Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
My Avtex is quite old and does not have an HDMI socket on it.
Now that I have purchased an unlimited sim for our summer-long uk stay, I was wondering whether my firestick could be used with the tv to access internet programmes.
I understand that there are adapters that one can buy but as there are different versions, I am at a loss.
(Attached please see the connection points on my tv and firestick.)
Any pointers appreciated.
Thanks
IMG_1245.jpeg
IMG_1246.jpeg

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
My Avtex is quite old and does not have an HDMI socket on it.
Now that I have purchased an unlimited sim for our summer-long uk stay, I was wondering whether my firestick could be used with the tv to access internet programmes.
I understand that there are adapters that one can buy but as there are different versions, I am at a loss.
(Attached please see the connection points on my tv and firestick.)
Any pointers appreciated.
Thanks
View attachment 905252View attachment 905253
I don't suppose you are passing Hérault in france in the near future, I actualy have a practically unused 12/220v tv that came out of a friends camper, but we dont use it either and would be happy to let it go for a reasonable price.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Unfortunately it’s time to get a new TV. It annoys me that things are so disposable these days, but it’s a reality we are having to live with!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I don't suppose you are passing Hérault in france in the near future, I actualy have a practically unused 12/220v tv that came out of a friends camper, but we dont use it either and would be happy to let it go for a reasonable price.

That’s very nice of you.
Unfortunately we do not plan to ship out from the uk until late August.
Thanks for the thought.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
This is the sort of thing you need. It's important that it has the separate jack plug to get the audio into your telly. The VGA doesn't carry audio.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Unfortunately it’s time to get a new TV. It annoys me that things are so disposable these days, but it’s a reality we are having to live with!
Don't get a smart TV it will become obsolete as the operating system will be Android etc and if you rely on the 'apps' it will become obsolete so something like the Avtex Pro. you can plug a fire stick into or an apple TV (we use the apple TV will not use anything from Google or Amazon) So when the 'apps' are no longer supported you will still be able to use your TV

We have a smart TV at home but use it dumb mode and use a media server and an apple TV that way our home TV will work until it breaks.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I agree with above, time for a new TV..
I would buy a Smart model then no need for the Firestck ..

something like this.. 12v and has everything you need ..

Ultrafast WebOS | Freeview Play | FreeSat | Bluetooth | Netflix | Small TV for Motorhomes | UK Made​

then you have to buy a new one when the apps stop working!

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
This is the sort of thing you need. It's important that it has the separate jack plug to get the audio into your telly. The VGA doesn't carry audio.

Will that work in reverse. The OP needs HDMI to vga

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
had ours about 7 years .. still working 🤷‍♂️

and even if an app stopped working.. which it never has, you could use a Firestick

but all TVs die in the end.. or become obsolete .. as the OPs has.

long gone are the days of grannies tv being 20 years old and still working

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
had ours about 7 years .. still working 🤷‍♂️

and even if an app stopped working.. which it never has, you could use a Firestick

but all TVs die in the end.. or become obsolete .. as the OPs has.

long gone are the days of grannies tv being 20 years old and still working
Your doing well the industry says the average life span of a tv is 4.5- 7 years

From the web, However:
  • LED TVs have the longest life span (11-16 years) with low brightness settings applied.
  • Plasma TVs last only 5-7 years, while LCD screens last 5-10 years.
  • Keep your new TV longer using its Energy Saving mode and a surge protector.

At one time you could down load bbc programs on your computer to a usb drive and play them back whe. You were out and about. The bbc have now stopped this and the service is only available to down load on phones and tablets ! How times change

Also

TVs don't just break down anymore. New problems include apps becoming obsolete and streamers cutting off support for your operating system.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can get a scart to hdmi adaptor lead so you can connect the firestick to that. It is what my nephew has.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't get a smart TV it will become obsolete as the operating system will be Android etc and if you rely on the 'apps' it will become obsolete so something like the Avtex Pro. you can plug a fire stick into or an apple TV (we use the apple TV will not use anything from Google or Amazon) So when the 'apps' are no longer supported you will still be able to use your TV

We have a smart TV at home but use it dumb mode and use a media server and an apple TV that way our home TV will work until it breaks.
If the apps stop updating you can still use external hardware, eg Firestick.
We've just replaced an LG TV at home which was a good number of years old however the apps on it were still being updated by LG with ours being done a couple of months before!

That's the reason we went for an LG Web OS TV, as above.
At one time you could down load bbc programs on your computer to a usb drive and play them back whe. You were out and about. The bbc have now stopped this and the service is only available to down load on phones and tablets !
You still can on a pc using 3rd party software.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If the apps stop updating you can still use external hardware, eg Firestick.

We've just replaced an LG TV at home which was a good number of years old however the apps on it were still being updated by LG with ours being done a couple of months before!

That's the reason we went for an LG Web OS TV, as above.

You still can on a pc using 3rd party software.
I don’t have a PC I have a Mac book

Personally I think ‘smart TV’s’ are a con

Using a media server Apple TV or a fire stick means you have control over what when and how.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Worth noting Firesticks also make VPN's for use abroad easy. Good luck doing that with a TV -> I know ours doesn't have it.
We got a 24" bush TV (needs an inverter) for the motorhome with dvd player inbuild. Has a HMDI port, but does need a source of 240v (we have an inverter). Didn't cost a lot, £120 from Argos at time... We tried 2 Cello TV's same size for more money for a 12V TV, but both were delivered broken, so we just gave up on them.

We plug a firestick into ^ and we have all the apps on the Firestick plus a VPN client so we can appear as in UK even if we not and using campsite wifi anywhere.

ie, Replace the TV it'll probably cost you less than faffing. The Bush we got is good if you have an inverter, as it's got HDR and decent sound too (it's got DTS!).. If you need a 12V TV, the Cellos look good now they have WebOS ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back