Ford transit 2009 moho base - prone to rust? 🤔 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
We are considering buying a motorhome - it has everything else that we need but it's on a ford transit 2009 base and opinions seem to be they're prone to rust - any thoughts / experience of this? The van is in Weston super mare and we are in Glasgow so not easy to get a proper look ourselves and don't know anyone down there 😞. Also not sure how thorough a pre purchase inspection from RAC/as really is or whether to consider this. Thanks 👍

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Ours is on a 2008 Transit and has zero rust issues, it’s clean underneath and only a few marks on chassis, with none on the body panels.
I guess it has never really been used in winter, so never received the delight of road salt.
Overall I’d say there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the design or manufacturing process, the rusty builders trucks we all see out there are probably due to use or more likely abuse.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
My Hobby T500 2007 on a Ford Transit chassis shows no signs of rust. FYI it is new to me this year and has had several previous owners.

P.S. I would be very reluctant to purchase such a vehicle unseen. There is so much more that can be wrong with a MoHo rather than say a car where I have done that on the clear understanding that it would would be returned if not as described when delivered.

Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
We are considering buying a motorhome - it has everything else that we need but it's on a ford transit 2009 base and opinions seem to be they're prone to rust - any thoughts / experience of this? The van is in Weston super mare and we are in Glasgow so not easy to get a proper look ourselves and don't know anyone down there 😞. Also not sure how thorough a pre purchase inspection from RAC/as really is or whether to consider this. Thanks 👍
Private sale or dealer ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
It depends how it has been used. Transit forums are full of rust problems, but probably any van suffers the same way.

But I would not take the chance on it being rust free without you seeing it for yourself with a screwdriver in one hand and a magnet in the other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
It depends how it has been used. Transit forums are full of rust problems, but probably any van suffers the same way.

But I would not take the chance on it being rust free without you seeing it for yourself with a screwdriver in one hand and a magnet in the other.
Hmm not sure anyone wants to let me loose with a screwdriver 😂 but i get the sentiment cheers 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back