Fit a safe or not ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
I'm a newbie, but owned a caravan about 30 years ago.
We're off to France for a month next year and I'm thinking whether we should fit a safe somewhere in Bessie.
Bessie is a 2008 Bessacarr E560.
What are your thoughts, and if yes - where to fit.
Any response much appreciated.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The problem with a safe is "they" know where everything is, also if you leave valuables in it when you are out, if the van is stolen you lose everything. I also think unless you pay a lot for a safe they aren't very safe.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Yes

Perhaps a lockable box like this which can secure to something (ideal for passports cash and watches) or a proper secure but well hidden safe

Or do both

Well hidden rather than hard to break into is the secret

IMG_7600.png

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
i get two of those key safes that people have outside their homes one goes in the garage and the other on the opposite side of the board that i attach them to. Same steel bolts in effect bolt both safes together. Ideal for credit cards cash etc. One can be slightly larger to fit passports and documents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
i get two of those key safes that people have outside their homes one goes in the garage and the other on the opposite side of the board that i attach them to. Same steel bolts in effect bolt both safes together. Ideal for credit cards cash etc. One can be slightly larger to fit passports and documents.

Sorry don't get this "SAFE" safe thing...... if your Van goes it's GONE anyway 🫣🤔

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I fitted a decent quality one in the bottom of the wardrobe, it's held in with 2 x 10mm bolts through the floor into zebs that can't be unscrewed.. Most thefts are smash and go and I can't see them spending half an hour destroying a safe that there may or may not be anything much of value inside, (that's if they even see it under her shoes 😁)
I know if the van gets nicked everything goes with it but I'm certainly not carrying passports etc with me everywhere I go.

It's like this but the key is different...

Homesafe HV15K Safe Key-lock, 15x20x17cm (HxWxD), Carbon Satin Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QC72MW4?tag=mhf04-21

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Make sure you keep the enerfency safe key handy, as once the batteries go flat inside the lock mechanism you're stuffed.
With that type a reasobly strong magnet does the trick, they are not secure at all.
I know if the van gets nicked everything goes with it but I'm certainly not carrying passports etc with me everywhere I go.
Apart from UK & Eire I think every country in Europe requires you to cary your passport if you don't have an ID card. - - - But I don't but I do carry my driving licence.

Problem with a safe if someone does break in and find it they an do a lot of damage to the van ripping it out, I. Wouldn't bother with one.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I have a safe, (really a strongbox, as I should think any thief could probably force it without too much trouble, but it may slow down the opportunist smash and grab thief of the kind who broke into my friend’s campervan when he was parked up and only away for twenty minutes walking the dog.
It’s big enough for dox and my iPad but if I’m carrying my laptop or camera kit there’s no way that would fit in.
My biggest thing is to be careful about security. It’s easy to walk away from your unlocked van and then be distracted, while someone is in and out of it behind you in a flash. I did it myself yesterday while watching arriving Typhoon aircraft. I’d walked right across the car park, from my unlocked van before I realised what I’d done.
My last van had a very cleverly designed void behind part of the side wall upholstery. I didn’t realise it was there for ages, because it looked exactly like a permanently fixed area. It was quite large and very useful and probably more secure in reality than my steel strongbox! 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry don't get this "SAFE" safe thing...... if your Van goes it's GONE anyway 🫣🤔

But all your stuff is gone if they nick the van, regardless. It is safer if they are just breaking in for your Rolex.
That is why you have to make sure the van is unstealable ,undriveable, & the only way is to be craned or winched on to a truck

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back