Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Setting about renewing my licence approaching 70. Received forms D2 and D4 and medical booked with D4Drivers.
First relevant question is:

I want to renew or surrender my licence WITH the following entitlement:

The choices are Lorry and Bus.

Do I tick both?

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Sideshow Bob Sorry, a more complete answer -
1) Ask for a form from the DVLA or check if you Post Office has one.
2) Book an appointment with a doctor for the relevant parts of the form. You don’t need to go the D4D, there are recommendations on the internet (including here) but also criticisms. I found the D4D process excellent and the doctor extremely helpful. They complete an eye test but just ask the rest of the medical questions. I had my medical history open on the NHS app on my phone and printed a letter clarifying that my low heart rate has been tested and is “normal”. The doctor found these helpful.
3) Complete the rest of the form and post it to DVLA. The form notes say they include a prepaid envelope but I didn’t get one. I looked up the address and sent it Special Delivery (signed for).

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not in my experience. I have twice renewed my C1 licence in the pre 56 day slot without a new photo and on neither occasion did the new licence run from the renewal date. Both times the new expiry date has remained on the original expiry date, this being the day before my birthday. No con.

If you supply a new photo then they might treat it as a new licence rather than a renewal and perhaps you then lose some time. I don’t know because I have never bothered with the new photo bit and got the application in as early as possible.

I doubt that by the time the form arrives on a desk to be processed the clerk has any information on when the application was received, even if 'signed for'.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Sideshow Bob Sorry, a more complete answer -
1) Ask for a form from the DVLA or check if you Post Office has one.
2) Book an appointment with a doctor for the relevant parts of the form. You don’t need to go the D4D, there are recommendations on the internet (including here) but also criticisms. I found the D4D process excellent and the doctor extremely helpful. They complete an eye test but just ask the rest of the medical questions. I had my medical history open on the NHS app on my phone and printed a letter clarifying that my low heart rate has been tested and is “normal”. The doctor found these helpful.
3) Complete the rest of the form and post it to DVLA. The form notes say they include a prepaid envelope but I didn’t get one. I looked up the address and sent it Special Delivery (signed for).
Brilliant Conal - Thank you very much 👍

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Thats why I was asking if anyone had produced a list

Is this the procedure please?

1) collect form D2 from main post office
2) take form D2 to the medical at D4
3) post form D2 with any medical forms to DVLC?

1) Get a D2 and D4 in envelope from PO or request online
2) Take D4 form to medical
3) Post D2 and D4 to DVLA
3a) D2 is the actual application form for a C1 (and others) licence
3b) D4 is the medical report.

Take details of any medication and blood pressure figures from previous 2 days (if possible)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, my answer was sadly complete (like my memory). I took my medication (statins and asthma) and showed the dates they were first prescribed (NHS history) as per the instructions on the D4 form.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I've got a less than significant birthday soon that makes the significant one looming.
Two questions
is there a box on a form to ensure you retain your other licences eg motorcycle.
i have a paper licence (no plastic) do i need to send photo or is the passport ok.
Question 3
is type 2 diebeties and AF (atrial fibrilation) going to cause any grief/ aggravation? or is there a list of things that does.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Upvote 0

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Hi all, a little info on the Dvla, I have held a class one (artic licence )since I was 21 , now over the years the Dvla were brilliant, I’ve had Medical’s every year since 65
Now im passing 71 it’s been a nightmare , I took my d4/2 forms into the Dvla reception on January 3 2024 (I only live about 20 miles away ) for the staff to check them over , all good ,as I was leaving they asked for my current licence witch is up middle of march, BIG MISTAKE , DO NO SEND YOUR LICENCE BACK, if you do you can not drive any vehicle or even hire one abroad be cause you won’t have your licence to show them
After 4 weeks I phoned Dvla only to be told it can take up to 5 weeks for my licence to go th3 system,,, I have been phoning every week only to be told it’s with the medical department of the Dvla , Now it’s impossible to speak to anyone in this medical department, yet these are the people who decide whether yo get your c1
I have now made a formal complaint via email about the length of time this licence is taking quoting my freedom of movement aboard ( section 88) allows you to drive in this country even if your licence runs out ( the uk police can check with the Dvla ) but foreign police cannot
My next step will be my mp
If you do a online application, your license is back pretty quick
I have been told that during Covid many people in the Dvla went to work from home , so they can access your online form
But if they have to read a actual form , they are not in the office to do so ,so there is a backlog building , I’ve told the Dvla that this is not acceptable and if they are pushing the over seventies back down the line then this amounts to discrimination surely
I ll post again if I ever get my c1 , right now I’m stuck here with our glorious weather
Rant over. DO NOT RETURN YOUR CARD LICENCE

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
AAAAAAAARGH….. sent mine off 6 weeks ago after my first D4d assessment. Was slightly miffed the doctor from D4D insisted on a full medical history, and included details of current chemo for a condition clearly NOT affecting driving according to website.
Did send licence back , did send new photo, forms were quite confusing and lots of differing info on website about payment / non payment.🤬 been checking on line and licence not changed. Rang today got through twice to random department as no relevant option on the recorded answer thingy, very nice efficient people both reassured me licence was in process with medical team which had delays ( grrrrr) and said they would tx me to relevant team and I was promptly disconnected. Will ring again but my oncologist is off sick and it was her details I gave so if they are trying to contact her I am not going to be able to drive 😱😱😱😱😱

Upvote 0

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
As far as I’m aware you can still drive in this country even though your licence has run out ,and it’s their fault it has (due to delays)
It’s only when the Dvla send you a letter (ie medical problem ) telling you to stop driving you are no longer legal

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
As far as I’m aware you can still drive in this country even though your licence has run out ,and it’s their fault it has (due to delays)
It’s only when the Dvla send you a letter (ie medical problem ) telling you to stop driving you are no longer legal
Think the concerns above were not being able to drive/hire a vehicle abroad...

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2014
Sevenoaks, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B690
Exp
Since 2007
I'm about to join the Old Farts Club but getting somewhat confused by the various categories and what constitutes a lorry/bus/minibus. I'm only concerned about retaining my C1, so what box do I need to mark to confirm that I meet the requirements with :nerd:?

20240624_083547.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Still looking
I'd like to share my experiences of applying to retain my C1 Entitlement this year on reaching my 70th. 90 days before, I completed the relevant D2 & D4 forms, arranged an appointment with D4Drivers, their Doctor, I found, as useful as a chocolate teapot! I sent the forms off to the DVLA wirhin a week of the D4Drivers appointment. Due to the fact that I had been diagnosed with Low Pressure Glaucoma several weeks prior to the D4Drivers appointment, the Doctor referred me back to my own opticians to complete the relevant Section on the D4 Form.

Not only did I pass the D4 Optical Test, but what I did do was declare that, 6 weeks previous, I had been diagnosed with Low Pressure Glaucoma in my Left Eye. I advised the DVLA online, immediately, and was told it made no difference as I was intending to only apply to retain my C1 Entitlement. So after not hearing anything for the first four weeks, I contacted the DVLA to ascertain the reason for the delay, to be told that I had to attend an appointment with Specsavers. To try to mitigate the delay, I sent a copy of my written diagnosis from an Opthalmic Consultant from Nuffield Health, plus a comprehensive report and test results, including a Field Vision Test, from a NHS Opthalmic Consultant all showing my eyes were all within normal parameters, and the DVLA refused to accept either, insisting that I have to submit a Report from Specsavers. After another 4 weeks I finally received the Specsavers referral and attended my appointment, undertook all the eye examinations and passed all with flying colours, including three successful attempts of a Field Vision Test, which I passed 123 points out of 124, 123 points out of 124 and 124 points out of 124. These results were sent off and having not heard anything for 3 weeks, I once again contacted the DVLA to be told I had to do the tests again, no reason was given and when I asked to speak to a Medical Assessor, I was told that was not protocol. So I had to start the long drawn out complaints procedure, which after a total of seven months from start to finish, ended up with a written apology from the DVLA and the return of my licence, with the C1 Entitlement!

So be aware, the process can be lengths and drain out and trying to get through to the Medical Assessment Section at the DVLA, is impossible and is akin to wading through mud!

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'd like to share my experiences of applying to retain my C1 Entitlement this year on reaching my 70th. 90 days before, I completed the relevant D2 & D4 forms, arranged an appointment with D4Drivers, their Doctor, I found, as useful as a chocolate teapot! I sent the forms off to the DVLA wirhin a week of the D4Drivers appointment. Due to the fact that I had been diagnosed with Low Pressure Glaucoma several weeks prior to the D4Drivers appointment, the Doctor referred me back to my own opticians to complete the relevant Section on the D4 Form.

Not only did I pass the D4 Optical Test, but what I did do was declare that, 6 weeks previous, I had been diagnosed with Low Pressure Glaucoma in my Left Eye. I advised the DVLA online, immediately, and was told it made no difference as I was intending to only apply to retain my C1 Entitlement. So after not hearing anything for the first four weeks, I contacted the DVLA to ascertain the reason for the delay, to be told that I had to attend an appointment with Specsavers. To try to mitigate the delay, I sent a copy of my written diagnosis from an Opthalmic Consultant from Nuffield Health, plus a comprehensive report and test results, including a Field Vision Test, from a NHS Opthalmic Consultant all showing my eyes were all within normal parameters, and the DVLA refused to accept either, insisting that I have to submit a Report from Specsavers. After another 4 weeks I finally received the Specsavers referral and attended my appointment, undertook all the eye examinations and passed all with flying colours, including three successful attempts of a Field Vision Test, which I passed 123 points out of 124, 123 points out of 124 and 124 points out of 124. These results were sent off and having not heard anything for 3 weeks, I once again contacted the DVLA to be told I had to do the tests again, no reason was given and when I asked to speak to a Medical Assessor, I was told that was not protocol. So I had to start the long drawn out complaints procedure, which after a total of seven months from start to finish, ended up with a written apology from the DVLA and the return of my licence, with the C1 Entitlement!

So be aware, the process can be lengths and drain out and trying to get through to the Medical Assessment Section at the DVLA, is impossible and is akin to wading through mud!
Been there know how it feels, 8 months for me on turning 70.
Like you I had all and any evidence up front, however, my problem started when D4D doctor incorrectly completed a section of the D4. They did not want to help resolve their Doctors mistake referring me to my gp and dvla.
Will never use D4D ever again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Been there know how it feels, 8 months for me on turning 70.
Like you I had all and any evidence up front, however, my problem started when D4D doctor incorrectly completed a section of the D4. They did not want to help resolve their Doctors mistake referring me to my gp and dvla
Sums up my experience with D4Drivers Doctor. My Examination was hurried and very unprofessional!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another point is that unless you need C1 now you don't need to complete the forms until you do. It makes no difference when you apply. I SORNed the van during COVID restrictions and didn't bother renewing the licence until I needed it.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Another point is that unless you need C1 now you don't need to complete the forms until you do. It makes no difference when you apply. I SORNed the van during COVID restrictions and didn't bother renewing the licence until I needed it.
I had to cancel our trip across the water which I had thought with my application 6 months before would have been no problem.

Was not impressed with either D4D or DVLA

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The problem with letting your C1 lapse is that Section 88 does not apply so you have to wait for the new licence to be approved and issued before you can drive a C1 vehicle again.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back