Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
800 miles in and we’re in Chenonceaux, hoping to go up in a hot air balloon tomorrow if we can talk the kids into it🙏🏼😂
The old girl drove amazingly well and the cruise control was a treat on such a long run.
Question re French Tolls, I’ve noticed we’ve been getting spanked as a Class 3 - I think technically we are, though have heard of people challenging this saying it’s their tv aeriel/satellite etc on the roof that’s taking them over the height and getting let through as a class 2.
Has anyone done this or have experience of doing so?
We took a wrong turn at a service station and ended up on a toll which we had to pay only to turn back round🙈😂. We did explain on the ‘help’ button but they they weren’t very ‘helpful’
Thanks

IMG_8269.jpeg

Feb 19, 2023
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Imala 736g
My previous post seems to have gone walk-about. Just to say the French club for motorhomes and caravaners negotiated a flat Class 2 rate for all MoHos even if overheight (and provide a special tag for their members to ensure this) but the principle is there so try asking nicely. You might have been unlucky with the operator that time.
Can you provide the URL for the French club please?

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years
When we had our Burstner A747 we used to press the help button and say:

Camping car classe 2 s'il vous plaît

Worked 90% of the time and makes a huge difference.

Personally I think all uk vehicles should be exempt from paying road tolls in France, after all, we don’t charge them anything when they come here 🤔😲
🤣🤣 as long as they avoid our toll roads/bridges/tunnels

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
But apart from the M6 toll and some bridges and tunnels we don't have tolls, nor does Germany so should they also not pay, I'm sure that will go down well with the French 😀
No tolls in Scotland. Did away with bridge tolls years ago. Dartford bridge and tunnel must have paid for themselves 10 times over.

Upvote 0

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
It is La Federation des Campeurs, Caravaniers et Camping-Caristes. Search on www.ffcc.fr
I'm presuming this is the section on the site?

Ulys motorhome toll collection​

The FFCC and VINCI Autoroutes offer you the Ulys campervan toll badge. It allows campervan drivers whose vehicle is eligible for class 2 to avoid being upgraded at toll barriers. This solution guarantees that the class of the campervan is correctly taken into account even if it is equipped with an antenna, a trunk or any other accessories on its roof.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I'm presuming this is the section on the site?

Ulys motorhome toll collection​

The FFCC and VINCI Autoroutes offer you the Ulys campervan toll badge. It allows campervan drivers whose vehicle is eligible for class 2 to avoid being upgraded at toll barriers. This solution guarantees that the class of the campervan is correctly taken into account even if it is equipped with an antenna, a trunk or any other accessories on its roof.
That looks like the right area but it is a long time since I had one and I'm more familiar with reading it in French. I have no dog in this fight because all 3 vans we have ever owned over the past 18 years have passed successfully as Class 2 every time. I simply take the tag out of my car and put it in the van for the duration of our trip. You have to be a member of the FFCC to get one and they act as Vinci's filter. Reading the last sentence carefully it is not clear whether a bona fide, but over-height, motor home would be Class 2 even if it exceeded 3500 kg but I thought that was the original purpose of the negotiation; to distinguish between motor homes and commercial vehicles that should pay Class 3.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
800 miles in and we’re in Chenonceaux, hoping to go up in a hot air balloon tomorrow if we can talk the kids into it🙏🏼😂
The old girl drove amazingly well and the cruise control was a treat on such a long run.
Question re French Tolls, I’ve noticed we’ve been getting spanked as a Class 3 - I think technically we are, though have heard of people challenging this saying it’s their tv aeriel/satellite etc on the roof that’s taking them over the height and getting let through as a class 2.
Has anyone done this or have experience of doing so?
We took a wrong turn at a service station and ended up on a toll which we had to pay only to turn back round🙈😂. We did explain on the ‘help’ button but they they weren’t very ‘helpful’
Thanks

View attachment 929475
Get yourself into Germany it is all toll free

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We have angles morts stickers on and do ask politely for Class 2, never had an issue. Also use a Tag now and havent seen a Class 3 on the bill funnily too (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Was in France last month and used the tolls a lot as we had places to be. I'm over 3.5t but 2.9m high. Was only ever charged Class 2, never needed to ask for anything different.
I just pay what is asked but rarely use toll roads in France

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back