Flat Sardines

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
My wife and I have crossed the Channel numerous times, most usually to Dover with DFDS and the last few trips have caused my wife great distress and no little fear when returning to our vehicle

When we have gone to the correct floor and exited from the stairs to the vehicles we have invariably had as little as 9 inches before the side of a wagon is in front of us The space between bumpers of cars vans or wagons is very often less than 9 inches

Once all the wagons start their engines it is quite a terrifying experience trying to locate our vehicle, so much so that my wife is quite frankly scared

We both understand that space equals money to the Ferry companies so they get as many vehicles on board as possible however is there a straight forward answer to this problem? Do all Ferry companies pack the vehicles so tightly or do any of you good people know differently?

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
rather than an implication it could be bought
I never thought otherwise, just wanted to highlight that 'the badge' is something a person is eligible for or not eligible for rather than something one can aspire to and somehow work towards and hope to achieve by meritorious effort.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'm sure most people that find themselves needing the badge would prefer not too. My mother had one my father refused as he failed to admit he had issues. However if they had not dropped the tolls on the Severn bridge I wonder if he would have felt differently :whistle2:

Upvote 0

Boringfrog

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Me and my partner used to get down to the car deck as soon as they tell you until one time we got down the stairs and the door to the deck was still locked, with everyone coming downstairs behind us it was quite claustrophobic.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
DFDS dover > dunkirk , never had a problem can walk between lines of vehicles carrying a bag . Same across the fronts. was like that long before covid & since then I haven't seen a full ferry ?
Another reason that the inability to walk between is not acceptable ,certainly to me, is the dog is in the vehicle & if I need to get him out I don't wish to be walking over vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
In my town, big 4x4’s are everywhere and mostly driven by the opposite sex, who honestly struggle in them
Not sure that is true just as many men struggle with them as well

Most here would not be able to drive or keep up with the likes of

VBH or maybe the late Sabine Schmitz

There are just as many good women drivers as men.....

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not sure that is true just as many men struggle with them as well

Most here would not be able to drive or keep up with the likes of

VBH or maybe the late Sabine Schmitz

There are just as many good women drivers as men.....
Just facts I’m afraid, very affluent town with a lot of rural surroundings. There an infants school in my village and nearly all the muffia drive big 4x4’s and the parking and consideration for others is shocking. Thoughtless selfish people. Most don’t live in the village but think nothing of parking in driveways, across driveways, with one selfish mother, deciding that using the road wasn’t for her and just drove across the middle of the village green, trashing it with her wheels spinning side to side. Then there was the mother that blocked one drive, just when the owner was leaving to take her little one to a school. When asked to move, the selfish woman said in the most poshest of voices, oh why don’t you f-off. Headmaster had to deal with that one. Same out shopping, same in the car parks, same in the town.

Probably are men too, but I can only state what I see daily with the opposite sex struggling down the lanes, using them in town and trying to park in the Waitrose. Should see the ones driving the 4x4 Bentleys and the 4x4 Rolls Royce 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Some of the older ferries struggle for deck space as cars have got bigger over the years. The distance side to side of the vehicles is thus reduced and the company has no control over this. More modern ferries have marginally wider lanes.
My wife and I have crossed the Channel numerous times, most usually to Dover with DFDS and the last few trips have caused my wife great distress and no little fear when returning to our vehicle

When we have gone to the correct floor and exited from the stairs to the vehicles we have invariably had as little as 9 inches before the side of a wagon is in front of us The space between bumpers of cars vans or wagons is very often less than 9 inches

Once all the wagons start their engines it is quite a terrifying experience trying to locate our vehicle, so much so that my wife is quite frankly scared

We both understand that space equals money to the Ferry companies so they get as many vehicles on board as possible however is there a straight forward answer to this problem? Do all Ferry companies pack the vehicles so tightly or do any of you good people know differently?
When you check in you should inform them of the wife’s issues. They would then try to load you by the stairs

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Blue Badge - here one applies via the local council.

I have just been told my application was successful - application done on line, a telephone interview, a note that I had been seen by an OT (who suggested I apply), notes of hospital admissions / tests, pay the fee and that was it.

No questions about benefits, just how far I could walk unaided and what difference it would make.

The Ex-Gasman Mum got hers on age grounds. Over 90 and it was automatic. My sister applied on her behalf as Mum continued to use Dad's badge :( I'd offered to get her one and Mum refused, my sister didn't ask Mum just went ahead and applied on her behalf!!

I think every council area has different rules though.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Just facts I’m afraid, very affluent town with a lot of rural surroundings. There an infants school in my village and nearly all the muffia drive big 4x4’s and the parking and consideration for others is shocking. Thoughtless selfish people. Most don’t live in the village but think nothing of parking in driveways, across driveways, with one selfish mother, deciding that using the road wasn’t for her and just drove across the middle of the village green, trashing it with her wheels spinning side to side. Then there was the mother that blocked one drive, just when the owner was leaving to take her little one to a school. When asked to move, the selfish woman said in the most poshest of voices, oh why don’t you f-off. Headmaster had to deal with that one. Same out shopping, same in the car parks, same in the town.

Probably are men too, but I can only state what I see daily with the opposite sex struggling down the lanes, using them in town and trying to park in the Waitrose. Should see the ones driving the 4x4 Bentleys and the 4x4 Rolls Royce 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
What a horrible place to live!!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I think every council area has different rules though.
As I understand it (I have 'blue badge' friends in a number of areas) 'the rules' are supposed to be national but there's no accounting for personal variations in application of them as local authorities with human staff do that. And each location choses what benefits are offered to the blue badge user.

Upvote 0

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
As I understand it (I have 'blue badge' friends in a number of areas) 'the rules' are supposed to be national but there's no accounting for personal variations in application of them as local authorities with human staff do that. And each location choses what benefits are offered to the blue badge user.
Yes there is a national set of rules for eligibility, and it’s not only for people with mobility issues. Each council form is slightly different as they have some local interpretations. There are national rules about street parking, and you get a booklet with your badge that tells you these. Then car park concessions are up to the “owner” of the car park. We are fortunate in that our local council, South Kesteven, gives free unlimited parking in all its car parks. Other councils my only give the wider designated bays, or maybe an extra hour of free parking after what you have to pay for. At our hospital you have to register your card with the hospital authorities, and then it covers all three main hospitals, for free parking. Always check the car park signs.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I remember years ago being told of a thalidomide (not sure of the spelling) born early 60's being refused as although they had no upper limbs they could walk !!

Got it on appeal Bl@@dy unbelievable, but that a council for you

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
No bother on the tunnel.For a real experience of tight parking try a Greek Ferry,,You have to exit your vehicle before the next row park,,probably 3 inches apart.BUSBY
Yep, the Greek sailors are masters at cramming you in! It is not unusual for my partner to explode, " you have got to be fxxxing kidding, mate!."
But...unfortunately we all drive wide vehicles and if you are in amid loads of huge pan European trucks it can be a bit challenging but that is , I'm afraid something we have to live with. It amuses me that we are now going off on a tangent about how much bigger cars are now, whilst swerving the fact that most of us have vehicles about 2.3 metres wide!

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

It’s a school run, now I don’t have kids but through observation it is both men and women who have bad practice picking up and dropping kids off,

Those 4x4 Bentleys and Rolls Royce are probably owned by the women you observe who run business’s and a home. Many men escape the school run because….well they are men

To try and use the school scrum to say women can’t handle the car they drive isnt really the full picture

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Another reason that the inability to walk between is not acceptable ,certainly to me, is the dog is in the vehicle & if I need to get him out I don't wish to be walking over vehicles.
Didn't think you could visit cargo deck during crossings..BUSBY.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And England and Wales are (of course) different to Scotland. Most places in Scotland don't have the 3 hour time limit so no time disc needed (although some places do impose limits).

Also in some areas in Scotland the badge gives free train travel but I don't know where - possibly Glasgow / Central Belt.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Didn't think you could visit cargo deck during crossings..BUSBY.
Only if accompanied and for good reason, eg to check the dog's okay but you can't usually get them out.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back