Fiat Ducato Radio Timeout (1 Viewer)

AMotorhomer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Compact C500
Earlier this year we bought a Swift motorhome and quickly ran into the Fiat Ducato 20 minute radio timeout problem.

Neither Swift nor Fiat showed any interest in fixing this, but Fiat/Stellantis said that we could replace the radio at our own expense if we weren't happy. Their complete indifference was extremely irritating, particularly as a "Campervan Mode" with 180 minute timeout was an option in the owner config settings on earlier models. No explanation or technical reason was given on why this was no longer available.

The CAMC Legal Advice Service response was that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, particularly Section 10, the short timeout made the radio unfit for purpose in the context of use in a motorhome habitation unit and that we would be able to seek redress. (NB: They said that notice had to be given to the dealer within 6 months of purchase and weā€™re within this.) We've given the dealer notice of our intention to proceed.

Our preference is for Fiat to make a change to the timeout threshold available for all owners through their dealer network - maybe to 250 minutes - and standard on all new Ducatos being supplied for motorhome builds. However, if we have to look at getting the unit replaced then we intend to do this and expect the dealer to cover the all the costs involved.

I've written to CAMC, the CaCC, the NCC and motorhome magazines about this and logged the issue with Trading Standards. I'm also posting this in different forums to raise awareness of the position. It would be helpful if owners start to press this with dealers, manufacturers and Fiat with the aim of getting a config change made available. Fiat/Stellantis might find this an easier option than the prospect of thousands of radio units being replaced and the financial, environmental and reputational cost that would result.

Fiat say the 20 minute timeout is to protect the vehicle battery from draining, but as users simply can switch the unit back on when it switches off, this isn't actually achieved.

The condition of the battery displays in the vehicle information display and a rather better solution might be to disable accessories when the battery charge drops below a defined level and to warn the user. This would protect the battery for motorhome owners off-grid while enabling indefinite accessory use for those connected to mains power and/or with a solar panel providing battery charge when the engine isn't running.

A rather better way to protect the battery?

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
Agree a backward step from stelantis I do have a diagram /info which states builders can rewire the radio to be on with ign off. (Supply from aux battery)This is done from habitation connection block

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Swift could easily add a switch on the dash that swaps the 12v supply over to the leisure battery if they wished. My Rapido Van has one as standard.

It isn't really a FIAT defect.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Stellantis can just argue that they didn't intend their vans to be hacked up as motorhomes. It's an after market conversion. So your best case might be against the converter.

Even then, you're going to have a very hard time arguing that it's unfit for purpose. Unfit for purpose legislation is if the product wears out too fast or breaks when you use it for the purpose it was sold for. Being inconvenient doesn't really count.

OP
OP
A

AMotorhomer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Compact C500
Agree a backward step from stelantis I do have a diagram /info which states builders can rewire the radio to be on with ign off. (Supply from aux battery)This is done from habitation connection block
Thanks - could you let me have this information? Could you post it here? I'll pass it on to the dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

AMotorhomer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Compact C500
Stellantis can just argue that they didn't intend their vans to be hacked up as motorhomes. It's an after market conversion. So your best case might be against the converter.

Even then, you're going to have a very hard time arguing that it's unfit for purpose. Unfit for purpose legislation is if the product wears out too fast or breaks when you use it for the purpose it was sold for. Being inconvenient doesn't really count.
Thanks for responding. Fiat sell the Ducato chassis for builders to use for different types of vehicles and a number of config options are available. I've found details outlined in the "Fiat Ducato 2016 Convertersā€™ and Upfittersā€™ Manual". On page 113 are the details of how to change the radio power off timeout to 180 minutes. I don't know whether this is relevant to our model though.
The CAMC Legal Advice Service were very clear in their view that a 20 minute timeout meant that the radio was unfit for purpose in the context of use in a motorhome and a claim for redress being available through the Consumer Right Act 2015.
It is the responsibility of the seller to ensure fitness for purpose and so we're in touch with the dealer to seek a resolution. They've confirmed that there is no config option available to them and have now taken the issue up with Swift.
We'll wait and see what comes back.

OP
OP
A

AMotorhomer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Compact C500
Swift could easily add a switch on the dash that swaps the 12v supply over to the leisure battery if they wished. My Rapido Van has one as standard.

It isn't really a FIAT defect.
I'd agree, this is the radio working as designed, which might be OK for a delivery van, but not for a motorhome. It was up to Swift to configure this properly. A switch to run off the leisure battery would deal with the problem.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
Thanks - could you let me have this information? Could you post it here? I'll pass it on to the dealer.
its about 10 page dbl sided fiat workshop document. converter manual E3094 - SOCKET FOR TRANSFORMER VERSION a fiat dealer should be able to access this ok but as others have said it really is a converter issue

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
What a load of fuss over nothing. No need for legal action. It took me 30 minutes and Ā£5 worth of materials (essentially a 2 way switch) to fit a switch that allows me to choose between the radio being ignition switched as Fiat (quite reasonably) intended or permanently on with the ignition key removed.

It's definitely not a Fiat / Stellensis issue, and not really a Swift issue either.

By fitting your own overide switch you are accepting responsibility for the potential to flatten your cab battery by excessive radio use.

Last edited:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I'm sorry if this response is not supporting you but the Fiat Ducato base vehicle is for a delivery van and it is not specifically intended to be converted to a money no object luxury home on wheels. Anything forward of the front seats is van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

AMotorhomer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Compact C500
I'm sorry if this response is not supporting you but the Fiat Ducato base vehicle is for a delivery van and it is not specifically intended to be converted to a money no object luxury home on wheels. Anything forward of the front seats is van.
Thanks for the response, though I'd suggest that though the Fiat Ducato base could be used for a delivery van, it could also be used for a motorhome or an ambulance or other type of vehicle. In the context of a motorhome where the audio system ends up in a front lounge I don't think it unreasonable to expect it to stay on for more than 20 minutes, particularly when we're on mains hookup. The really irritating thing is that neither Fiat nor Swift have come back with any information on why the previously available extended timeout option is now unavailable.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Our Hobby is wired by the converter with a permanent supply from the habitation battery. We can always have the media system on when parked up. Annoyingly the system comes on every time the ignition is used to start the engine and goes of immediately the key is turned from the run position. Even if it was originally switched on without the ignition being "on".

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Someone must have taken heed of your impending legal action, in my 2023 Pilote on a Ducato Chassis the radio is fed from the ignition when that is on and the Hab battery via the accessories switch on the control panel when the ignition is off. It does not timeout.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back