French Visa (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Has anyone tried and been successful in applying for a French Visa. I have just spent some time on completing the French Visa application but became stuck on the last few questions. Where they ask the question where will you are staying.
Camp site/Hotel etc.

Very interested if you been successful and what did you put as accommodation.

Thanks Colyboy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
for 12 months ?
It’s valid for 12 months from issue, the issue date being when you want to enter France but obviously you are restricted to the length of the visa itself. So with the normal 90 days which can be added on either before or after it gives you 9 months of legitimate travel in France and/or Europe.

I don’t understand your 12 months question I’m afraid.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
the only reason I ask is, if you are considering a Spanish NLV, as an example.

I would have thought a 12 month French Visa may be an advantage for those seeking to avoid Spanish Tax evasion from sale of UK/Overseas property sales.
Surely the only way to avoid tax in spain would be to become a resident of a different country for tax purposes.

A visa is for a temporary stay in another country, which is why they do not exceed 180 days, if you are a uk citizen and want to avoid spanish tax, the easiest thing would be to move back to the uk, to go to any other individual country would require obtaining residency. I guess you could wander off around the world for a year, but that might cost you more than any saved tax.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Glad I saw this thread. Now we have a new van I'm thinking of doing this next year. Our trips before Brexit were always 5 or 6 months over summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
A visa is for a temporary stay in another country, which is why they do not exceed 180 days,
That's not strictly true. For France, there are two types of visa. The first is called the TLS-T and is for stays UP to 12mths and it is not renewable. The 2nd one is is a TLS-TS, a 12mth visa...this can lead to a residence permit and is renewable.

Colyboy.....are you simply wishing to spend more time at one go in France or a move, lock stock and barrel, to France ?

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Has anyone tried and been successful in applying for a French Visa. I have just spent some time on completing the French Visa application but became stuck on the last few questions. Where they ask the question where will you are staying.
Camp site/Hotel etc.

Very interested if you been successful and what did you put as accommodation.

Thanks Colyboy
Is there an issue with a UK registered vehicle being in France for more than 6 month (export time limit) ?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Please explain if you want to go to France for Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan then Spain Feb/Mar/Apr how to do it as i’ll give it a bash

I don't know. I guess you have to go through the rigmarole of applying for long stays visas for each trip? That's why 2 or even 5 year visas would be better. It came across like you were being sarcastic towards me but I'm not sure why??

funkyfunky

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2013
Lassere-De-Prouille, Aude, France
Funster No
MH
c class Mercedes 310d FFB
Exp
I live in France full time and apart from the bureaucracy and unreliable businesses it is great. Nothing to do with the question, just wanted to bore you all. Enjoy your trips all and just get on with life. xx

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I don't know. I guess you have to go through the rigmarole of applying for long stays visas for each trip? That's why 2 or even 5 year visas would be better. It came across like you were being sarcastic towards me but I'm not sure why??

I wasn’t being sarcastic at all imo but would like to know why you think i’m crazy for applying for a visa so i can travel for 9 months

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I wasn’t being sarcastic at all imo but would like to know why you think i’m crazy for applying for a visa so i can travel for 9 months

Oh dear, it looks like we've both done the classic of reading things the wrong way :) I wasn't saying you were crazy at all. i was saying the system of having to apply for every trip is crazy. If it were a simple process, it wouldn't be too bad, but it seems hellishly complicated and with many pitfalls, making planning a holiday an absolute nightmare. Because I moved to France before Brexit, i never realised how complicated and convoluted the French Long Stay visa process could be......until I joined in this thread. The link I posted close to the start of the thread highlights all the hoops you have to jump through to get a visa application accepted. I know certain checks must be made but the suggestion of providing 'a night time scene' in your MH to show French officials of how you use your MH really does seem like madness beyond belief!

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Me?
I can't see how you get that impression??

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Look it’s a very straightforward process, it’s time consuming to collect all the required documentation (depending on how organised your home filling is!).
It’s a pain to have to attend the pre screening appointment but overall it was fine.

Next year’s application will be even easier as we are now in the system and know what to do.

For snowbirds like us and Al n Val its a brilliant work around for the situation (Brexit).

HKF you don’t have to apply every trip! It’s a visa stuck in your passport….its a magic pass into Europe via France.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Is there an issue with a UK registered vehicle being in France for more than 6 month (export time limit) ?

2.1. Who Must Register a Vehicle?

French law requires that if you are staying in France for longer than six months (in any twelve months), then the vehicle must be formally registered in France and plated with a French registration number.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back