Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 26, 2020
Huddersfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Motor Roller
Exp
I am new
Having not take the MH to France before I asked for some general advice. Thanks for everyone who responded it was a great help. still learning how to use this site so I appologise if the questions below have been asked before and thanks again for any advice.

Sailing fron poole to Cherbourge 8.30am sailing arriving at 2.15pm on the 4th September and St Marlo to Portsmouth 10.30am on the 13th September

1) Having not been on a ferry before is the advice to turn up 1 hour before the sailing sufficiant time.
2) Approximatly how long does it take to disembark the ferry if you were the last one off.
3) Severel ways to travel from Cherbourge to Rennes which is the first site. Which is best for a first timer

Many thanks for any help

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Firstly dont worry about asking questions where the answer has possibilities of being beneficial to you

A) If I were you, travelling from Huddersfield, I would aim to be 2-3 hours early. If I were coming from a campsite nearby an hour is about perfect. Definitely not less than 45 minutes though
B) 20 minutes ish if everybody behaves
C) Unless anything tickles your fancy on the coastal route I would be taking the non toll dark blue route
1724275487432.png

Enjoyez

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
One of the things you may consider is in your way is Mont St Michel.

They have a nice aire there now where you can pay for the privilege of parking your motorhome . I wouldnt know how much it costs because I would park here https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZH5YaE2zqQksy5Qa8 and walk across the field just like every other Frenchman that turns up that doesnt appreciate tourist tax.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Just a thought, don’t turn your engine on while waiting to disembark. Unless you are at the front of a queue you will see vehicles further ahead start up and that’s your sign to start up. Otherwise you fill the ship up with fumes.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Dont worry about fridge temperatures, just leave it shut itll be fine even without the gas( which they may /should insist is off at cylinder).
Put your watch on the wrong hand for a day or so and get the passenger to make sure that you stay on the correct side "Keep you in the gutter " she says to me!
Its much easier than it sounds!
Enjoy
Mike & Ann

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Poole is a relatively quiet port, and I'm pretty sure you can stay overnight in the embarkation area before you go - it hasn't got much in the way of facilities, but it's another hour or two in bed. The route Suavecarve has put up is the one we use when we go via Poole to our static south of Nantes- but we always check with Google maps (set to avoid tolls) in case there's congestion.
Worst case about an hour to get out of the port at Cherbourg. Once you're clear of the town it's dual carriageway all the way to Rennes and it typically takes about 2.5 hrs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back