Freeloaders not Welcome (23 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
When I applied for my HGV OPERATORS LICENCE, one of the requirements was that I HAD to have off street parking for them and a financial bond.

IF HGV's can park 'anywhere' why was this necessary I wonder? šŸ¤”

Part of that is to ensure that you are running a bona fide and well run/organised business rather than a fly by night outfit.
Parking arrangements
Finances
Servicing agreements
Etc etc

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There is no if. As long as they are street legal and not causing an obstruction, vehicles can park anywhere. Problem is, HGVs have a lot more restrictions, even if they are not deemed to be causing an obstruction. verges pavements for example.
And this is the problem, although it may be legal, there are so many restrictions that, if someone objects and say they are causing an obstruction, loss of view, blocking of light etc. it is very difficult to prove it's not, so the Police will ask the Operator to move it and if the driver is on their regulated driving break, one has to get another driver out to do it even if it's at the top of Scotland! šŸ˜”

As I said, it might be legal but ........

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Unless it's really where I want to be it would..
Campsites are not really for Motorhomes, most are way out of town only really suitable for tuggers with cars in the UK.
Why bother spending over 100k on a Motorhome with full facilities then go and pay extortionate rates to stop somewhere where you are paying for facilities you don't need or want.

Currently spending our third night freeloading on a car park in Cordoba Spain.
Short walk to centre of town, spent money visiting attractions, in bars and eaten out both days we have been in the town.
Yes Lenny at least you do realise your a freeloader many on here don't I spent over 100k on a motorhome and still enjoying paying for campsites not one or the other I can still do both.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Part of that is to ensure that you are running a bona fide and well run/organised business rather than a fly by night outfit.
Parking arrangements
Finances
Servicing agreements
Etc etc

Strange thing was, when I applied for my PSV OPERATORS LICENCE a yard was not a requirement?

Just a financial bond for each vehicle.
(This was NOT needed on the truck as I stated earlier)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes Lenny at least you do realise your a freeloader many on here don't I spent over 100k on a motorhome and still enjoying paying for campsites not one or the other I can still do both.
I think we all get your drift in that you have plenty of money to throw around. Let me say that you are lucky. A lot of motorhome owners purchase it as an investment against the cost of holidays abroad, expensive hotels, campsites etc. That significant investment may represent a big part of their available assets and they may not have the everyday cash availability that you obviously do. Not sure why you can't understand that some need to save expense in order to keep the motorhome on the road. Please try to be kind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I think we all get your drift in that you have plenty of money to throw around. Let me say that you are lucky. A lot of motorhome owners purchase it as an investment against the cost of holidays abroad, expensive hotels, campsites etc. That significant investment may represent a big part of their available assets and they may not have the everyday cash availability that you obviously do. Not sure why you can't understand that some need to save expense in order to keep the motorhome on the road. Please try to be kind.
Another one from the prophet šŸ˜‡šŸ˜‚

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
What I can't understand is people who freeload think that spending a few quid in the local shops negates the need spend on a stopover. Why not support the local campsites etc as well or would stopping on a campsite stop you spending in the local shops. šŸ™ˆ

Is it a Brit thing where its considered being a freeloader and you are made to feel guilty for not spending money on sites and throwing your money around local shops if you are out enjoying your motorhome? I ask because I have been on Aires in rural France in the middle of nowhere where they are free, sometimes even have electric and there have literally been no shops! :LOL: Granted thats rare but I remember one near Cognac that was just like that. I remember riding about on the bike just to see if I could at least buy a baguette but, no literally nothing. The French though are not like us. They feel it is their right to have somewhere to park and they would prefer it to be free.

I don't think we as motorhomers owe anyone a living and I don't think we should be made to feel bad for not spending money on sites or anything else for that matter. Of course we will and we do.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Iā€™m currently at the Grantown on Spey Caravan park in Scotland, as I walked into town I noticed an Autotrail parked on a side street (not on the caravan park) with stickers on all four sides - Freeloaders not Welcome here.
Sadly this town had lots of nice boutique shops and pubs when we were here last year and now half of them have shut. I wonder why?

View attachment 945882

How witch burnings start, exhibit 350 :LOL:

So we have an anonymous person outraged by what they think about someone they don't know.

Not a law that is being broken, or a neighbour who is being inconvenienced, or a delivery that can't get past. A 'freeloader' no less. Who took nothing from the person with the stickers, who didn't fail to give this person their dues, and who didn't fail to pay for any identified services used.

No, just a freeloader because I have moral certainty and I know your type.

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
How witch burnings start, exhibit 350 :LOL:

So we have an anonymous person outraged by what they think about someone they don't know.

Not a law that is being broken, or a neighbour who is being inconvenienced, or a delivery that can't get past. A 'freeloader' no less. Who took nothing from the person with the stickers, who didn't fail to give this person their dues, and who didn't fail to pay for any identified services used.

No, just a freeloader because I have moral certainty and I know your type.

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."

It could, of course, just be the home owner of the house where it's parked, trying to get their point across?

As has been said, it's easy to jump to conclusions? šŸ˜†

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
It could, of course, just be the home owner of the house where it's parked, trying to get their point across?

As has been said, it's easy to jump to conclusions? šŸ˜†
Or the envious owner of a mahoosive motorhome that would look out of place parked up in the street and who has to pay site fees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back