Filling in Dover Harbour for ETIAS (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The infilling of part of Dover harbour has started (and been kept very quiet nationally)
This is to create a large car park so that they have some space to to deal with the long delayed ETIAS biometric checks for entry to the EU.

Story here

However this not going to create anything like the space they will need when even by their own estimates.
A couple of years in, after people have gone through the process a few times, they think they can get the pass through period to under 10 minutes per car.
(It's currently about 45 seconds.)

Initially with a fail rate of between 20% and 80% (My personal experience was 100% fail rate for the first 5-10 times) you could be looking at 30-40 minutes per car load.

Which means one Immigration Officer could be dealing with about 20 vehicles per shift on a bad day
Or 50-60 vehicles on a good day.

At the moment one Immigration Officer can deal with about 50 vehicles per hour.

However; It's what the majority wanted, so for once the recent UK Governments have delivered exactly what they voted for.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The infilling of part of Dover harbour has started (and been kept very quiet nationally)
This is to create a large car park so that they have some space to to deal with the long delayed ETIAS biometric checks for entry to the EU.

Story here

However this not going to create anything like the space they will need when even by their own estimates.
A couple of years in, after people have gone through the process a few times, they think they can get the pass through period to under 10 minutes per car.
(It's currently about 45 seconds.)

Initially with a fail rate of between 20% and 80% (My personal experience was 100% fail rate for the first 5-10 times) you could be looking at 30-40 minutes per car load.

Which means one Immigration Officer could be dealing with about 20 vehicles per shift on a bad day
Or 50-60 vehicles on a good day.

At the moment one Immigration Officer can deal with about 50 vehicles per hour.

However; It's what the majority wanted, so for once the recent UK Governments have delivered exactly what they voted for.
I think I can tolerate a 30 to 40 minute delay to my 10 week holiday 👍😎

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Ha ha!!! :LOL:

That is only if there are no vehicles in front of you!
Even after this facility is built you could be looking at 10-15 hour delays in the summer !
Obviously in winter the delays might only be 3-4 hours

The one port we will NOT be using to exit the UK in the next couple of years will be Dover.
At least the other ports have the time, the facilities and the space to deal with the problem.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Even after this facility is built you could be looking at 10-15 hour delays in the summer !

The one port we will NOT be using to exit the UK in the next couple of years will be Dover.
At least the other ports have the time, the facilities and the space to deal with the problem.
It doesn't officially start until next May, IF it doesn't get delayed again and IF Schengen Zone survives.

In any event I reckon the biggest problem will be in school holiday weekends when most of us don't travel anyway.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
If as predicted it will be a right muddle! I thought I heard that the Western Docks were only going to process coaches but I may be wrong.

I’m interested why you think other ports will be less impacted? If so I might need to change my plans for next January.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
(and been kept very quiet nationally)
Yes kept it extremely quiet
as said that only applies if there is no vehicle in frontif there are 10 then you are looking at 6 hours & 40 minutes
If as predicted it will be a right muddle! I thought I heard that the Western Docks were only going to process coaches but I may be wrong.
No, cars are processed on the "old Boatyard" expected to be complete by october.This ,the western docks Granville infill,is for coaches. Bit late to be starting work for something that is supposed to start in May
Lorries are due to be parked up on the M20

Reactions: DBK

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Too late now, but if they had thought about the issue, then a lot of Samphire Hoe could have been used, although residents of Aycliffe may not have been impressed.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

10-15hrs, perfect time to have a day down the seaside, near the sea with no parking charge, what more could ANY Motorhomefun member ask for, well done Jim ! 😄

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Never use ferries across the Channel, always Le Shuttle. Crossed a few days ago, building huge sheds at Folkestone, obviously for this reason. Did read somewhere they were promising 5 mins! Should be interesting!
But doesn't this happen only once? I understood once the details had been encrypted into your passport it wouldn't need to be done again?

Reactions: DBK
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Have queued for an hour or more entering USA & Egypt in the past, 40 mins is not a big issue.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
you have to do fingerprints or facial at every crossing as how would they tie up passport details with who is holding it? That is my understanding?
Way US does it is fingerprints first time, then facial biometrics on future visits. Facial biometrics in US take about 2 seconds per person to process. So it's a lot less bad than a lot on here saying. Insert passport, it checks facial against both PP values & previous scan on system, if all good, you good, if not = immigration officer.

It failed on the wife's old passport on ONE occiasion as her chip in passport had failed. She was very much NOT happy about this and got a new Passport courtesy of UK gov following year after a complaint.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Way US does it is fingerprints first time, then facial biometrics on future visits. Facial biometrics in US take about 2 seconds per person to process. So it's a lot less bad than a lot on here saying. Insert passport, it checks facial against both PP values & previous scan on system, if all good, you good, if not = immigration officer.

It failed on the wife's old passport on ONE occiasion as her chip in passport had failed. She was very much NOT happy about this and got a new Passport courtesy of UK gov following year after a complaint.
Should also say in US this works well enough that it is the method used before you board a plane (ie, it works in the airport gate environment, not even at a immigration hall). If you think they can still board a plane in 20-30 mins, same as before it adds near 0 time.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I read something the other day that mentioned additional car area for EES checks but that there was a need for approval from France in regard to the placing of relevant staff, particularly because cars would then have to drive to the terminal.
I think a lot of the delay is going to be the necessity for all car occupants to get out of the car in order to use the scanners. I think they are hoping to get something more portable that can be passed around a car but that hasn’t been completed yet.
I believe you do both finger prints and facial recognition first time and then just one after that.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
you have to do fingerprints or facial at every crossing as how would they tie up passport details with who is holding it? That is my understanding?
What happens when you get a new passport,

We are due to travel January so will have to do the fingerprint stuff but as passport 10 years is up in August we will have to renew so will we have to do new fingerprint for new passport.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
What happens when you get a new passport,

We are due to travel January so will have to do the fingerprint stuff but as passport 10 years is up in August we will have to renew so will we have to do new fingerprint for new passport.
If it works like US, you need to do a single finger on the new PP to relink to the old. They don't take both hands on a new PP (I had a new PP myself last year, and we travel average of twice a year to US).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
40 mins is not a big issue.
It may not be too you .I object to any type of waiting even on the phone. You should have enought staff to ensure your customers are through in minutes. I have no patience whatsoever,absolutely none.
So it's a lot less bad than a lot on here saying.
Not really
Insert passport, it checks facial against both PP values & previous scan on system, if all good, you good, if not = immigration officer.
The 50 people have to get off the coach first ,then you'll have the ones, like when shopping, who won't even look for the passport until it is there turn, or the ones who now can't find it.
Given the volumes that we are talking about here, which ones might they be, pray?
Newhaven ,Portsmouth or Plymouth I'd have thought.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It may not be too you .I object to any type of waiting even on the phone. You should have enought staff to ensure your customers are through in minutes. I have no patience whatsoever,absolutely none.

Not really

The 50 people have to get off the coach first ,then you'll have the ones, like when shopping, who won't even look for the passport until it is there turn, or the ones who now can't find it.

Newhaven ,Portsmouth or Plymouth I'd have thought.
When I first started taking coach passenger aboard, in Dover, everyone had to get off, walk through and have their passports checked and stamped and again at other borders one crossed.
That's progress for you!

Before joining the EU, all my trucks had to wait hours in Dover to get their loads cleared by Customs!

Ditto! 😄

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It doesn't officially start until next May, IF it doesn't get delayed again and IF Schengen Zone survives.

In any event I reckon the biggest problem will be in school holiday weekends when most of us don't travel anyway.

ETIAS is scheduled for May 2025. EES scheduled for Nov 2024.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Your problem then. Guess you wont be coming to UK anytime soon.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
I remember going to Germany in the 70's with 30+ Scouts and Leaders. I was about 17 but had done German at school so was deputed to take the passports to the border control going into Germany. They took one look at me holding all the passports and waved me through :giggle:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I remember going to Germany in the 70's with 30+ Scouts and Leaders. I was about 17 but had done German at school so was deputed to take the passports to the border control going into Germany. They took one look at me holding all the passports and waved me through :giggle:
They love a uniform! 😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back