Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
For a change, we decided on Newhaven to Dieppe rather than Hull to Rotterdam or the Tunnel. Last did this in a car in 1990s. The journey down was no worse than the drive to the Tunnel and we were able to park for the night right at the terminal for our 9:30 am sailing on Wednesday. There is supposed to be a £5 charge but we could no one who seemed interested in collecting this. So thank you Newhaven.

As it was a daylight sailing and only five hours, we didn’t bother with a cabin. Found comfortable seats with a table and a view. The view didn’t disappoint as we departed with the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head bathed in sun. A very evocative (for me) image.

1725521402413.jpeg

The food on the ferry was ok and reasonably priced and we were almost the first off the ferry when we reached Dieppe. Usual uninterested French police stamped our passports and, as it was 3pm, we drove only a couple of hours to a site we’ve booked at Moyaux, Calvados country.

It was warm and we spent a pleasant evening. Rain was forecast and on cue, it started in the small hours and is set to rain pretty much until Saturday! This is the view from my bed this morning. 🥲

IMG_1769.jpeg

The forecast for the next couple of weeks here and in Brittany are poor so we are looking to change plans to explore Brittany and head south. Initial thoughts are to head towards Tours, Limoges then Argelés or thereabouts. But plans may change and evolve. This is part of the fun of this hobby.👍

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
What a difference a day makes! Rained all yesterday but this morning, when I went for my run at 07:20, it was dry, the sun was just rising and there was mist all over the fields. There was a strong smell of apples and all the small farms on my route into (and out of) Moyaux were selling calvados. Will definitely buy a bottle as we’re not sure we’ve ever tasted it.

Then it was sunny and warm and everyone was hanging out their damp clothes from yesterday. Had a swim in the pool and this evening, we had a delicious pizza and a plate of tapenade with fresh bread all washed down with a lovely rosé.

Tomorrow we move onto Chateau Valliere on the Loire- a place that is close to our hearts being one of the first places we ever camped since coming to France in 1989.
We’re making our way slowly down to Marseillan Plage aiming to arrive there on the 12th.
IMG_5671.jpeg
IMG_5670.jpeg
IMG_5672.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The weather is fickle, we are a little west of Nantes and had a lovely sunny afternoon today but tomorrow looks showery and Sunday very wet. The problem is the forecast keeps changing! The forecast for Avignon is now sunny after this weekend for the next two weeks but yesterday it was forecasting rain for two weeks. Where we are now was supposed to be very wet for the next two weeks but now it says things will improve after mid-week.

I think we'll just keep drifting south, but not quickly. :)

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
What a difference a day makes! Rained all yesterday but this morning, when I went for my run at 07:20, it was dry, the sun was just rising and there was mist all over the fields. There was a strong smell of apples and all the small farms on my route into (and out of) Moyaux were selling calvados. Will definitely buy a bottle as we’re not sure we’ve ever tasted it.

Then it was sunny and warm and everyone was hanging out their damp clothes from yesterday. Had a swim in the pool and this evening, we had a delicious pizza and a plate of tapenade with fresh bread all washed down with a lovely rosé.

Tomorrow we move onto Chateau Valliere on the Loire- a place that is close to our hearts being one of the first places we ever camped since coming to France in 1989.
We’re making our way slowly down to Marseillan Plage aiming to arrive there on the 12th. View attachment 945508View attachment 945509 View attachment 945510
What a lovely looking spot... what is it called please?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
The weather is fickle, we are a little west of Nantes and had a lovely sunny afternoon today but tomorrow looks showery and Sunday very wet. The problem is the forecast keeps changing! The forecast for Avignon is now sunny after this weekend for the next two weeks but yesterday it was forecasting rain for two weeks. Where we are now was supposed to be very wet for the next two weeks but now it says things will improve after mid-week.

I think we'll just keep drifting south, but not quickly. :)
Yes, we know what you mean about forecasts! Mrs Ingwe swears by the BBC weather forecast, whereas I use a weather app that uses local resources, here Meteo France. Today was supposed to be showery but it’s been dry and sunny all day. Tonight feels quite balmy.

Both our forecasts suggest that it will be sunny at Marseillan Plage by 14th September, so we’re heading south, like you slowly.
Safe travels.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Have a great trip, and you must get some Calvados. It’s worth paying for a good bottle the difference is very noticeable.

By the way, I’m not 100% sure but I think the Met Office lost the BBC weather contract and more it’s done by Meteo France.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
It was only a threat they still do it. Met Office is OK for UK but not much cop anywhere else.
BBC site says in association with Meteogroup?

I know there was a big fuss about it. The BBC forecast always differs slightly from the Met forecast.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Had a very pleasant drive to Chateau Le Valliere (near Tours) down mostly the empty A28. It is a Saturday but even so, traffic was very light. A thunderstorm was forecast for later today and as we parked up at the campsite, seemingly its only motorhome, the sky darkened to almost dusk-brightness and the heavens opened up. There were a few claps of thunder and we were pleased to have set up before le deluge. How hard it rained is apparent from the little video.

We had stayed here, in a little tent, 24 years ago and, while the toilets, wash-hand basins and showers are all new, the block within which they are sited, is the original. The young receptionist said we could park anywhere and as I say, I think that apart from one chalet being occupied, we are the sole occupants. Rather nice to wallow in nostalgia, listening to the rain pattering down, enjoying a cuppa and a biscuit.
IMG_5684.jpeg
IMG_5683.jpeg
IMG_5682.jpeg

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
After a truly peaceful night, we awoke refreshed to blue skies and sun. It was a little chilly and the van wasn’t parked in the sun. The showers, beautifully clean and all available to us as their only potential users, only boasted barely luke warm water, which was a slight disappointment given the other good features of the relatively cheap site (€16.10).

We were given cheery wave from the young receptionist whose Sunday must seem to last an eternity if no punters are arriving! First officer Mrs Ingwe, had picked a free park-up 150 miles away at La Chatre. After a very pleasant almost solitary drive there on the D943 we arrived at the parking at La Chatre only to find a funfair in full, noisy action and the sole space available did not appeal with the haphazardly parked, poorly kept cars in the motorhome spaces. The noise alone would have had us move on but neither of us felt good about stopping so adopted plan B. This was an 18 mile drive to Bonnat, to a free parking site with fresh water, grey waste and allegedly black waste available. There was a grill over what I believe was the only possible black waste receptacle and no way of lifting the grill soI’m not convinced it has black waste. Anyway, we have plenty of space in the cassette until we arrive at tomorrow’s site.

There is a brocante taking place in the small picturesque town centre only 100 yards walk from the parking. This included marching drummers and a number of floats. And there was an unexpected bonus of finding an open artisan boulangerie on a Sunday with a full range of excellent breads and pastries, both sweet and savoury. So of course we bought both a pain and a couple of savoury pasties for a salad supper this evening. Drinks are a Brewdog Black Heart for me and a kir for Mrs Ingwe.

Bonnat parking

IMG_1777.jpeg

Bonnat procession

IMG_5690.jpeg

Salad supper

IMG_1780.jpeg

Tomorrow, we are heading for Souillac, to a cheap, but interesting-looking campsite. Today’s experience should allay any French travel newbies’ anxieties over the need to book spaces. You can, of course, book spaces especially if you intend staying in one spot for several days. But if like us, you’re travelling a long way and simply need overnighters, you can almost always find somewhere free and safe to spend the night and enjoy, unexpectedly, the delights of French village life. 👍

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Drove about 155 miles to Souillac which was uneventful. We’d booked a night at Flowers Camping in Souillac. It’s webpage promised a bar/restaurant along with a heated pool but on check-in discovered that the bar/restaurant was closed, exceptionally, that night. Not really that surprised given the number of times we’ve found that restaurants and bars at campsites, claimed to be open, are in fact closed.

There had clearly been a lot of rain recently as there were lots of puddles on the road and all pitches were slightly damp and muddy, despite the grass. Still, we spent a peaceful night and this morning, emptied the cassette, topped up to 60% with fresh water (as we are spending the night on a freebie at Puylaurens).

Camping Ondines, Souillac

1725988531396.jpeg

1725988596503.jpeg

Again, an uneventful drive to Puylaurens down the A20, D168 etc save for the final mile or so. The sat nav which has the van’s dimensions, directed us down a road wholly unsuitable for a motorhome. Luckily, Mrs Ingwe never relies solely on satnav and, along with a paper map and Google maps, found a suitable route to the free parking. This was surprisingly full but we got a space and set off to explore the delights of Puylaurens.

Satnav suggested road to parking

1725988697579.jpeg

1725988752326.jpeg

It definitely feels like the south of France now and the architecture has changed to that more often found in Spain. The town was delightful with narrow, twisting streets and medieval buildings. There was a school called Jean d’ Arc but we doubt the Maid of Orleans actually attended. 🙂

Puylaurens

1725988849529.jpeg

1725989149047.jpeg

1725989214054.jpeg

1725989768545.jpeg

1725989325970.jpeg

We stopped to refresh ourselves with a Perrier menthe at a small café before returning to the van. Tonight we’re looking forward to a rather yummy homemade lasagne bought from a traiteur. Tomorrow we have another stage of about the same distance as today, aiming to spend the night at an interesting looking site, Moulin de L’Espagnac, Vias near Beziers. Then we we should only be about an hour away from Marseillan plage where we stay for 10 nights. We have enjoyed our multi-stop trip south, in search of the sun even though our initial plans were to further explore Brittany.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
After a good night’s sleep we drove 150 odd miles down the A61, A9 to Moulin de Espagnac, right next door to Beziers Airport. This is a bit of a strange site-a cross between an aire and campsite. ECU is available, though we opted for the €13 per night pitch without electricity. Although there is a lovely but small pool, there is no black waste dump, only one toilet (without door lock) and two showers near the pool.

Le Moulin de Espagnac

1726066576172.jpeg

1726066633199.jpeg

Grey waste disposal is available at all pitches (I think) and there may be potable water too. There’s a tap near each pitch but I’m unsure whether the water is drinkable. Further enquiries needed.

1726066802051.jpeg

The host, while not unpleasant, is not especially welcoming and is not forthcoming about much. Only payment by cash is available. Something that never endears me to a place. The site is guarded by huge iron gates and you use an intercom to announce your arrival. This was ignored for five minutes or so and we were just about to telephone when the gates started to open.

There are enticing notice boards promising grills, pizzas and other food, drinks etc but so far, nothing is open. There are lots of vans here including some behemoths whose fun site is probably called CouncilblockofflatsFun.com

This pitches are sizeable on what looks like volcanic ash. We may get a neighbour soon judging by the number of vans arriving. Anyway, we’re only here for a night and we’ve had a great swim. This evening we will sally forth in search of an open bar for a glass of chilled rosé. The temperature is up to 25° but there is a brisk breeze.

1726067074123.jpeg

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Further to my earlier post of today, I was mistaken. There is a blackwater disposal point. It is marked “grey” water but another guest confirmed that it was the black water drain.
The bar has come alive so post supper, we’re off for a small rosé or two.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back