First time going to the UK

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
With regard to the London ULEZ, if your van is not UK registered you will need to register it with transport for London before entering the Greater London area, you may find that if it is under 3.5 tonne and fairly new you will not have to pay, it is worth registering even if you don't intend to enter the area because the fines are steep if you accidentally enter, for instance if the M25 is closed and you are diverted through part of the zone. With regard to travelling from Toulouse, last year I returned to the UK via St Malo - Portsmouth, this route is handy if you'd like to travel west and around the UK clockwise the M27 which runs along the South coast is close to the port. I mostly use the search for sites app which I've found to be excellent, and as has been said previously it is best to ring pub sites in advance to make sure they have space for you.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
I have no idea where to visit, but yes I would like to head to Scotland. I have two months, are you saying three weeks of that in Scotland?
If you do come up to us in Scotland ( which of course I highly recommend 😀) and you are into mountain biking then this is ideal , you can stay in campsites in and around Fort William or in the car park if you prefer an Aire type site

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Pretty sure this has been asked loads of time but I don't have the hang of searching topics yet. I will be heading to the UK from Toulouse. (Starting 2 March). I will have two months in the countries. Yea me!!!!
Any recommendations on which way to get there? Favourite places/sites to stay at and ones to stay away from. (good places to ride my electric mountain bike) I also need to get some work done on my Hymer, any recommendations on best place to contact for that? (install awning, install safe and a few other bits). Thanks in advance
I used Hymer Centre/Travelworld, by Junction 14 on M 6. They were very helpful and seemed to know their stuff. Have to make appointment well in advance though. www.motorhomes.co.uk

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I also need to get some work done on my Hymer, any recommendations on best place to contact for that? (install awning, install safe and a few other bits).
There's a company in Kent or East Sussex who took over from the much respected dealer Johns Cross Motorhomes but unfortunately I can't recall their name. Hopefully someone will advise who it is.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
There's a company in Kent or East Sussex who took over from the much respected dealer Johns Cross Motorhomes but unfortunately I can't recall their name. Hopefully someone will advise who it is.
Wasnt this part of the empire ?
eddievanbitz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You might be interested in taking a look at some of the rallies that are on within MHF
This one will be a corker (as will others)
Then, if they interest you plan your trip around those

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Gillygrim

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
If you come from France into Portsmouth you're about 15 minutes from Southdowns Motorhome service centre and they are now Hymer dealers/agents. Very friendly and would probably be able to sort you out within your time frame. If I can work out how to do it I'll try and put a link to their website. They're in Quatremaine Road - right opposite Greggs - good coffee and fantastic sausage rolls very cheap !!

Gillygrim

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Not a link but their contact details. :

Southdowns Motorhome Service Centre
Quartremaine Road
Anchorage Park
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO3 5QH

Service: 02392 662532
Sales: 02392 40182
Switchboard: 02392 674820

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Not a link but their contact details. :

Southdowns Motorhome Service Centre
Quartremaine Road
Anchorage Park
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO3 5QH

Service: 02392 662532
Sales: 02392 40182
Switchboard: 02392 674820
We went out for a cycle (to a couple of pubs) today and saw a Southdowns service centre in Liss (Spread Eagle pub). Presumably the same company

Gillygrim

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
I've just googled the Liss address and it comes up as South Downs Caravans (Harris Caravans), SD in two words instead of Southdowns so I'm assuming it's a different company altogether. Confusing.......

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
I’m a newbie😎 Picked up C’More 17 June 2022
From Toulouse? Indeed? Where in Toulouse? Obviously , there's no reason for you to have a stop over at my place, but.... I hope you will tell us how you got there! Enjoy!
Amicalement
Frankie
My motorhome is stored around Montrabe' I think I will go on the ferry from Calais. Travel to Bourdeaux and up... Where is your place?

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
We went out for a cycle (to a couple of pubs) today and saw a Southdowns service centre in Liss (Spread Eagle pub). Presumably the same company
Thanks I have sent them an email.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
My motorhome is stored around Montrabe' I think I will go on the ferry from Calais. Travel to Bourdeaux and up... Where is your place?

Montrabé is about 10 minutes away from my place Balma. Both North Est of Toulouse

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
You might be interested in taking a look at some of the rallies that are on within MHF
I just saw this
I just saw this, is it to late to sign up and if so how? Thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I just saw this

I just saw this, is it to late to sign up and if so how? Thanks
Click on the hamburger icon top left in the blue bar. Choose 'Rallies' from the drop-down menu, then 'Rally Calendar'.

1679679575797.png

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Sustains does maps of all the cycle paths you can download

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Sustains does maps of all the cycle paths you can download
It would be nice if you could find in a book or on a website cycle routes without out going on the roads at all, perhaps there is one

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
It would be nice if you could find in a book or on a website cycle routes without out going on the roads at all, perhaps there is one
There are but not always suitable there one off road cycle paths that my brother found near me with if I remember rightly at a flight of 58 steps
It was marked as challenging

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I don't know if anyone has covered this but the UK looks small but it actually takes a lot longer to get around than most people coming from other countries realise.
For instance: turning left from the south coast ports
like Dover etc are Somerset, Devon and Cornwall. You could easily spend three months there.
Turning right you get to Kent, Sussex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Lincoln and Cambridgeshire. All interesting and with a lot of history too.
If you head inland and up the middle you get Shropshire, Oxford etc etc and of course London.
That's without taking in Wales, Yorkshire Derbyshire Lancashire, Cumbria and the north east coast and Scotland.
All have weeks and weeks of interesting travelling so if you're not careful that's all you'll be doing.
Sorry to make it sound undoable but the best thing is to decide what history and beautiful places you're interested in and plot a realistic tour between them.
Also, a lot of England doesn't have motorways so you might have to travel on smaller roads which can take longer but are much nicer if you have the time.

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
I haven’t found one but ya, that would be awesome

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I don't think anyone's mentioned Cheddar Gorge & Caves in Somerset. Well worth seeing IMO
Yes well worth a visit there's a Cl there and Motorhome and caravan club site all within walking distance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back