Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Just wondering...

Would Our Blessed Leader (May his name be praised forever) consider making up some Funster FLT and PROUD badges?

I would buy one (if reasonably priced).

JJ :cool:
Where would he post it ?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
How about the old Dover road aire, have seen french and German motor homes leave by the entrance side to avoid paying in one case even made a van that was trying to come in back up to let them out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What a ridiculous comment. You have never heard a car start up in the night? You want to throw rocks at another motorhome because they leave early in the morning? Perhaps you should stay in a hotel with double glazed windows.
You have obviously never been on an Aire when one of these idots arrive at midnight drive around for 20 Min and when the finally park leave the engine running for 15 minutes while they mess about slamming doors.
Also been on sites with people driving around at 1am in the morning.

If you read my post properly you properly wouldn't have made that comment.

Reactions: TCG

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
It happens regularly on French Aires where a man comes round either tea time or early morning. It seems to be a French thing. We saw someone argue with the collector one evening, drive off the site and return half an hour later when the money collector had left. This was in Samur.
I think this may have something to do with a lot of the aires now being installed with barriers, catching out the frogs and others who know roughly what time the collector arrives and arrive about a half hour later then disappear by 7.30 am, all for the sake of 4or5 Euros, beggars belief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we stayed at Porteragnes Plage in the South of France during Summer leave, we when to the Tourist Office to pay - as per sign board, but were informed that collection was around 17:30 - 19:30 by the Gendarmes. :rolleyes: When they arrived I went to get the money, but they only came to settle a dispute between 2 of the units and never collected the money. In fact it ended up 4 Gendarmes and 3 Municipal Police,o_O so I'm sure at least 2 of the Gendarmes were meant to be on money collection duty, but some argy bargy was better.:rolleyes:
The following day, we left and went via the Tourist Office, but were told again, Gendarmes collect money so I left with a clear conscious that at least I tried.(y) I could have followed advice above and sent money to Marie, but after being told twice - Gendarmes collect Money, left it at that. ;)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I normally do use lay by's and roadside parking I find a lot less judgemental people with no evidence to back their claims there :xwink:
i am a free camper i have used cls and i have seen folks come in after dark and dump their wast and sneak out before thaiy have payed.
I have seen folks empty the honesty box take the eegs the farmer leves out without paying
should i go on
i am a free camper but would never use facility with out paying for them when expected to
BILL

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
i am a free camper i have used cls and i have seen folks come in after dark and dump their wast and sneak out before thaiy have payed.
I have seen folks empty the honesty box take the eegs the farmer leves out without paying
should i go on
i am a free camper but would never use facility with out paying for them when expected to
BILL

Good for you Bill a man after my own heart, my problem with everything thats been said on here is from my own experience, ie over 50 years of camping sometimes working on campsites occasionally helping with rallies and in all that time I have only ever seen 3 people behave the way you and others seem to state is a common occurrence.

There always are and will always be a few despicable people around in all walks of life, but lets not let our own bitterness and prejudices exaggerate and label them as one type of camper or dare I say even call them campers of any ilk.

Reactions: Jim
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Good for you Bill a man after my own heart, my problem with everything thats been said on here is from my own experience, ie over 50 years of camping sometimes working on campsites occasionally helping with rallies and in all that time I have only ever seen 3 people behave the way you and others seem to state is a common occurrence.

There always are and will always be a few despicable people around in all walks of life, but lets not let our own bitterness and prejudices exaggerate and label them as one type of camper or dare I say even call them campers of any ilk.
It's not a every day ocurance but I have seen all those things happen unfortunately one incedent gets every one tard the same
Bill

Last edited:

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
It's not a every day ocurance but I have seen all those things happen unfortunately one incedent gets every one yard the same
Bill

Now unfortunately thats true :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I'm not defending people for not paying, but for people who use a MH as a tool, if there is no one to collect the money early in the morning what should they do?

Send it to the mairie! Easy

Mairie , service des aires de camping car, name of the village with postcode (internet will give it to you, or the local cars on their plates).

When a person is honest , there's always a solution.
Anyone who doesn't want to pay should stay by a lay by. And that goes for anyone whatever the nationality. I guess if I was seeing a van leaving without any payment I would give them a shout and write their number plate down . The town / village relies on those payments to make it live, cut the grass , have everything fixed when it's OOO. Yuk HOOHOO to them
You go to an aire? ok! You must pay if asked, you don't arrive later than 10pm or leave earlier than 7.00 which is the law in France. On Sundays law against noise varies according to each town . Usually is added "no noise from noon to 3.00pm/4.00pm. It means that for example you are not allowed to mow your lawn at those times of the day.

I love staying on a lay by, but if I go to an aire I DO PAY just like I would in a campsite. My view.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have been told off on a stelplatz in germany for doing washing on a Sunday :xsurprised: the second time I thought he we go as a big German came over at speed, looked at our :xwink: Super Silent Honda generator and 6kg spinner, :xsmile: and said very good we have the same. :xThumb: Bob.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
The "silence" rules in France tend to be ignored most of the time...until you get caught because someone complained. If anyone complains it will straight away be taken seriously.
When you give a party in your flat or in your house with very near neighbourhood then you must say it to the people around you, or just invite them so they can't complain. After 10.00pm you should put the sound down and be quiet. If not, don't be surprised if the gendarmes come along to remind you the law.
They are much more understanding when it's summer time, or when there's a big sportive event. Let alone les gilets jaunes xroll::xangry:
Also if the Aire is out of the town/village the rule doesn't apply.

Edit Of course this rule doesn't apply to public work (roads, sews, building shops etc...)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back