Finally, some nice carpets (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Had the van for 7 years and never got round to having carpets made I've finally done it. Its transformed the comfort and made the van a lot more cosy.
2024-04-26 14.16.46.jpg
2024-04-26 14.18.08.jpg
2024-04-26 14.18.29.jpg
2024-04-26 14.18.00.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Personal preferences are so different arenā€™t they. First thing we did with our van is take them out. We do have a nice wood floor and makes the underfloor storage more accessible and bought a few washable strips instead!
IMG_2770.jpeg

Mind you we are not winter campers so that would make a difference. We tour abroad a lot and campsites can be dusty and gravelly so no good for carpets then. Pick up the carpet strips, beat them on a tree outside, sweep the van out and replace - done!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Personal preferences are so different arenā€™t they. First thing we did with our van is take them out. We do have a nice wood floor and makes the underfloor storage more accessible and bought a few washable strips instead!
View attachment 890303
Mind you we are not winter campers so that would make a difference. We tour abroad a lot and campsites can be dusty and gravelly so no good for carpets then. Pick up the carpet strips, beat them on a tree outside, sweep the van out and replace - done!
You are right Robert;) we have lovely cushion floor underneath our carpets I think, I say I think as we put carpet down straight away I can't really remember, we are fully trained to take our shoes off at the step so all stays clean and having no cab doors helps as well, also having no floor hatches meant I could fully fit the carpet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Had the van for 7 years and never got round to having carpets made I've finally done it. Its transformed the comfort and made the van a lot more cosy.View attachment 890259View attachment 890262View attachment 890263View attachment 890258
Seeing your carpets reminds me of last Monday night.

I was ā€œopeningā€ a bottle of red wine when it slipped through my hands and spilled onto the carpet!šŸ˜± The puddle was about 18ā€ diameter before I could pick up the bottle.

I had treated them with Scotchguard when we bought the motorhome so took them outside and poured cold water over then from a watering can. Incredible! The red wine stain just washed straight out with no rubbing.

Drying the carpet took three days but no stain at all.

Excuse me, I have to go onto the Interweb thingy and order some more Scotchguard!šŸ‘

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
You are right Robert;) we have lovely cushion floor underneath our carpets I think, I say I think as we put carpet down straight away I can't really remember, we are fully trained to take our shoes off at the step so all stays clean and having no cab doors helps as well, also having no floor hatches meant I could fully fit the carpet.

About to sort out carpets, was thinking cut, edge whipped and studs for fittingā€¦

How does the edge work when fully fitted, is it held down with anything?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
About to sort out carpets, was thinking cut, edge whipped and studs for fittingā€¦

How does the edge work when fully fitted, is it held down with anything?
A couple of areas of double sided carpet tape but otherwise it is just a tight fit and doesn't move, I used what they call "fitter friendly" carpet, in other words it is felt backed so the coarse hessian doesn't skin your knuckles (I didn't want it to mark the cushion floor underneath) I made a big paper template and then cut out with basically one join at the bathroom door, all the raw edges were sealed with Copydex.

IMG_3368.jpeg
IMG_3381.jpeg

Next time I won't have any joins ;)

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
A couple of areas of double sided carpet tape but otherwise it is just a tight fit and doesn't move, I used what they call "fitter friendly" carpet, in other words it is felt backed so the coarse hessian doesn't skin your knuckles (I didn't want it to mark the cushion floor underneath) I made a big paper template and then cut out with basically one join at the bathroom door, all the raw edges were sealed with Copydex.

View attachment 890444View attachment 890445

Looks great, I have my carpet fitter coming to have a look tomorrow hopefully. I suppose all options are open starting fresh, I think whipped and studded is my favoured option but I only have the cab carpet for template or it would be much easier.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.

Saved nearly Ā£1k alsošŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Looks great, I have my carpet fitter coming to have a look tomorrow hopefully. I suppose all options are open starting fresh, I think whipped and studded is my favoured option but I only have the cab carpet for template or it would be much easier.
I didn't want to risk studs with underfloor heating:LOL:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
View attachment 890303
If we had nice flooring I would do the same as you (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks nice Jez but I have to be honest, I couldn't live with the stitching on that cab carpet!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

Donā€™t you mean ā€œnext van?ā€ šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I didn't want to risk studs with underfloor heating:LOL:

Carpet fitter came today, he would prefer if I made a paper template for him to work from so Iā€™m off to get some lining paper this afternoon.

I have also decided not to use studs and go for some well placed sticky back Velcro.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Carpet fitter came today, he would prefer if I made a paper template for him to work from so Iā€™m off to get some lining paper this afternoon.

I have also decided not to use studs and go for some well placed sticky back Velcro.
Make sure you get some good sticky Velcro as in warm weather it has a tendence to become tacky and pull off.

Reactions: M-J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back