Fogstar App

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Hi, I am new to the whole van electrics but trying to understand it all better. On my Fogstar App I understand the dial and that the battery is currently charged at 91%. The screenshot was when the shore power was connected. Is the current, which shows 58.7A, telling me how much current is going in to the battery? At times this can be a minus number so I assume that it is discharging?

Also I am unsure what the Power, at 804.2W is showing me as this is not 13.7 x (300 *0.91)

Thank you for your patience

Screenshot_20241025_151932_Fogstar Drift.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Simply, yes it is the power going into the battery ....the grown ups will be along eventually to give a technical explanation..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
13.7v x 58.7A = 804w

Yes, you're charging.

Power (in watts or joules/s) is the flow of stored energy (kWh or Ah or joules) over time.

If everything used the same SI units, it'd be less confusing.

OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Thank you. I was looking at it as power available to the appliances (so the wrong way around).

When the current is minus then what is it telling me?

thank you again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Amount of power being drawn from the battery.

Let's say that the only input I have is solar and that is giving me 5A. The appliances are using 1370W (100A). Would the current then show -95A ?

thank you

OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
If I turn off the Charging option then I guess that the battery will not accept a charge from any of the three sources B2B, Inverter/Charger or Solar?

Is that correct?

thank you

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
If I turn off the Charging option then I guess that the battery will not accept a charge from any of the three sources B2B, Inverter/Charger or Solar?

Is that correct?

thank you
Yes if you turn charge off in the app then the battery will not accept a charge from any source.

OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
headlight thank you

I have seen a number of threads on here suggesting that it is not good to leave you battery on charge permanently (lithium). However, I spoke to Roger at Offgrid and he said that over the expected life of the battery it really doesn't make a lot of difference. I'm happy to go with Roger as he is the expert but wanted to know that if I got 'jittery' I could turn off the Charging (input) rather than having to unhook at home.

thanks all

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2019
Can I assume you have the 280ah battery ? as mine charges to just under 310ah .
Lucky begger, my 280 charges to 304! It all seems a bit random for something I thought would be pretty binary.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
headlight thank you

I have seen a number of threads on here suggesting that it is not good to leave you battery on charge permanently (lithium). However, I spoke to Roger at Offgrid and he said that over the expected life of the battery it really doesn't make a lot of difference. I'm happy to go with Roger as he is the expert but wanted to know that if I got 'jittery' I could turn off the Charging (input) rather than having to unhook at home.

thanks all
Since I have had my lithium set up I have not needed to put the van on EHU when at home the solar is keeping it at a good state of charge and I have a battery master that tops up the starter battery as required😊

OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Speve we are also near Salisbury so getting the same sun as you at the moment.

The van is parked next to the side of the house and the 260W solar is not getting enought sunlight to make a difference. That and the van is new to us so we spend more time in it than in the house. Just working through everything is time and power consuming. It is also a very relaxing space so we are both reluctant to go back in the house

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

The van is parked next to the side of the house and the 260W solar is not getting enought sunlight to make a difference. That and the van is new to us so we spend more time in it than in the house. Just working through everything is time and power consuming. It is also a very relaxing space so we are both reluctant to go back in the house
We are at Netheravon and you don’t need full sun all day to keep it topped up ours probably gets sun for three or four hours at most at this time of year lithium is the best thing I have done with our van.😊 We do have 400w of solar on top.👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL

I'm in Cardiff and a single 115 watt panel kept my 2 x 100AH lead acid leisure batteries and my starter battery, via a Battery Master, topped up over the first 2 winters.
Since last Xmas I've got 2 x 115 watt panels and a 230AH LifePo4 and Battery Master and again it was fine.
We don't get much sun in South Wales lol

OP
OP
C
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-Line 635
Speve Nomansland in the New Forest.

headlight not heard of a Battery Master but looking it up it charges your engine battery from ehu?
If this is correct (not sure) then I am covered here because the Inverter/Charger trickle charges the vehicle battery. I am unsure here if it does it continually or when the leisure battery is full or when the ehu is on, or if its smart enough to detect the veh battery needs it. Could be any of those or maybe something else.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

headlight not heard of a Battery Master but looking it up it charges your engine battery from ehu?
If this is correct (not sure) then I am covered here because the Inverter/Charger trickle charges the vehicle battery. I am unsure here if it does it continually or when the leisure battery is full or when the ehu is on, or if its smart enough to detect the veh battery needs it. Could be any of those or maybe something else.
It charges your engine battery from your leisure battery

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL

The Battery Master does not run from EHU, it trickle charges the starter battery from the leisure battery when it detects that the starter battery is 0.7v below the leisure battery voltage.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
No problem going to 14.2 but don’t have to. Capacity related to amps in cell at 14v

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The Battery Master does not run from EHU, it trickle charges the starter battery from the leisure battery when it detects that the starter battery is 0.7v below the leisure battery voltage.
I did not say it ran from EHU clonkel said that earlier
No the battery master is independent of any ECU I fitted it for a bit of cover when NOT using victron multiplus through EHU trickle charge. It will still keep my starter battery topped up via leisure battery😊

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back