First trip to EU since Brexit, what documents needed?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We are going to France and Spain next year, this is the first time abroad since Brexit, do we need a green card? Do we need international driving licences? I think France and Spain require different licences.

It's strange, I have been driving in France for well over 50 years, but I'm not sure what we need these days.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We are going to France and Spain next year, this is the first time abroad since Brexit, do we need a green card? Do we need international driving licences? I think France and Spain require different licences.

It's strange, I have been driving in France for well over 50 years, but I'm not sure what we need these days.
A passport is needed to get out but not needed to get back in 😁

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Just your uk driving licence. As long as it’s a photo licence.

Plus obviously passport, MOT, insurance documents, V5 and travel health insurance.

Also make sure you have a valid GHiC ( the current version of what was the E111)

Credit card and some cash and a great appetite to have loads and loads of fun 🥳🥳🥳

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe

passport (with months to go before expiry) and often patience as you join a long Q of brits having their passports stamped

OP
OP
Odd job
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
passport (with months to go before expiry) and often patience as you join a long Q of brits having their passports stamped
I hope not to have a passport stamp, Mrs Odd has just got her Irish passport, so neither of us should get a stamp. 🤞

OP
OP
Odd job
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

Plus obviously passport, MOT, insurance documents, V5 and travel health insurance.

Also make sure you have a valid GHiC ( the current version of what was the E111)

Credit card and some cash and a great appetite to have loads and loads of fun 🥳🥳🥳
We have all of those, we're planning to give winter a miss next year, although 3 months living in a caravan will be a first :unsure:

OP
OP
Odd job
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Make sure your passport isn't one that had more than 10 years between issue and expiry. Or you might have useful time left on it than the dates suggest.
Passports are newish blue ones, so all good. Well actually my passport is blue Mrs. Odd's new passport is an EU one so it's red, but all up to date .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I hope not to have a passport stamp, Mrs Odd has just got her Irish passport, so neither of us should get a stamp. 🤞
If you are not Irish or have an Irish passport you will present yours and if you don't have a stamp I will buy you a beer....and your wife re-enters the UK as an EU citizen she may well have a stamp in hers

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If you are not Irish or have an Irish passport you will present yours and if you don't have a stamp I will buy you a beer....and your wife re-enters the UK as an EU citizen she may well have a stamp in hers
Doubt it as the new entry and visa system should be in place by then.😁

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
If you haven't got a photo driving licence you will need two international driving permits - one for France and one for Spain. One of these lasts for one year and the other for three years - can't remember which is which. You get the IDPs from the post office. Each one requires a passport photo.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

This…🙄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Sadly doesn’t work like that! You will still get stamped! ✔️

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Probably EES Maybe ETIAS? Depends

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I am on the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry back end of April 2025 (after the Easter "rush") to get EES sorted and done with while queues are short. Not sure I would want to be on the likes of Easyjet/RyanAir flights for a while. At least I can sit and wait and maybe even put the kettle on while in the queue!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

You, as a ‘third country’ citizen should receive an entry stamp on entering the EU. If you don’t it could cause problems when you exit and the border officer goes looking for it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
....and your wife re-enters the UK as an EU citizen she may well have a stamp in hers

Not been the case for my Irish wife when returning to the U.K. on multiple occasions. Possibly due to the arrangement between U.K. and Eire under the Common Travel Area?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not been the case for my Irish wife when returning to the U.K. on multiple occasions. Possibly due to the arrangement between U.K. and Eire under the Common Travel Area?
Of course but 'they' will be aware of her entry and exit on the data base, the airports, ferry ports etc all check the passports, they 'know' who you are and when you pass the boarder your passport is scanned or at airports you can use the Biometric ones having an Irish passport is not an exemption to checks (My Wife has one too)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've heard that depending where you go in France, it might be worth getting a CritAir Sticker for your vehicle :-

https://certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Apparently it's about like ULEZ

Menis
If traveling to Freiburg Germany they do accept the French CritAir as they are so close to the border but would be worth getting the German version as well if traveling around

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Of course but 'they' will be aware of her entry and exit on the data base, the airports, ferry ports etc all check the passports, they 'know' who you are and when you pass the boarder your passport is scanned or at airports you can use the Biometric ones having an Irish passport is not an exemption to checks (My Wife has one too)

Agree that there are no exemptions to the checks of course, but the reply was with regard to Irish resident citizens having their passports stamped when re-entering the U.K. from the ‘other’ EU (Schengen), and that doesn’t appear to happen because of the Common Travel Area arrangement.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Passport validity:

They are now only valid for 10 years from date of issue.
And you need at least three months validity at time of travel.

Which means any passport issued before February 2015 can not be used for travel today.
(Despite the fact that it could still be valid until end of 2026)

It means in effect a UK passport is only valid for about nine and half years, not up to eleven years as issued by the UK Passport office.
(My passport falls into this category, I will have to replace my passport 18 months before the expiry date)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I've heard that depending where you go in France, it might be worth getting a CritAir Sticker for your vehicle :-

https://certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Apparently it's about like ULEZ

Menis
" ... it might be worth getting a CritAir Sticker ..."

If you have a Euro 6 engined van I would absolutely agree. In my case with a 2007 van I am Euro 4 (or will it 5? It is a Mk 7 Transit).

It is far from clear to me whether UK authorities will now supply my details to France/Germany etc. If, post Brexit, they will not then by registering for CritAir I give them the info to enable them to prosecute me!!!

I have no intention of going near any CritAir zones and my SatNav does ask me the question but if my SatNav lets me down or a signed diversion re-routes me or a vehicle problem takes me for repairs into a CritAir zone I don't want to hand them the means to prosecute me on a plate!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
They will still stamp, but they can stamp whatever they like lol, my gorgeous wife gets her passport stamped at every opportunity but only once over the last couple of years a Greek custom officer made an overstay comment, I had to explain some rules to him which he didn’t like but grumbling acceptance followed👍

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
" ... it might be worth getting a CritAir Sticker ..."

If you have a Euro 6 engined van I would absolutely agree. In my case with a 2007 van I am Euro 4 (or will it 5? It is a Mk 7 Transit).

It is far from clear to me whether UK authorities will now supply my details to France/Germany etc. If, post Brexit, they will not then by registering for CritAir I give them the info to enable them to prosecute me!!!

I have no intention of going near any CritAir zones and my SatNav does ask me the question but if my SatNav lets me down or a signed diversion re-routes me or a vehicle problem takes me for repairs into a CritAir zone I don't want to hand them the means to prosecute me on a plate!!
There are various CritAir certs to apply for and quite a number of zones.
Best apply for one

IMG_7373.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back