First-time Motorhome Buyer (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
globetrotter
Hello community,

Newbie here! I have my mind set on buying a motorhome to travel the country, something I have always wanted to do so I think now is a good time to cross this off my goal list. I have been looking at the different motors, and can't really decide what to go for yet. There will only 3 or 4 of us using it. So I think we will need to get a 4 berth. I'm concerned about the height of the Motorhome, do most motorhomes get through most bridges? The last thing I want is to tear off the roof!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there and welcome šŸ¤—

The! Most important thing is layout followed very closely by payload.

That will determine the size / height of the motorhome and what license you need ( if over 3.5t max you will need a C1.

Good luck with your search šŸ¤—

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ps: if you subscribe you will have access to some very useful content on payload, and purchasing a motorhome along with lots of other content in the guides and information section.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Layout - No1 mistake.
Payload - can scupper your favourite van.

View as many dealers and second hand for a feel for the different setups and draw a list of must haves. Eg we always wanted a separate shower to toilet area ....

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome!

I'm concerned about the height of the Motorhome, do most motorhomes get through most bridges? The last thing I want is to tear off the roof!

Yes they do - even villages have bridges with enough height for buses and dustcarts but you need to keep your wits about you. ;)
It would be useful in future if you at least show your county in your Profile.
Have a look at the thread below from a newcomer yesterday with the same travel aspirations..........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MHF

Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
MORELO 82LB
A garage is handy to put bikes in (secure) and all the other wet stuff you will have when camping in the uk wet walking gear! etc.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Hiya šŸ‘

and Hire Hire Hire. The best way to find out what layout etc suits you best is to hire first, second and then buy third

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Beg, borrow or hire one.

You may find you hate it!

But it will be useful in determining what layout suits you.

Hiya šŸ‘

and Hire Hire Hire. The best way to find out what layout etc suits you best is to hire first, second and then buy third

Hiring or borrowing one only tells you whether that one layout, out of the hundreds available, suits you or not, so not much help IMO.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Know how high it is and read the road signs.
Don't rely on satnav

Set a budget stick to it

Pay your subs you'll get access to the buyers guide and All the useful/silly suggestions and tongue in cheek help this buch has to offer

You won't regret it
:welcome4:

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
:HelloThere: And :WelcomeFlag:

There are lots of other things to be concerned about - height for us came a long way down the list!

Have fun searching!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Hiring or borrowing one only tells you whether that one layout, out of the hundreds available, suits you or not, so not much help IMO.
Respectfully, I beg to differ.

If you have never used one before, I believe that it would open you up to the possibilities, and you may start thinking of all the things that we take for granted, but that would never occur to someone who has never used one.

Granted, more than one type would be better, but even an initial use would spark off the thought process.

You had the advantage of living in boats before you bought your van. Yes it's different, but I would argue that you were already in a mindset where you could judge what might work for you.

Speaking for myself, borrowing my brother's van was invaluable for us in deciding what we didn't want. It may not have been the perfect choice, but it is a lot better than what we might have considered buying.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back