Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Having been born and lived as an Army Brat in Germany in my earlier informative years (<16) , I have well set, even if blinkered memories of what it was like.
Since our son and his family returned to Europe from Hong Kong a few years ago we have been visiting them in Berlin and touring wider Germany, we have been saddened with the changes we've found.
The 'Kneipe' (Pub) has virtually disappeared followed by the prolific Imbiss that sold Bratwurst, Chicken und Frites which are sadly now all kebab shops that have also taken over the backwater rural areas we have visited.
However all is not lost, today in Berlin ironically in the most foreign populated area of the city we found an old style traditional pub with an in charge landlady with good beer and unbelievably across the road an Imbiss selling all the traditional grub, Finally it was nice.
But for how long.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think the same is happening in most places Ed - the global phenomenon squeezing out the provincial and national culture (am I even allowed to say that?) 🤷‍♀️

France still seems to be holding out though, especially Brittany and Normandy where we’ve enjoyed a lot of local fare.

Hope you’re enjoying time with the family.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Could be worse, could all be Turkish barbers, none of whom ever seem to have customers but have the flash cars parked up outside.:reel:
Funny you mention that. One opened in my village High St. 6 months ago. Every time I've been past (probably once or twice most days). I've never seen anyone in there and the guy is always outside chatting to passers-by or sat on a chair looking at his phone.

1723742510044.png

The High Street is only about 120yds long and a already had 3 mens' hairdressers.

1723742919725.png

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Italy seems to be holding out in terms of traditional foods . Other than sushi - they are mad for it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Funny you mention that. One opened in my village High St. 6 months ago. Every time I've been past (probably once or twice most days). I've never seen anyone in there and the guy is always outside chatting to passers-by or sat on a chair looking at his phone.

View attachment 935981

The High Street is only about 120yds long and a already had 3 mens' hairdressers.

View attachment 935986
The town I grew up in now 13 miles from where I live has at least 8 Turkish barbers on the high st but no customers. Fill in the blanks yourself

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
I was disappointed last time I was across 4/5 years ago. The autobahn rasthof were gone all fast food now and not very good.
Lay-bys unkempt and toilets there disgusting, not maintained and looked after 😐
The pubs/restaurants were terrible and I used to enjoy German food!
I’m having to go back to check what pension money they have of mine next time I cross the channel, not looking forward to it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A few years ago. Before I retired. We went on a business trip to Finkenwerder where we supplied Airbus with expansion joints for the airbus. ( its where the German Sea planes were manufactured)
We stayed at a local hostelry. The bar was well equipped with all eu spirits etc but no whisky.
We had just come through duty free so handed the barman a half bottle of whiskey ( pre eu joining)to put on his shelf. Well he was so delighted that he went through his entire stock of spirits , giving us a taste of each .A fantastic night was had. We all got blathered. Including the barman/ owner. But never touched the whisky.
German hospitality at its best.
Needless to say we were late for our next morning meeting. :rofl: :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back