Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
What I can't understand is people who freeload think that spending a few quid in the local shops negates the need spend on a stopover. Why not support the local campsites etc as well or would stopping on a campsite stop you spending in the local shops. šŸ™ˆ

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I also wouldn't be happy but who would you complain to? Forget going to Plod, they will not be interested.

Generally when I've seen this sort of thing happen or have particular "hassle" showing an anti MH / camper attitute I take pictures, explain how much I have in fact spent in their town / area and copy it all to the councillors on facebook / twitter and email them too. Generally I inform them of the issue, point out that visitors are the ones that are helping keep the shops open on their high street and that I wont be doing so any more and encourage any others not to visit if their council is unwilling to embrace us as another demographic that contributes to their economy, then I'll usually give examples of other uk towns and a link to Campra.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
What I can't understand is people who freeload think that spending a few quid in the local shops negates the need spend on a stopover. Why not support the local campsites etc as well or would stopping on a campsite stop you spending in the local shops. šŸ™ˆ
It stops me spending the campsite fee yes.

To be clear, Im not averse to a campsite stop, I tend to use whatever stop is best for my situation inc my wifes need for her mobility scooter and my walking distance. So, if there's a "freeloading" parkup thats closer to our destination and a campsite is 2 or 3 miles away then the campsites not getting my money, simple. So it's not as cut and dry as you imply in your post ie freeloader = cheapskate. Many have already said in this thread they dont use campsites but spend quite a lot of money where they stay.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I suppose I could say I spend quite a bit where I live,
I also pay quite a bit of council tax because I choose to live here in a nice place,
I also support all of the small business that operate in my area.
I have no problem with any van/Motorhome parking for free in an allocated space, or even parking outside my house for a few hours while shopping/visiting but if it was overnighting things could possibly be a bit different.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

To be clear, Im not averse to a campsite stop, I tend to use whatever stop is best for my situation inc my wifes need for her mobility scooter and my walking distance. So, if there's a "freeloading" parkup thats closer to our destination and a campsite is 2 or 3 miles away then the campsites not getting my money, simple. So it's not as cut and dry as you imply in your post ie freeloader = cheapskate. Many have already said in this thread they dont use campsites but spend quite a lot of money where they stay.
I can understand your situation but park in town during the day see what you want to see then pay to stay "overnight" on a campsite surely you don't need to overnight where your not welcome.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There are a lot of unthinking (to put it politely) people out there and, because of this, I cannot park my van completely on my driveway despite there being space.

I have to park it sticking out onto my private pathway because, on 3 occasions, people have parked in front, blocking me in and they're nowhere to be found.

The last time, a lady banged on my door objecting to the polite letter I had left under her wiper, refused to move and to sue me for damage to her wiper.(There was none)
She rang her husband, he came, saw me and persuaded her to move!

I now restrict the space so no-one can park, I wouldn't mind anyone parking there if I knew where to find them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021

I can understand your situation but park in town during the day see what you want to see then pay to stay "overnight" on a campsite surely you don't need to overnight where your not welcome.

Im confused now as I thought Id explained my attitude to parking quite well. I've looked at my post and cant find anywhere that I said that I would park where Im not welcome? This is all negated of course by the fact that your post seems to suggest that a campsite is only for staying over and we wont like to go into town at night?

Certainly when we've stayed at Fort William that's a usual Ā£100-Ā£150 quid stopover for us one night on the Lidl carpark as we usually are in town all day and late into the evening then breakfast fry up next day. Nearest campsite is 5-7 miles away and would definitely cramp the spending in the local economy quite severely.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
While trailing well behind much of Europe, we are welcome in plenty of places which are not (expensive) campsites, particularly with more enlightened councils/organisations.

And there's nothing in law to exclude us from most places (even if, personally, I am very considerate/selective when choosing my "spot").

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Im confused now as I thought Id explained my attitude to parking quite well. I've looked at my post and cant find anywhere that I said that I would park where Im not welcome? This is all negated of course by the fact that your post seems to suggest that a campsite is only for staying over and we wont like to go into town at night?

Certainly when we've stayed at Fort William that's a usual Ā£100-Ā£150 quid stopover for us one night on the Lidl carpark as we usually are in town all day and late into the evening then breakfast fry up next day. Nearest campsite is 5-7 miles away and would definitely cramp the spending in the local economy quite severely.

If that is your 'normal' spend on a one night stop over, you have to accept, you are the exception rather than the rule?
Some people would only expect to spend about a tenth of that on a wild camp stopover?

PS. I wonder what you spend on the following night after you have stocked up at Lidl? šŸ¤”

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
He didnā€™t suggest heā€™d park in a place where he would be unwelcome.. I think you made that bit up
šŸ¤£

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I am yet to do a "pub stop" but like the idea should I ever want to. I do prefer a CL or CS and the option to visit the local pub if I want to. I use my motorhome as a means to get away from home so I guess replicating "home" isn't for everyone.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Should have checked if any security cameras were around. I'm sure what he did was a criminal offence.
It can be viewed as defacing or vandalism. As it can obstruct the drivers view, maybe something more.

The reason my Local Mercedes Garage ended up getting Double Yellow lines outside, was partly due to me.

I had horrendous issues with a car that I purchased that could have proved fatal. After many, many many returns to the garage, it was involved in an accident, causing damage to one of my other Mercedes vehicles at the time.

Enough was enough. So I parked it outside with 8 x A4 notices in the window detailing the faults and shocking service I had received from Mercedes.

I went away on holiday, left the car outside. They found out where I was staying and they faxed a solicitors letter demanding I remove the car or they would sue the pants off me.

I rang a friend and asked if my car was still outside. He said it is, but the garage have covered it with black bin liners.

A quick call to the garage demanding they uncover the car or I would call the police to report them.

Within an hours, the notices were in full view with the bags removed.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
When we eat out we expect as good as what we cook at home at least, if not better !
If not I take it up with the staff and wonā€™t eat pub pies in a dish with no pastrie on the bottom as I would call that stew with a flakey turbin on top. šŸ„§
Haha, youd like some we go to,
One we dropped into even did the brother inlaw a sunday dinner with a pie, proper pie mind. One in Norfolk was more like an old school suet pudding

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
if he was in a side road where there are houses, they could have been visiting someone who lives there, instead of using the free parking nearby..
just a thought..
Exactly. We recently visited an elderly parent whilst on holiday in Scotland and his street is too narrow for the motorhome so the van was parked in a residential area for a few nights. Who knows the circumstances.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Exactly. We recently visited an elderly parent whilst on holiday in Scotland and his street is too narrow for the motorhome so the van was parked in a residential area for a few nights. Who knows the circumstances.

Everyone could if you left a note in the window telling anyone where you could be contacted if you were causing problems. šŸ¤”

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We never use campsites, we always street park, in the UK and sometimes use a Stelplatz or Aire in Europe.

We are careful about where we choose to park, never illegally, nor outside someoneā€™s house or where it might cause a problem or we feel we are not wanted. We rarely stay in the same place more than one night, as we enjoy exploring.

In the last three years, we have covered over 30k miles touring the UK and Europe and not once had a problem.

We have had 3 occasions where folks have knocked on our door, each time has been to admire and ask about the van, not to complain.

So it seems that we are freeloaders and long may it continue.
We are similar and have just spent 5 weeks in Greece and no campsites, but our average spend was euro 60pd - are we FLTs?

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Years ago we were lost on a country road in Wales, it was around 9pm and we happened upon a small pub we called in and asked could we please park there as we were so tired. The Landlady came out and looked at the van and said yes. The pub was empty and she was about to close but we asked for a couple of drinks and could we bring our dog in with us, that then turned into more drinks and a meal of pie and chips (cooked by her husband) then another couple came in and we sat chatting to them so we had more drinks, it was around 10.30 before we left :giggle:

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
&
Everyone could if you left a note in the window telling anyone where you could be contacted if you were causing problems. šŸ¤”
Not something I would do or advise .... as it's effectively an invitation to any passing scumbag/thief/neer-do-well that here is a nice juicy unattended and unoccupied "target" that is likely to contain a good quantity of valuable & nickable items (and that's not counting the vehicle itself).

Personally, we will often buy a nice meal in town as we like to eat out when away, but I always park well away from residential properties UNLESS it's one to which I have been specifically invited, and I generally prefer to find a deep layby or similar off-road location somewhat out of town for overnighting ... as (A) I prefer countryside locations, and (B) I'm something of a NON-social animal/miserable-auld-bugger who often doesn't like people, and (C) I'm something of a Cheapskate/Free-Loading-Tosser (** delete as desired) who begrudges paying rip-off/over-priced fees for what is effectively nothing more than overnight parking for my self-sufficient vehicle.

Funnily enough, we passed through Grantown about a month ago on our way back from "Thunder In The Glens" in Aviemore as we have done every year for circa 15 years, and we had a delicious meal in a cheesy american themed diner in the High Street.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
&

Not something I would do or advise .... as it's effectively an invitation to any passing scumbag/thief/neer-do-well that here is a nice juicy unattended and unoccupied "target" that is likely to contain a good quantity of valuable & nickable items (and that's not counting the vehicle itself).

Personally, we will often buy a nice meal in town as we like to eat out when away, but I always park well away from residential properties UNLESS it's one to which I have been specifically invited, and I generally prefer to find a deep layby or similar off-road location somewhat out of town for overnighting ... as (A) I prefer countryside locations, and (B) I'm something of a NON-social animal/miserable-auld-bugger who often doesn't like people, and (C) I'm something of a Cheapskate/Free-Loading-Tosser (** delete as desired) who begrudges paying rip-off/over-priced fees for what is effectively nothing more than overnight parking for my self-sufficient vehicle.

Funnily enough, we passed through Grantown about a month ago on our way back from "Thunder In The Glens" in Aviemore as we have done every year for circa 15 years, and we had a delicious meal in a cheesy american themed diner in the High Street.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but, one of the practices for scumbags to ascertain if a camper is empty, is to just a hard bang on the side while passing it, if you emerge and challenge them, they deny it," must have been that guy on that bike guv"
If no-one emerged, after a short wait, it's fair game.
It doesn't need a note. šŸ˜„

OR, instead of a note, just leave a telephone number? Better than a broken windscreen! šŸ¤”

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Any vehicle, even an HGV, that is duly taxed and MOT'd may park where there are no restrictions and where it cannot be shown to be an obstruction, even if it is outside someone's house. Could be construed as discourteous, but not illegal.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Or to put it another way..

No vehicle has the right to park on the road.

Not even outside your own house.

Offence is obstructing the highway, which is why clear roads, which councils turn into parking bays and charge folks to use them, irritate me more than a little.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why not support the local campsites etc as well or would stopping on a campsite stop you spending in the local shops.
Unless it's really where I want to be it would..
Campsites are not really for Motorhomes, most are way out of town only really suitable for tuggers with cars in the UK.
Why bother spending over 100k on a Motorhome with full facilities then go and pay extortionate rates to stop somewhere where you are paying for facilities you don't need or want.

Currently spending our third night freeloading on a car park in Cordoba Spain.
Short walk to centre of town, spent money visiting attractions, in bars and eaten out both days we have been in the town.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Any vehicle, even an HGV, that is duly taxed and MOT'd may park where there are no restrictions and where it cannot be shown to be an obstruction, even if it is outside someone's house. Could be construed as discourteous, but not illegal.
When I applied for my HGV OPERATORS LICENCE, one of the requirements was that I HAD to have off street parking for them and a financial bond.

IF HGV's can park 'anywhere' why was this necessary I wonder? šŸ¤”

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
IF HGV's can park 'anywhere'
There is no if. As long as they are street legal and not causing an obstruction, vehicles can park anywhere. Problem is, HGVs have a lot more restrictions, even if they are not deemed to be causing an obstruction. verges pavements for example.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
There is no if. As long as they are street legal and not causing an obstruction, vehicles can park anywhere.

As before.

Technically, every vehicle parked in a road is causing an obstruction.

I used to get called to residential areas where some vehicle couldnā€™t get past parked cars.

We explained that we would ticket both sides of the road and sometimes for quite a distance too. The locals very quickly sorted themselves out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back