-Trail PVCs. The air vents in the top of the underslung tanks have extension pipes which are set too low so once you fill over 75% the water siphons out of the vents. The solution is to shorten the pipes and/or turn them up so they're horizontal.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Seasoned
We have a Swift van conversion and the fresh water overflows from under the vehicle somewhere. I have never felt the need to find out where exactly. We once filled the fresh water to overflowing before travelling but we ended up with three quarters of a tank on arrival.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
When I fill I always purge the taps and fill the hot water tank whislt still connected to the tap. This way you will always have a full tank when you get to your pitch otherwise you lose 10 litres to hotwater and another 10 litres or so purging the system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's a common problem on Auto-Trail PVCs. The air vents in the top of the underslung tanks have extension pipes which are set too low so once you fill over 75% the water siphons out of the vents. The solution is to shorten the pipes and/or turn them up so they're horizontal.
Our Geist does this a bit. If you fill it to the top, it starts siphoning and you lose about 10 litres.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back