Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Probably put in 10 litres a day, but we’ve never been that far from a tap.

We did use more when we were using our own shower of course, but even so, 20 litres probably did it. (y)

Deleted User
You'll get a bit p'd off doing half a dozen trips to the tap everyday with a watering can! Two of us use about 40l each day and that's when we're trying to be frugal.
Do you shower in you Moho? We use 20ltrs max a day, and that’s not being frugal (couple). Use a separate 5ltr container for drinking though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last van only had a 100 Lt tank so I use to carry 2 x 20 Lt containers in the garage and pump it over with a submersible pump.
In the current van I did fit a Hella socket in the garage so I could plug a pump in but never needed it as the tank is 160 Lt.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Outside & she chucks a bucket over you then. :LOL:
Actually there's some truth in that 😏 our van has got an external cold shower point and I have been known to use it in Spain 😁 (it's not grey water... I'm usually quite clean so it's just white 😇)

Mainly have to shower with the hoi polloi though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Actually there's some truth in that 😏 our van has got an external cold shower point and I have been known to use it in Spain 😁 (it's not grey water... I'm usually quite clean so it's just white 😇)

Mainly have to shower with the hoi polloi though.
Only cold, a bit lax of you Richard when I fitted one in the garage it's hot & cold. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't understand watering cans. I've noticed the odd one lying around the garden though. I can last 5/6 days with a 220 litre tank which is often longer than I stay on any one site. Longer stays can mean moving the van but the grey will need draining then anyway. I carry a lot of hose too. And travel with the tank full.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
M
You'll get a bit p'd off doing half a dozen trips to the tap everyday with a watering can! Two of us use about 40l each day and that's when we're trying to be frugal.

Our water usage must be about 100l a day, but that’s both of us showering and using the dishwasher twice a day

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We usually fill up on arrival at site. Have a hose with various fittings that usually reaches the input on the van, 10m I think. But we also carry an extension hose which will join it. Needed that on a CL recently. We then will top up sometimes with watering can. Depends on whether we are taking the van off site and how easy it is to access the tap.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I don't understand watering cans. I've noticed the odd one lying around the garden though. I can last 5/6 days with a 220 litre tank which is often longer than I stay on any one site. Longer stays can mean moving the van but the grey will need draining then anyway. I carry a lot of hose too. And travel with the tank full.
Our fresh water tank is 90 litres. ;)

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
200l is a huge weight. I know A-class vans can have generous payloads but... if nothing else it must cost a lot in fuel and brake pads to cart that lot around. Also, I've found that you can meet some really nice people in the queue to fill your watering can.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As well as adaptors it may be worth carrying a disinfectant spray or wipes.... You don't know who's been using the tap before you or what with.
If a tap is near an elsan it may have been used for swilling out a cassette.
Give the tap a wipe/spray and run a few seconds before connecting.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
200l is a huge weight. I know A-class vans can have generous payloads but... if nothing else it must cost a lot in fuel and brake pads to cart that lot around. Also, I've found that you can meet some really nice people in the queue to fill your watering can.
I've never noticed much difference in consumption whatever I do other than if I reduce speed. Weight full is 220Kg. The van's on a 5.4T chassis though.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Watering can works for those with a 40 litre tank who go to campsites and use the showers there. You'll get bored very quickly filling a more serious 200 litre tank with a 5 litre watering can. Some can't even be gravity filled. Mine has a choice of hose or submersible transfer pump which can fill from a aquaroll/collapsible bucket etc. To fill by pouring, you'd have to remove the bed as the fill point is below the top of the water tank.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I get expandable hoses at cost from China (current shipment is two months late... so far) so replace them every year, currently got every length known to man in green, blue & orange stuffed into a drawstring bag so could probably reach every part of a campsite and a million hozelock attachments. 50L Aquaroll and 12v pump which is powered by an additional socket in the garage.

We both use the shower twice a day so we end up using around 50L every day and get a bit of exercise lugging the waste hog around. Elsil in the tank and aquaroll.
Cassette toilet? Only liquids and if my meds go into overdrive I've been known to fill that in a day.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Make sure you get one with a long spout - standard length doesn't pour very well due to the angle we've found.
Make sure you get one with a long spout - standard length doesn't pour very well due to the angle we've found.
I find that watering cans are the most awkward shape to try and store so much prefer a 10L rectangular water carrier. Have connected a home made gismo to extend the pouring nozzle that came with it. Find if we need more after setting up 10 trips to the tap (100L) would see us through for 4 days if we were self contained. We use an extendable hose which to my surprise has been brilliant except it is only 40m which has worked most times but just ordered another so 80m would be more than enough. Don't need a food grade hose as we only drink bottled water or wine.

Amazon product ASIN B07KQRH414

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back