Fiat Ducato Haynes Manual (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Can they only be gotten on line now?
I‘d much rather have the good old fashioned book in my hands to browse through but can’t seem to find one anywhere? My van is based on a 2007 platform chassis just in case anyone has more luck than I have!
Ta.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I used to love getting a new Haynes Manual when I changed cars, (usually old bangers in the very early days ;) ), and swotting up on the maintenance requirements for that model, eg, static timing at 10 degrees before TDC, or dynamic timing with a strobe light, etc.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Me too. I still have maybe a dozen from my 50's and 60's cars which are now long gone.
The Haynes made everything seem so simple........

Haynes Sprid.jpg

May 19, 2018
Funster No
To be honest, the paper they are printed on now is rubbish. They are basically very thin cardboard in colour and texture. Still easier to use than the digital versions though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Can they only be gotten on line now?
I‘d much rather have the good old fashioned book in my hands to browse through but can’t seem to find one anywhere? My van is based on a 2007 platform chassis just in case anyone has more luck than I have!
Ta.
You Tube seems to be the go to site for all kinds of repairs these days.

Its all I've needed for ages now.

I think books have had their day :Eeek:

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
You Tube seems to be the go to site for all kinds of repairs these days.

Its all I've needed for ages now.

I think books have had their day :Eeek:
Yebbut if you’re in the highlands of Scotland with zero phone signal an on line brochure ain’t gonna help is it! This was exactly my predicament earlier this year when I thought my starter battery was having a hissy fit. This is why I want a book. (y)

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
If you ever get chance to visit Haynes motor museum in Somerset do it. We spent a day there just before the motorhome show in Shepton and really enjoyed it. They have a vast array of all types of vehicles.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
right now i need a piece of info and dont mind if its a book or online but dont want to spend on whats not there (if you understand)
Pin outs for a 2017 ducato 2.3 ECU marelli 9DF
is the Haynes info worthwhile or just generic bull.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Ive always wanted a manual for my 2002 2.8jtd Ducato. As you say Haynes dont do one and the two digital/CD ones I have had from ebay are next to useless. If any one can point me in the direction of one that has the steps on changing the gearbox speed sensor I would be grateful.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
If like my 2001 Boxer based 2.8HDi/Jtd it is easy to find and change the gearbox speed sensor.

Raise the front of the van on blocks (safely!). On top of the gearbox, to the rear and near the engine locate the mechanical speedo cable. The sensor is the plastic thing, with an electric plug, fitted into the gearbox. Disconnect the electric plug, the mechanical cable and the one bolt holding the sensor to the gearbox. It will be stiff and hard to get out as dirt will have got in and the o'ring old and stiff.
When you replace it clean the area and lubricate he o'ring, make sure the sensor inner square section aligns with gearbox before tightening the bolt. The same when reconnecting the mechanical cable.

I had a fault pop up on OBD which suggested speed sensor fault. Could not understand how it knew as the van has a mechanical cable driven speedo! Further research showed the sensor is there to tell the ECU the van is moving and how fast so it can control the engine when coasting, foot off, not stalling when stopped etc. Probably added when the common rail desiel is fitted without changing the speedo design. Clever stuff.

Sensor available from Coastal Motorhomes in Ringwood, Dorset.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Many thanks 68c, much appreciated. Does the mechanical cable pull straight out of the sensor or is it held in place by threads or a clip?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Watching a film with my wife at present. Will look at the old one later.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
OK, found the old one. The mechanical cable is held in with a tapered rubber pin. It pulls out towards the front of the van. The lower drive pin is not in this old one, cannot remember but perhaps I had to swap it into the new one.
20231212_233835.jpg
20231212_233846.jpg 20231212_233918.jpg

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
While I'm waiting for a decent day to do the job here's a thought. As you can see below my sensor has a black plastic attachment either side (a ridged stopper and a small hose)of the horizontal pipe which I've not seen on any other sensor on the web. Could this be a relief valve and the gearbox is overfilled?
20231129_143343.jpg

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Just took a quick look and theres no hole in the "hose" side and no hole or much flexibility in the "stopper" side. So what are they for and are they required in the sensor I need to order? 68c's sensor didn't have them. This ducato has done my head in over the years, it seems to have been a crossover year of manufacture and getting parts has always been awkward.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Your one looks like mine other than the top and bottom not rivetted together. Coastal Motorhome's website states there are two versions on this item, do not know what it is but try phoning Coastal, they are a helpful bunch. 01202 978554.
I do not know what you mean by the parts not fitted on mine, you do understand the round black part to the right and the black 'tail' hanging down to the left is the tapered rubber plug you pull out to release the mechanical cable. The hole in the sensor is also taperered.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Aahhh!! Thats what you meant by a tapered plug. Many thanks, great knowledge. If we had a decent workshop manual we wouldn't need to mither kind souls like you.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Do they still use that utterly unhelpful term "test by substitution"? Used to really get my goat in my 20s. We're not all like Jock!

Dave
Quoi? If you mean "hands on and have a go" Dave, your more hands on and will have a go, than many I know. ;)

Cheers,

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
That's OK. If you have trouble unclipping the electrical connection try unclipping the cable to give a bit more slack then remove the sensor with theplug attached. This will ensble you to tilt the sendor and see how it unclips. Leave some slack when you refit it as the gearbox/engine move around while driving. I should point out there is a short shaft with a plastic gear between the sensor and the gearbox which may stay in the gearbox or come away with the sensor.
Why are you removing it? I hear some remove it to add oil to the gearbox in which case you have to remove the short shaft and plastic gear.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Quoi? If you mean "hands on and have a go" Dave, your more hands on and will have a go, than many I know. ;)

Cheers,

Ha! Well, maybe, when I know what I'm doing. To quote Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force "A Man's Gotta know His Limitations". No, a test by substitution is when you are supposed to reach behind you on the shelf for a new alternator, or whatever, swap it in and if the vehicle now works, that was the problem! Very helpful - not! :rolleyes: Normal people don't hold your spares stocks :laughing:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Do they still use that utterly unhelpful term "test by substitution"? Used to really get my goat in my 20s. We're not all like Jock!

Dave

And also.....

Refitting is the reverse of the removal procedure'...
🤣🤣

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Hello 68c, I need to remove as its leaking oil as you can see in the photo. If I clean it up its back again the next day and dripping onto the driveway, not that I'm bothered about that more I don't know how much is left in.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Are you sure it is gearbox oil? It usually has a distinct smell and cleaner than engine oil. If you want to get clever, like the garages, you could research using a UV dye and a UV torch, put some in the engine oil then monitor it with the UV torch if not indicating then try, a different colour, in the gearbox. Most antfreeze already has the dye for tracing water leaks. Dye and torch on Ebay.
May be worth draining the gearbox then refilling with the correct quantity.
That will lead to the old theory that a little extra is needed to help lubricate the 5th gear. Loads of posts here on that subject. If you have just bought the van perhaps someone before has been a little over generous.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Ha! Well, maybe, when I know what I'm doing. To quote Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force "A Man's Gotta know His Limitations". No, a test by substitution is when you are supposed to reach behind you on the shelf for a new alternator, or whatever, swap it in and if the vehicle now works, that was the problem! Very helpful - not! :rolleyes: Normal people don't hold your spares stocks :laughing:
Ah yes Dave, very much like the difference between a fitter and a mechanic. That's why I am very keen to retain the services of my mechanic pal, as he starts small and works his way up, repairing if viable. (y)

If you have just bought the van perhaps someone before has been a little over generous.
Or the used wrong gearbox oil, ie, not the correct viscosity. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Its definitely gearbox oil, nice and clean (only changed in Aug after 5th gear rebuild) and got that sickly smell. Ive had the mohome 9 years and the bills are starting to creep in and parts getting harder to find being 21 years old. Fyi, 5th gear went cos water got in through breather tube as the cap was missing so i reckon the contaminated oil (or gravy as that is what it was) has ruined the o ring and i think there maybe another seal too thats effected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back