Fitting SOG into Adria 670SLT (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Started to consider fitting a SOG to our Adria670SLT. .. oops, we have a double floor and the gap between is used for storage

IMG_20240501_110226.jpg

So it's not so simple to do a vertical vent to the underneath. The toilet is set back with the cassette only accessible via the side locker door, not that I wanted it through the door anyway

IMG_20240501_110215.jpg

Lifted the cover in the cassette cupboard ....there already seems to be a hole cut out, where the fan is usually situated ...

IMG_20240501_113857.jpg

a quick look underneath the floor of the toilet reveals a duct already installed, it leads to a space behind the bumper, so to fresh air !!

IMG_20240501_110248.jpg

IMG_20240501_110545.jpg

So, it looks like Adria have already made it easier for me, I assume it's really an air vent BUT exactly what I want. My plan is to add a 'box' covering the duct outlet so I can add a replaceable charcoal filter.
I will also put a couple of small holes in the box to act as drain holes aswell.

Has anyone else added a SOG to their Adria with a similar set up?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Started to consider fitting a SOG to our Adria670SLT. .. oops, we have a double floor and the gap between is used for storage

View attachment 892138

So it's not so simple to do a vertical vent to the underneath. The toilet is set back with the cassette only accessible via the side locker door, not that I wanted it through the door anyway

View attachment 892139

Lifted the cover in the cassette cupboard ....there already seems to be a hole cut out, where the fan is usually situated ...

View attachment 892143

a quick look underneath the floor of the toilet reveals a duct already installed, it leads to a space behind the bumper, so to fresh air !!

View attachment 892148

View attachment 892142

So, it looks like Adria have already made it easier for me, I assume it's really an air vent BUT exactly what I want. My plan is to add a 'box' covering the duct outlet so I can add a replaceable charcoal filter.
I will also put a couple of small holes in the box to act as drain holes aswell.

Has anyone else added a SOG to their Adria with a similar set up?
It will be for the thetford fan/sog unit as they vent out the bottom of the cassette, if you look there's a vent hole underneath.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It will be for the thetford fan/sog unit as they vent out the bottom of the cassette, if you look there's a vent hole underneath.
Full marks to Adria for adding it when they built the motorhome, whether its intentionally for the Thetford SOG unit or for a fresh air vent linked to the inbuilt cassette air valve, its made it so much easier. I have ordered the 'bits' off Amazon, should be here tomorrow!

Last edited:

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Will the kit use an extraction fan or does it just rely on natural vent, If you need an extractor fan .. there is one in classified fits 37mm/ 38mm tubing.

Cheers

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Will the kit use an extraction fan or does it just rely on natural vent, If you need an extractor fan .. there is one in classified fits 37mm/ 38mm tubing.

Cheers
thanks, i am just fitting a small computer fan - 40mm as it fits the square space under the cover. along with a microswitch, so total cost will be about £5 plus some cable, shame that the microswitch i have chosen come in packs of 10 ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Why is it that all the DIY SOG installs seem to only operate when the 'flap' is fully open, ie when the switch is 'closed'?
Wouldn't it be better to to have it operate so that even if the 'flap' is open partially the fan operates? It would be activated in the same way by use of the open/close mechanism

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Why is it that all the DIY SOG installs seem to only operate when the 'flap' is fully open, ie when the microwave switch is 'closed'?
Wouldn't it be better to to have it operate so that even if the 'flap' is open partially the fan operates? It would be activated in the same way by use of the open/close mechanism
My fan starts as soon as the flap opens slightly. Has to be fully closed for it to stop.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
My fan starts as soon as the flap opens slightly. Has to be fully closed for it to stop.
Thanks, i appreciate the response. That makes more sense than the DIY ones i have seen on youtube .... which is why i asked the question. i am tempted to see if i can add some sort of 'run on' facility, so it continues to run for 20 seconds or so after its turned off (flap closed), after i have sorted the basic install of course !

Did you DIY your own or was it a kit or already in place? happy to receive any tips/hints if yours was also a DIY project.....

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Thanks, i appreciate the response. That makes more sense than the DIY ones i have seen on youtube .... which is why i asked the question. i am tempted to see if i can add some sort of 'run on' facility, so it continues to run for 20 seconds or so after its turned off (flap closed), after i have sorted the basic install of course !

Did you DIY your own or was it a kit or already in place? happy to receive any tips/hints if yours was also a DIY project.....
Surely if you have a 20 sec run of the fan with the flap closed, all you will do is start to create a vacuum in the cassette and reduce the life of the fan. Well, that's my take on it. As the previous poster Howard B stated the fan switches on as the flap is initially opened and off when closed. My roof vent SOG has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. Well, that's the kiss of death then.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Surely if you have a 20 sec run of the fan with the flap closed, all you will do is start to create a vacuum in the cassette and reduce the life of the fan. Well, that's my take on it. As the previous poster Howard B stated the fan switches on as the flap is initially opened and off when closed. My roof vent SOG has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. Well, that's the kiss of death then.

valid points for consideration !

im sure the life of the van would be unaffected in practical terms, when you consider how long the fan would operate for compared to when installed on a computer (incidentally, the fan is identical to the one on my 3d printer, which sometimes runs for 8 hours non stop when printing)

im not sure re the vacuum effect though ..... or even whether a 'run on timer' is actually worth adding. with regards to the vacuum effect, i suppose whether the seal on the bottom of the cassette compartment or the flap covering the fan would actually prevent a vacuum forming needs to be considered aswell as whether the strength of the fan would be enough to create a vacuum. Its a good point to consider though, thanks, its exactly the sort of comment i was looking for !

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now

I fitted mine myself. Hardest bit I found was trying to locate an earth point. There are planty of cables running through the area where the SOG fits, but I couldnt find an earth. In the end I ran my own. Had the same issues on a previous van.
Make sure you have a decent hole cutter as well.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Make sure you have a decent hole cutter as well.
Thanks, any chance of a photo of the switch set up please? all the hard work has already been done by Adria during the build stage thankfully!! I continue to be impressed by the 'upgrade' assistance they have fitted, which so far has been cables for a satellite dish AND solar panels routed back to the leisure battery area from the TV 'cupboard' and now to find they installed a duct direct to fresh air (as sown in the photos above) to enable a SOG to be installed is a massive help!

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Just grabbed 2 photos. The switch cam is open circuit against the operating lever in the closed position. As soon as the lever is moved the microswitch is closed and the fan starts. Access to hold the switch, mark its position can be quite frustrating to say the least. Satisfying once done though 😊
IMG_4280.jpg
IMG_4281.jpg

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there
We must not confuse the idea of a SOG, the vent tube and fan for their function.

The vent tube/ gas outlet has two functions;
1) is to allow air INTO the cassette for the black waste to encourage naturally aerobic breakdown - thus no chemicals required, and
2) allows gas build up to escape (through the fan blades)

The extractor fan stops smell escaping out of the cassette via the blade opening.

Maybe sometimes the cassette is in great demand and the waste doesn't always have time to benefit from the intended aerobic action to break it down.. but no need for a runover on the fan.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Just grabbed 2 photos. The switch cam is open circuit against the operating lever in the closed position. As soon as the lever is moved the microswitch is closed and the fan starts. Access to hold the switch, mark its position can be quite frustrating to say the least. Satisfying once done though 😊
View attachment 892883View attachment 892882
thanks, i am just on my fourth 3d printed microswitch holder ..... im sure ive got it right this time, just printing it out. ive made it a snug fit, so that it actually holds its position, and will sikaflex it in position. the switch will be secured with two small screws, fastened from below, so it can be replaced if needed at some point in the future ive already part printed an 'exhaust' box to cover the opening already provided by Adria - though its got me thinking about ignoring the 40mm fan in the thetford toilet itself and fitting an 80mm one or even 2 x 40mm ones in the 'vent box' i am making, which is to house the charcoal filter. i can simply run the cable through the ducting already installed by Adria ......

if it all works out, i am happy to share the 3d files (though i am sure the real 3d printer bods on here can come up with some snazzy design!) or even potentially print out a few 'kits' if anyone has the same motorhome. Or if anyone has a thetford toilet i could just 3d print them the switch holder/bracket and they could install their own DIY SOG ....

will post some photos later hopefully ...

Jan 10, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
4 yrs
I am inspired by this thread to install a fan in my own van. I have ordered a switch and fan but I am completely clueless regarding electrics. I have attached a photo of my cassette space, could anybody indicate to me which wires I would use to operate the fan. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

20240503_130429.jpg

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
I am inspired by this thread to install a fan in my own van. I have ordered a switch and fan but I am completely clueless regarding electrics. I have attached a photo of my cassette space, could anybody indicate to me which wires I would use to operate the fan. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

View attachment 893741
I can get you a photo of where I tapped into tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

View attachment 893741
And I can send you the bracket for the micro switch, it's the same toilet so should fit yours aswell. All you would need to do is place it in the right position. As it's a snug fit, you can locate the right position by trial and error and then sikafkex (or any other adhesive) it in situ. The switch itself is secured by two screws so can be replaced easily should it fail, leaving the bracket in place.

..... I will take some photos tomorrow. I have decided to go with two 40mm fans sited in the external box I have designed. The box should work on most motorhomes.

It really is an easy modification in terms of the electrical connections, with a + and a - connection adjacent to the cassette itself.
The most difficult part was drilling a hole for the cable, under the flap to feed the wires to the fans. I have a right angled drill so it was made easier.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thetford don’t make SOGs, they have a different product called a Toilet Ventilation Extractor Fan. They work somewhat differently. My SOG cuts in as soon as there is the slightest movement of the blade but I believe the Thetford fan operates from the flush switch.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
For Adria, certainly Matrix 670, all you need to add is the small fan wired into the existing flush button, and a charcoal cassette.

Adria have done all the hard work.

Jan 10, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
4 yrs
And I can send you the bracket for the micro switch, it's the same toilet so should fit yours aswell. All you would need to do is place it in the right position. As it's a snug fit, you can locate the right position by trial and error and then sikafkex (or any other adhesive) it in situ. The switch itself is secured by two screws so can be replaced easily should it fail, leaving the bracket in place.

..... I will take some photos tomorrow. I have decided to go with two 40mm fans sited in the external box I have designed. The box should work on most motorhomes.

It really is an easy modification in terms of the electrical connections, with a + and a - connection adjacent to the cassette itself.
The most difficult part was drilling a hole for the cable, under the flap to feed the wires to the fans. I have a right angled drill so it was made easier.
That is a very kind offer, thank you.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
For Adria, certainly Matrix 670, all you need to add is the small fan wired into the existing flush button, and a charcoal cassette.

Adria have done all the hard work.
but then the fan only some on when you press the flush button, i want my fan to start as soon as i open the 'hatch' - unless youre just suggesting thats where to pick up the + and - connections? I'm installing two fans on my 670, to be housed in a 3d printed enclosure where the Adria duct terminates under the rear bumper. it should all be completed tomorrow, just waiting for some small spade connectors to arrive so the microswitch can be replaced, i have chosen NOT to solder the connections for that reason.

The single fan version is a much simpler option to be honest ..... i had my first design working in less than three hours, including printing a bracket. i would suggest using wago connectors to make all the connections, you will need two three ways and two two ways - hopefully you ordered a 40mm fan with the extended cable (the sort used for 3d printers - they are the same as the ones used on computers), if not, when you cut the cable connector off the end of the fan, keep the wire as long as possible to feed it through the underneath/side of the toilet chamber from the void where you will fit the pump.
i have suggested using wago connectors as its a lot easier to replace components, especially when on the road travelling. for that reason, if you can i would also use spade connectors on the microswitch, for the same reason. Having said all that, if a component does fail, it wont stop you from using the toilet, you will just need to add the chemicals you already use, so its hardly a disaster !

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp

View attachment 893741
IMG_4290.jpg

The large white plug is the main feed to the toilet. Brown Positive and white Negative input. On the output side it changes to Red positive and black Negative
IMG_4291.jpg

I used Wago connectors to tap in to the red 12v+ and black 12v-
IMG_4292.jpg

The microswitch is inline on the black 12v-. It runs into the cable trunking with the yellow tape. My SOG fan 12v- is connected to the other side of the microswitch. Both 12v+ and - cables carry on in the plastic protector between my fingers to the Fan. Your Adria cable routing may be different, but the connection principal will be the same. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
View attachment 893882
The large white plug is the main feed to the toilet. Brown Positive and white Negative input. On the output side it changes to Red positive and black Negative
View attachment 893883
View attachment 893884
The microswitch is inline on the black 12v-. It runs into the cable trunking with the yellow tape. My SOG fan 12v- is connected to the other side of the microswitch. Both 12v+ and - cables carry on in the plastic protector between my fingers to the Fan. Your Adria cable routing may be different, but the connection principal will be the same. Hope that helps.
Mine is almost identical, except my switch is wired via the 12v+. Is there a reason it shouldn't be wired as the 12v+ ?
It's easy enough for me to change it to 12v- if there is ....
I did think about using piggy back spade connectors to the brown and white 'feeds' l, but decided to do as you have and use the red and black cables as it seemed more appropriate and less confusing for future owners.

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Mine is almost identical, except my switch is wired via the 12v+. Is there a reason it shouldn't be wired as the 12v+ ?
It's easy enough for me to change it to 12v- if there is ....
I did think about using piggy back spade connectors to the brown and white 'feeds' l, but decided to do as you have and use the red and black cables as it seemed more appropriate and less confusing for future owners.
The project was completed a couple of years ago, many, many brain cells have overloaded and short-circuited. I think the kit came with a wiring harness because in hindsight I wouldn't have access to the cable sleeving. I personally would have the microswitch on the negative side. The reason I went with the Roof SOG was because Chausson had a double floor the second hole was gummed up with mastic but the cassette breathed into the van :sick:. All I did was remove the mastic and put a 38mm pipe and tapped the SOG hose off the vertical pipe in between the double floor. Oh and had a screw cap on the outside to drain any condensation.

Jan 10, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
4 yrs
View attachment 893882
View attachment 893883
View attachment 893884
Great, thanks for the pics and explanation. When my bits arrive (and it stops raining!) I shall give it a go!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
SOG fans usually vent from the cassette cap not from beneath cassette vent. Once you have an alternative vent to relieve pressure you can close off the original smelly under cassette vent by removing the cassette’s automatic venting mechanism.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
if you send your address via pm i can send you the bracket. is yours also an Adria with the already installed ductwork to the rear bumper?

i am now on my (insert any number you can think of, divide by 4 add three and your pretty close!) version .....

everytime i do one, i think ... if only i tweaked it a just a little bit .... then its another few hours of printing - BUT i think i am nearly there - the wiring and switch bracket were the easy part !! LOL

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
SOG fans usually vent from the cassette cap not from beneath cassette vent. Once you have an alternative vent to relieve pressure you can close off the original smelly under cassette vent by removing the cassette’s automatic venting mechanism.
It depends on which version of the SOG you choose and fit. The roof vent SOG does not have a filter but uses the automatic vent system in the cassette to extract the vapours via a fan and ducting. I didn't need to have the cassette cap modified. The smell inside the van was because the automatic venting system was still in place, but I didn't know that until researching SOG systems.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Are you sure ...or is that just one version, ie through the door version. The ones I am copying all vent from the underneath...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back