Fiat electrical power cut out

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668 (2017)
Exp
Random experience - shortly after we started a drive, we lost all power (electrical) which also killed the engine.

Pulled over and everything was dead - nothing happened when turning the key, no lights or power at all. Couldn't even put the hazards on.

I'd assumed there was a fuse which had gone somewhere, after faffing for 30mins, I put a multimeter on the battery, which either I was using incorrectly in the rush, or was malfunctioning because it was reading 2v (battery is 9 months old) - anyway, I assumed there could be a battery issue, I have a jump pack which I connected (which hadn't been charged for years and was half empty) and everything immediately came back to life. The engine started without issue with the pack attached, although I'm struggling to believe it was starting from the battery pack given it wasn't fully charged and seemed to start with no issue. It was almost as if something reset once 12v was applied.

No doubt the main battery was under load when this happened. We'd just left Disney for 5 days, so there wasn't any solar going into the starter battery (parked under cover) and we'd definitely stressed the battery just a few mins before - lifting the levelling legs, filling the airbags, B2B firing up with low hab batteries and Aircon in the cab. Could that have been a factor?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any idea what could have happened? Most confusing is when it died, it was completely dead. With battery issues, I'm used to the dash working but just not having enough power to turn over. In this case it was like the battery wasn't connected.

Everything has been running fine ever since. Once we got it running we drove for 3hrs and since then it's fired up immediately without any issue at all and has every time since.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Check the battery earth strap for tightness.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back