French tool roads and Crit Air (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I've been thinking about the two issues above and have a couple of questions please:-
1) On toll roads , I understand you take a ticket at the entry point and put the ticket in at the exit point and then pay.
Does Revolute work?
Is it at the exit point if you have been wrongly classed, you push the button and say "Juis sui un camping car" (spelling)?
Does it take notes?

2)On Crit Air (mine is a class 4)
When approaching a permanent zone , say Lyon , are there signs and an opportunity to get off the road before you get fined?
Do signs apply to the temporary zones or do you just check the website?

Thank you all...................................

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
2)On Crit Air (mine is a class 4)
When approaching a permanent zone , say Lyon , are there signs and an opportunity to get off the road before you get fined?
Do signs apply to the temporary zones or do you just check the website?

Thank you all...................................

I have been trying for months to get an answer to the question of how the local authority promulgates when a temporary zone becomes active, but have had no answer, even from members who are resident in France.

TThe problem may be that no temporary ones have been activated yet. Perhaps the Mayors are waiting for the central government to supply the funds to buy the measuring equipment - would be a common French problem

OR

There is no emissions problem and the whole thing is a waste of time, excepts for the bureaucrats.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The main route N/S through Lyons is exempt from the Crit Air requirement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Yes you take a ticket on entry to toll section and pay with card on exit. All cards are accepted (debit/credit - visa/MasterCard) I've used all sorts and never had a problem but not revolut but I cannot see it being a problem. I'd always have an alternative when travelling anyway. I use Chase Debit, Halifax Clarity Credit, or Barclaycard rewards credit. All good for foreign use.

Shouldn't be wrongly classified. It measures you based on height. Advantage for me as we are 4250 but get classified as 3500.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No problem with using Revolut paying tolls , it’s all we use abroad

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
No problem with tolls with revolut, only problem we had on way back self service petrol pump would not authorize due to not having enough credit for 100 euro transactions, but locked the 70 euro balance in as an incompleted transaction, took a couple of weeks to cancel transaction, so aways have a back up plan.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Normally OK, but very good idea to have a backup card just in case, one of the tolls on this trip wouldn't take either revolut or my zero card ( both with plenty of credit) and I ended up having to put cash in. Still a lot around that arent contactless either.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We’ve seen signs on the motorway around Toulouse indicating which classes are prohibited from the city centre
I was about to say so. Living next to Toulouse , I've seen one or 2 signs . But I seldom go to Toulouse anyway.
Best thing is to ask google : carte des ZFE de "town"
Example : I've asked : Carte des ZFE de Toulouse . Got a few links but the first one was the one!

Try with a town you need to know this thing, and look if the link has the "www.lavignettecritair.fr/zfe/carte-"the town"

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Sometimes there is no ticket at the entry to a fixed rate of toll road. You just pay the fixed fee on exit, mostly straightforward

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I rarely use toll roads but did discover at one (after standing round scratching my head) that in order to activate the barrier I had to be pretty close to it. I travel solo and used to leave plenty (i.e. too much) of room for getting out and walking around the front of the m/h to the pay machine.

Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Sorry to but into this conversation but with Motorhome's can somebody tell me what they come under with the Critic Air Sticker in France, on the website i am looking at you have 1 to 5, i have put in the fuel type but in the vehicle type section it doesn't state camper van or Motorhome so what do our Motorhomes or Campers come under on the list, the Motorhome we have is 2023 and the emissions should be very low. I have never ordered one before so would like to get this correct and i know some of you know the drill with the Critic Air Sticker.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Motorhome is M1 classification.

Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Thank Orion for the information. I have been trying to get this sorted out but so far it has asked for Euro 5,6 ect and i have not got anything on my reg cert and to top it all it is saying serial type, haven't a clue what this is and is not on the reg cert, it's so confusing i am a bit stressed now. I will try again tomorrow, wanted this really for next week but now sure if i will get it now.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Motorhome is M1 classification.

M1 is correct, but if you scroll down to 2.5.1 then a Motor Caravan is 'Special Purpose', so officially it is M1 (Special Purpose), which also matters when one is looking at other legislation, in UK and elsewhere, where Special Purpose is differentiated from other M1 vehicles.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thank Orion for the information. I have been trying to get this sorted out but so far it has asked for Euro 5,6 ect and i have not got anything on my reg cert and to top it all it is saying serial type, haven't a clue what this is and is not on the reg cert, it's so confusing i am a bit stressed now. I will try again tomorrow, wanted this really for next week but now sure if i will get it now.
Just leave it blank, they'll work it out from the V5 copy you'll be uploading. Once done, the email confirmation you'll get serves as a temporary CritAir 'sticker'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back