'First timer in a Hymer' in Fife, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
Hello all.
We have returned to UK after leaving the Royal Navy (32 years in the engineering branch) and living in Brittany France.We decided to look for an old 90's Hymer and work on any issues,looking to a long deployment to the continent next spring/ summer.The van ('97 E510) had leaking shower and kitchen ,duff micro switch kitchen and shower taps ,leaky windscreen,broken RH rear view mirror(and still has these issues........)
It also has-Separate shower,a low end Solar, air ride, gas-lo system,new cambelt and 43k miles!.....so we bought it.
I will be hacking my way through these issues and will let you know how I get on,lessons learned,tips etc.I will of course be a regular here.I will probably need help!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hello all.
We have returned to UK after leaving the Royal Navy (32 years in the engineering branch) and living in Brittany France.We decided to look for an old 90's Hymer and work on any issues,looking to a long deployment to the continent next spring/ summer.The van ('97 E510) had leaking shower and kitchen ,duff micro switch kitchen and shower taps ,leaky windscreen,broken RH rear view mirror(and still has these issues........)
It also has-Separate shower,a low end Solar, air ride, gas-lo system,new cambelt and 43k miles!.....so we bought it.
I will be hacking my way through these issues and will let you know how I get on,lessons learned,tips etc.I will of course be a regular here.I will probably need help!!
:HelloThere:w2f

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
duff micro switch kitchen and shower taps
You may find the kitchen tap switch has a broken wire, which if your lucky can be soldered, the shower switch , if the same as our 2001 B584 which I suspect it maybe, has a different type of switch and a part had fallen out of ours which was still laying inside.
We also had a leak on our shower tap, it would leak when turned off, a new cheap screwfix cartridge sorted that.
IMG_2380.jpeg
IMG_2381.jpeg

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
:hiya2: w2f you will need to subscribe to post more than 5 times

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Welcome, we look forward to your contributions, a source of Hymer parts online is Brownhills, they also respond to emails and will normally request your VIN number to ensure you get the correct parts. You appear to be a free member at the moment in which case you only get 5 posts before you become read only, subs are only £20/year and worth it just for the discounts available from some suppliers as well access to subscriber only sections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
You may find the kitchen tap switch has a broken wire, which if your lucky can be soldered, the shower switch , if the same as our 2001 B584 which I suspect it maybe, has a different type of switch and a part had fallen out of ours which was still laying inside.
We also had a leak on our shower tap, it would leak when turned off, a new cheap screwfix cartridge sorted that.
View attachment 929658View attachment 929659
Thanks for the reply...I am going to look at this, this week! it is blue type...reich maybe?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes mine has the blue lever on unit and then the shower pipe lower.
To remove top there’s a cap under lever handle that pops out and then there’s a screw and then when lever is off the next cover pops by prising off with flat blade screwdriver

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This may be useful.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
How old is the Gaslow system. May be worth checking with them if it considered unsafe. Of course that depends on your attitude to risk. Many on here feel if the bottle is undamaged and not corroded it is OK at any age. Assuming you can rely on the 80% cut- off valve to prevent overfilling resulting in liquid propane reaching your hob.

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
Welcome, we look forward to your contributions, a source of Hymer parts online is Brownhills, they also respond to emails and will normally request your VIN number to ensure you get the correct parts. You appear to be a free member at the moment in which case you only get 5 posts before you become read only, subs are only £20/year and worth it just for the discounts available from some suppliers as well access to subscriber only sections.
Absolutely...I will get on to that
w2f
Sounds like you might know what your doing with your experience (unlike me when I started out)!

soonest
How old is the Gaslow system. May be worth checking with them if it considered unsafe. Of course that depends on your attitude to risk. Many on here feel if the bottle is undamaged and not corroded it is OK at any age. Assuming you can rely on the 80% cut- off valve to prevent overfilling resulting in liquid propane reaching your hob.
Will check on that...thx

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
Yes mine has the blue lever on unit and then the shower pipe lower.
To remove top there’s a cap under lever handle that pops out and then there’s a screw and then when lever is off the next cover pops by prising off with flat blade screwdriver
Thanks Manic...will look today....unfortunately bigger problems have reared their ugly head.
1..Water honking out from the manual dump valve cover/inspection plate on the grey waste tank whenever I open ANY tap.Valve itself appears to be functioning fine and not passing water.Water seems to be coming from between the insulated outer wall and the tank itself.Large round inspection cover opened to reveal another large round lid(this has to be removed to access tank for cleaning ...it wont budge BTW)Strongly suspect detached drains from Bathroom and kitchen.Anybody know of access points from below..??.if not it may be tank off and/or shower room strip out.
2. Weeping water manifold air vents under the sink unit
3.Where on earth is the fresh water drain on an E510? it seems to be a state secret.No info in handbook or 'T'internet'.other Hymers are not the same system.

Good first week eh!!
At least the fridge works.......for now

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
I got it wrong..it is 'Gas It'...I think?

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
3.Where on earth is the fresh water drain on an E510? it seems to be a state secret.No info in handbook or 'T'internet'.other Hymers are not the same system

It's normally a small plug (20mm) on a chain in the fresh water tank. The drain is likely to be directly below so looking underneath should help work out the position in the tank.

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
3.Where on earth is the fresh water drain on an E510? it seems to be a state secret.No info in handbook or 'T'internet'.other Hymers are not the same system

It's normally a small plug (20mm) on a chain in the fresh water tank. The drain is likely to be directly below so looking underneath should help work out the position in the tank.
Cheers paddymcc....I'll take a look and get back to you.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On our B584 the sink drain pipes go into the grey tank between washroom and wardrobe, small inspection hatch behind umbrella stand.
On ours the water tank is in side unit with drain tap behind hatch

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
On our B584 the sink drain pipes go into the grey tank between washroom and wardrobe, small inspection hatch behind umbrella stand.
On ours the water tank is in side unit with drain tap behind hatch
Thanks for the prompt reply Manic....different layout I'm afraid.No inspection hatches immediately obvious.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is mine I’m sure yours will be similar.
I had a split pipe elbow where it entered the tank, repair with Stixall sealant.

OP
OP
Jolly Jack Tar
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer E510
Cheers paddymcc....I'll take a look and get back to you.
Cheers mate....I couldn't see it because the pump was sat on it! Take a gold star in your jotter!!!!!
Now need a second elbow to get the bu99er back in....................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back