Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Salamanca is indeed a lovely place to see for a day on route to Portugal, Lisbon too is a great place a few campsites out of town but good buses to get in.
Foz do Arelho, a cheep basic aire but right on the waterfront and a beautiful beach and small town..

Obidos a good tourist attraction with motorhome parking and Aires…
I must admit i love to visit Santander really great city well worth a visit
There a saying that in the main square you will always meet someone you know in my case I’ve been there many times and it’s happened on each occasion
Do you enjoy your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Went last year Portsmouth > Bilbao. Big fan of this route as you get 2 nts on board and 1 whole day to chill and get into holiday mode. We went in September and the crossing was fine with no pitching at all. The ship does have stabilizers. Plenty of food choices to suit your budget. As with anything if you’re looking to find fault you’ll find it no doubt. There’s always a school of people who fall into the “never again” category.
“How was your holiday?”
“Never again”
“How was the crossing?”
“Never again”
“How was the motorway?”
“Never again”
You get the drift!! Route wise I’d go across the top of Spain and head south into Portugal and back through the Douro Valley. Try and see Porto and Lisbon if possible. If time is tight just aim for Porto. Happy holidays!!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Follow me and my travels on Polarsteps https://www.polarsteps.com/MichaelTidmarsh

There's a few trips on there

I have asked to do so as well if you don’t mind.

I've requested to follow too.. if that's ok...

While on this topic - happy for people to follow mine - a few trips on there to Spain. Crotia/Bosnia/Serbia and Germany/Italy - including Sicily plus Scotland and Ireland.

Oct 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
beimar
We have travelled France/spain in our MH many times but always driven to spain via France. Decided to try portsmouth to bilbao on Salamanca this September (the boss worried as not a good sailor). Doing Portugal for 1st time also. For the ferry, do I assume the 3 way fridge remains off or can I leave it running on gas?(suspect not). Does anyone know what is the earliest we can arrive in Portsmouth Dock as have longish drive from Essex to do. We have 4 weeks and would welcome any suggestions fir a scenic route down thru portugal, across to Seville/Cordoba and back, then back up thru Portugal to ferry home? Would appreciate some must see suggestions that I can factor in to our route... finally, do we need an auto toll payment system like Via Verde in case we have to use toll roads? Would prefer not to use tolls or pay as we go but not sure how it works in portugal... appreciate and grateful for all suggestions....
If your early for the ferry you can park at port solent even overnight its at the marina with bars restaurants etc 10 mins from the boat

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
While on this topic - happy for people to follow mine - a few trips on there to Spain. Crotia/Bosnia/Serbia and Germany/Italy - including Sicily plus Scotland and Ireland.

Request

Oct 13, 2019
Son en Breugel, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Line
Exp
Since June 2020, newbies
If it helps, the Parque de Autocaravanas (Aire) in Tomar is right by the old town, 5 minute stroll to the river side where there are restaurants and a cafe. 10 minutes and you are in the heart of the historic centre. The convent (the former head quarters of the Knights Templar) dominates the town.

There is so much to see and do I would allow two full days at least. You can walk around the castle for free but to go inside the convent you need to pay (about €10 but with a discount for oldies). Both need 2-3 hours minimum and a lot of walking.

You can walk up to the convent from town. It’ll take 30-45 minutes and the hill is steep - but it is also accessible by Motorhome- coaches get up there ok!

A coffee and Pastel de Nata will cost you €2 in town, a beer €1.20 a glass of wine €2. The local wines can be bought in the local supermarkets for €2.50 a bottle. It is very easy to eat out in the town for under €30 including drinks. If you crave a good curry there is the Star Kitchen is 5 minutes walk - restaurant and take away.

The Aire itself is the former municipal camp site, now used only for Motorhomes. It’s a bit untidy but is level, safe, quiet (when there’s not a festa on) and very convienuent. It has water, cassette dump, drive over grey water dump but no EHU or other facilities. Oh and it is free!

View attachment 923667

Hope this helps
A very good description for this camp site and place - worth going to if you have the time. We stayed there last year(2023) in April for 2 nights, but just make sure to follow the Camp site signs, rather than your navigator - there are some very narrow streets which are avoided when one follows the camp site signs!!

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
The ferries are very clean and comfortable, Bay of Biscay can be rough but it's relatively rare. We traverse it a few times every year, we've had one or two bumpy trips but nothing extreme so far (fingers crossed!). Ferries are delayed or cancelled if necessary to avoid very bad weather. +1 for the Douro Valley recommendation and check out the Estrada Nacional 2, or N2, it runs right down along the eastern side of country through some very beautiful, unspoiled and less-visited countryside. Have a good trip!

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
A very good description for this camp site and place - worth going to if you have the time. We stayed there last year(2023) in April for 2 nights, but just make sure to follow the Camp site signs, rather than your navigator - there are some very narrow streets which are avoided when one follows the camp site signs!!
Definitely right. If you don’t have a sat nag that knows your vehicles size and weight you will seem some lovely parts of town! You may leave layers of paint, bits of body work and even get stuck , but hey, it’s all part of the Moho experience.

Full disclosure: When we first came here we had a Frankia A Class 3.2 m high, 5.5 tonne. None of the above happened to us. Nope. Not at all. :whistle2:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
(the boss worried as not a good sailor).
Be aware that they don't sell travel sickness pills on the ferry. Something to do with them being a medication so they're not allowed to sell them. So make sure you stock up before you arrive on the ferry. And definitely gas off.

Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
We're on our last couple of days of a three week trip, sailed Plymouth/Santander 22hr crossing on 30th June, it was like a duck pond. agree with taking a travel kettle milk coffee etc n defiantly gas off.
we're back Calais Saturday morning then a long drive back up to west Yorks.
already planning next years trip Spain Portugal return trip Plymouth/Santander, saves a lot of driving back up through France.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
On the gas fridge question we were not asked to turn the gas off. Motorhomes are loaded on the truck deck which remains open to the sea, so there’s no risk of build up. We have never been asked to turn the gas off and after a trip to the deck one day (because some numpty left the lights on in Betsy) I can see why it’s ok. You do get asked on the French crossings and on the train, but the Spanish routes (Done Santander and Bilbao) are ok.
Got to say we've only ever been on the Truck deck once and we cross both ways most years

We always seem to get asked to turn off the gas - last year our van handles were drug wiped too
They ALWAYS search for itinerants stowaways but so not food or anything else

OH yes got our early bird crossings booked out in February and return in May trying Plymouth for a change coming back from Santander and actually going to Caen outwards for a different trip still saved our membership fee on our trip bookings

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I would prefer non tolls tbh but would you advise we register before we go via the easy toll link, say fir 30 days as likely enough? If i read it right, small registration fee via CCard then only a fee it I hit the toll road by accident? Any other better option?... thx for help..

Get the Fulli Nomade + tag for effortless use of toll roads in France, Spain, Italy, and especially Portugal with its multiple payment systems depending on which road you are on!

On special offer at the moment:

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Got to say we've only ever been on the Truck deck once and we cross both ways most years

We always seem to get asked to turn off the gas - last year our van handles were drug wiped too
They ALWAYS search for itinerants stowaways but so not food or anything else

OH yes got our early bird crossings booked out in February and return in May trying Plymouth for a change coming back from Santander and actually going to Caen outwards for a different trip still saved our membership fee on our trip bookings
Just checking, Spanish routes or French? Never been asked/checked either way from Spain

Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2008
A couple of weeks since the end of a 7 week trip to Spain and Portugal. Used Plymouth to Santander route. Both crossings very calm.

Loads of places to park up in Spain and Portugal. Mostly free including water and downloads. Mainly used park4night.

Didnt bother with a toll tag. Just paid by card at booth. Only went on a couple of toll roads in 2000miles of driving.

Download Uber app. Great for getting around particularly in Lisbon area.

Some of the highlights

Potes (in Picos. Nearby monastery has a piece of The crucifix)
Zamora
Salamanca (great art nouveau / deco museum)
Caceres
Marvao(fortified hilltop village on border)
Bacalhao Eden Buddha Garden (Sculpture park)
Fatima (Sanctuary)
Obidos (fortified village)
Bom Jesus do Monte near Braga
Aveiro (Portugal's venice)
Santiago de Compostela
Fisterra
Praia das Catedrais (east of Foz on north coast)
Covadonga (in Picos)

Plenty to see and do. Enjoy.

Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
We have travelled France/spain in our MH many times but always driven to spain via France. Decided to try portsmouth to bilbao on Salamanca this September (the boss worried as not a good sailor). Doing Portugal for 1st time also. For the ferry, do I assume the 3 way fridge remains off or can I leave it running on gas?(suspect not). Does anyone know what is the earliest we can arrive in Portsmouth Dock as have longish drive from Essex to do. We have 4 weeks and would welcome any suggestions fir a scenic route down thru portugal, across to Seville/Cordoba and back, then back up thru Portugal to ferry home? Would appreciate some must see suggestions that I can factor in to our route... finally, do we need an auto toll payment system like Via Verde in case we have to use toll roads? Would prefer not to use tolls or pay as we go but not sure how it works in portugal... appreciate and grateful for all suggestions....
We did it on a return trip in late October then again out and back Portsmouth - Santander - Plymouth March to May this year. You're slightly in the layoff the Gods regarding weather. Our return last October was very rough (sailing advanced to try and avoid the worst); the worst weather was when we were in bed which wasn't too bad as from the N end of the Bay of Biscay on the day part of the sailing, it was fine. Try not to get a cabin near the fromt as that will get the worst of any bumping and noise. When the weather is fine, it's quite pleasant; we were worried about the length of the crossing from Portsmouth at 2 nights but it was fine esp as the daytime weather was good. We didn't think that food prices were as bad as they could have been but we had paid for the annual membership which gets you a bit of discount as well as on Wi-Fi. Take on a small kettle, coffee, tea, a cool bag, fruit, bottle of wine, some beer and water and you can avoid getting stung for this sort of thing. Landing in Spain first thing is great as you can get away from the port.
For toll roads in Portugal, download and use Portugal Easy Toll; the website is pretty good and you do need to use it, it's not too expensive.
North and North-West Spain are beautiful, more so if the weather is good. Things to see depend slightly what you like nut we would give a shout to: Gaudi House in Comillas, the Picos, the Galician Coast, A Corona, Muxia (we thought it was nicer than Finisterre), Cambados, Santiago de Compostella, Ribadavia, Porto and the Duoro Valley. Loved Portugal.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Day and a half on a tug. Hated the crossing. If you wanted anything, hand in pocket, pay for this pay for that. Bay of Biscay interesting. Had a forward cabin, crash banging of the anchor chains all night long. Never, never again. Oh, the film that night in the cinema was De ja Vue....about a bomb on a ferry.
I'm not a good sailor, I nearly always find it's unsavoury way to lose weight the Bay of Biscay can be lovely and calm , but, it can be really really rough trying and get a cabin at centre of ferry if you think about a seesaw how it works, good luck.🥴

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We came that route two weeks ago on the Santander (ship not port!). It’s a nice trip. Food is expensive on board as is booze so take some if your own. We treat ourselves to the Commodore Lounge where we can get places. You get three light meals included. Not quite al la carte and a bit repetitive but still excellent food. Based on on board prices of food and wine we think we get excellent value from it. Places are limited. Wine (and only wine /soft drinks) is provided free in the afternoon and evening.

On the gas fridge question we were not asked to turn the gas off. Motorhomes are loaded on the truck deck which remains open to the sea, so there’s no risk of build up. We have never been asked to turn the gas off and after a trip to the deck one day (because some numpty left the lights on in Betsy) I can see why it’s ok. You do get asked on the French crossings and on the train, but the Spanish routes (Done Santander and Bilbao) are ok.
You get three light meals”

We are due to travel on the Pont Aven in April 2025.

We have booked Commodore Class cabins but it only mentions that breakfast is included.

What three meals did you get?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We hated the long crossing, very boring, food/beer expensive.
Take a cool box up to your cabin, we saw lots of people doing that.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
You get three light meals”

We are due to travel on the Pont Aven in April 2025.

We have booked Commodore Class cabins but it only mentions that breakfast is included.

What three meals did you get?
In the lounge it is very “samey” but there are variations. You can get a two good breakfasts UK to Spain. And One Spain to UK. Small players but PLENTY of food.

Lunch is cold meats, Salads, all very nice. But the evening meal has newer hot stuff. The €25 for the restaurant dinner didn’t tickle our taste buds. And in the lounge the wine is included.

We’ve crossed a few times and it’s a bit repetitive but the value is still there !

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
We hated the long crossing, very boring, food/beer expensive.
Take a cool box up to your cabin, we saw lots of people doing that.
Us too. We had access to the club lounge but found it not too great. Food repetitive and boring. Wine and soft drinks but no beer.

No entertainment.

When you compare it with DFDS from Newcastle, it’s an extremely poor journey and poor value for money.

What shocked was on way back the amount people drinking all day before the late arrival at Portsmouth. Of those who we knew were driving of the ferry. There was no way they were fit to drive.

We are driving to Spain this December.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Us too. We had access to the club lounge but found it not too great. Food repetitive and boring. Wine and soft drinks but no beer.

No entertainment.

When you compare it with DFDS from Newcastle, it’s an extremely poor journey and poor value for money.

What shocked was on way back the amount people drinking all day before the late arrival at Portsmouth. Of those who we knew were driving of the ferry. There was no way they were fit to drive.

We are driving to Spain this December.
And very accurate, but also depends on your perspective. We enjoy the food (even if it’s samey/boring) but the calm is great. It’s our treat to ourselves and booked again for our trip back to Blighty before Xmas!

Each to there own.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
And very accurate, but also depends on your perspective. We enjoy the food (even if it’s samey/boring) but the calm is great. It’s our treat to ourselves and booked again for our trip back to Blighty before Xmas!

Each to their own.
Ah the calm.

Came back January 23 and when trying to get something to eat didn’t have enough hands to keep everything on the table. The sea was that rough.

For gods sake I nearly spilt the carafe of wine 😂

The boss spent the afternoon and night in bed, when not in the toilet. Roughest trip ever.

Still didn’t sign 23/24 though. But just too boring

As you see each to their own. The world would be so boring if we were all the same.

Enjoy your trip 👍👍

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Ah the calm.

Came back January 23 and when trying to get something to eat didn’t have enough hands to keep everything on the table. The sea was that rough.

For gods sake I nearly spilt the carafe of wine 😂

The boss spent the afternoon and night in bed, when not in the toilet. Roughest trip ever.

Still didn’t sign 23/24 though. But just too boring

As you see each to their own. The world would be so boring if we were all the same.

Enjoy your trip 👍👍
Never done it in December or back to Spain February. Hoping it’s not too much of a “new experience “. 😉😉🤢

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Never done it in December or back to Spain February. Hoping it’s not too much of a “new experience “. 😉😉🤢
I wouldn’t worry.

December 22 out was fine
January 23 return - rough as owt
December 23 out was fine
January 24 return was fine.

Mind you also did cruise December 2019.
Out was so rough they delayed leaving Southampton. But return was fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back