Final check before fixing my solar panel to the roof (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You can get an actuator for 522 from Sikaflex. Beware, both the 522 and the activator have a shortish useful life and they also need ambient temps of above (best check these figures) 13c and specific application time. Sikaflex website has videos showing correct application methods.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Further to my posting above I did a write up on MHF about when I fitted my solar panel, if you search via my username you should find it. Might have some useful information in it for you.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Further to my posting above I did a write up on MHF about when I fitted my solar panel, if you search via my username you should find it. Might have some useful information in it for you.
I've found it, thanks. Working my way through it.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Bear in mind that if your roof is curved, and particulary if mounting the brackets crosswise, you will need to allow for this in the fixings, possibly with slots in the brackets, especially the middle one, otherwise you will put a strain on the panel.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I've spent today drilling, inserting rivnuts and attaching the aluminium angles with the following result:

IMG_6031.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Well done, harder to make good the mastic with the brackets configured under the panel, but a neater finish.
Mike.

Given that the use of the riv nuts I presume the plan would be to fasten the brackets first (a tricky proposition 🤔) and then to fasten the panels on afterwards?

Ian

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Given that the use of the riv nuts I presume the plan would be to fasten the brackets first (a tricky proposition 🤔) and then to fasten the panels on afterwards?

Ian
Rive nuts for panel to bracket, then Sikaflex to ally roof?
I tech screwed my panel to the brackets it's not loosened off yet.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.

Ian
A very tricky proposition, I can't see how that could be done. No, I plan to put the panel and brackets onto the roof today and mark out where the brackets sit, remove the panel and brackets and then prepare the footings - remove the paint to expose the aluminium and fit masking tape around the area. Then apply the adhesive and lower the panel and brackets onto it.

Rive nuts for panel to bracket, then Sikaflex to ally roof?
I tech screwed my panel to the brackets it's not loosened off yet.

That's the plan.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Well done, harder to make good the mastic with the brackets configured under the panel, but a neater finish.
Mike.
I'll clean the mastic up on the outer long edge and the two short edges but I don't think I'll be able to do that on the hidden edge. But then no-one will be able to see it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just make sure you have connected the cables up or they are at least away from under the panel. If not connected just tape them up to one of the sides out of the way. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back