Fiat Ducato Dash Lights Dim when Road Lights on (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
On a Fiat Ducato 2022 series 8 with the 10” infotainment, I have a minor but irritating issue that when the road lights are switched on whilst driving the screen dims and is almost unreadable on a dull day or tunnel etc, when I look in the settings, the box to change this is greyed out but you can change the normal brightness of the screen with lights off? Anybody found a way round this please?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As far as I'm aware it's a known design fault with Fiat Ducatto's going back many years.

The only solution is to use a separate GPS speedo.
There are several on these pages that people have used with varying degrees of success.

I think there was a company who were producing a better card to insert into the speedo, but that may have only applied to the older manual ones.

We rented a Ducatto based MoHo, experienced this known design fault, and therefore bought a Mercedes based MoHo.

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
As far as I'm aware it's a known design fault with Fiat Ducatto's going back many years.

The only solution is to use a separate GPS speedo.
There are several on these pages that people have used with varying degrees of success.

I think there was a company who were producing a better card to insert into the speedo, but that may have only applied to the older manual ones.

We rented a Ducatto based MoHo, experienced this known design fault, and therefore bought a Mercedes based MoHo.
Thanks Brains, the van is great apart from this issue, it sounds trivial but when going through long tunnels in France and Spain and you can’t see the Sat Nav or Speedo etc

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Have you tried doing the adjustment just with ignition on but not the engine.
Some stuff you can only do with engine off.
Yes, I had a go both ways this afternoon, will try again when I get a moment - thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Richard26

Free Member
Jul 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD736
On a Fiat Ducato 2022 series 8 with the 10” infotainment, I have a minor but irritating issue that when the road lights are switched on whilst driving the screen dims and is almost unreadable on a dull day or tunnel etc, when I look in the settings, the box to change this is greyed out but you can change the normal brightness of the screen with lights off? Anybody found a way round this please?
Hi Bob,
New Ducato/Burstner owner with 10" Display.
Currently in Italy/South of France using one tunnel after another and have spent last hour trying to find the setting for daytime dash lights with head lights on!!!
Did you ever resolve this?

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
And how does this allow you to see the Sat-Nav screen?
You don't need to, you stay the same speed as you set on the dash.
I have a Ducato 8 with the 2022 dash and it isn't a problem. I can always see the speed, even with my headlights on (which I do often in the day as , otherwise, the smart alternator doesn't charge the batteries). We also use a TomTom satnav which carries the speed limit and our current speed. We do this as the speed limits can be very confusing.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
You don't need to, you stay the same speed as you set on the dash.
I have a Ducato 8 with the 2022 dash and it isn't a problem. I can always see the speed, even with my headlights on (which I do often in the day as , otherwise, the smart alternator doesn't charge the batteries). We also use a TomTom satnav which carries the speed limit and our current speed. We do this as the speed limits can be very confusing.
Perhaps time to invest in a B2B to overcome the charging problem.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Every car I've had dims the displays and dash when the lights are on. The presumption is it is dark outside so it must be dark inside. The manufacturers gloss over the times when we put our lights on to be seen rather than to see. DRLs only work at the front so are of limited use (many drivers seem to think they work at the rear aswell so don't switch on their lights when it's gloomy :mad:) Unfortunately I've never come across a grey UK day switch for the lights.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Perhaps time to invest in a B2B to overcome the charging problem.
Hi, thanks, the van already has a B2B booster. The smart alternator system only charges when the vehicle brain tells it to. Spoofing it with headlights is an easy workaround, as the vehicle system tells it to charge continuously if they are on. Otherwise, B2B or not, we would arrive after a long drive and our fridge would have drained the leisure batteries on the journey.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Hi, thanks, the van already has a B2B booster. The smart alternator system only charges when the vehicle brain tells it to. Spoofing it with headlights is an easy workaround, as the vehicle system tells it to charge continuously if they are on. Otherwise, B2B or not, we would arrive after a long drive and our fridge would have drained the leisure batteries on the journey.
The B2B should be charging the leisure battery whatever the alternator is doing. The alternator should cut in when it needs to without headlight spoofing.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
Mine does the same but always use the satnav for speed and can easily change it to Km but just done a lot of mileage in Norwegian tunnels and it then becomes useless when there is no signal so speed wise you drive blind

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
it sounds trivial but when going through long tunnels in France and Spain and you can’t see the Sat Nav or Speedo etc
I have that problem too but taking my sunglasses off cures the problem. 🤣

I said that in jest but the amount of times I've done that probably 90% of the time.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
The smart alternator system only charges when the vehicle brain tells it to. Spoofing it with headlights is an easy workaround
Sounds like your B2B is set to sense voltage thresholds rather than using the engine run D+.signal. If that is the case, the voltage thresholds need setting up correctly.

OP
OP
Sideshow Bob
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line

I said that in jest but the amount of times I've done that probably 90% of the time.
Ha Ha -Yes I’m the same wondering why it’s a bit dark 🤔🤣

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Every car I've had dims the displays and dash when the lights are on. The presumption is it is dark outside so it must be dark inside. The manufacturers gloss over the times when we put our lights on to be seen rather than to see. DRLs only work at the front so are of limited use (many drivers seem to think they work at the rear aswell so don't switch on their lights when it's gloomy :mad:) Unfortunately I've never come across a grey UK day switch for the lights.
I also have never seen a vehicle that doesn't do it, don't know why fiat should be any different.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

My sunglasses are polarised, which makes dashboard or sat nav displays shimmer, so I bought one of those separate satellite speed displays, for its very clear displays, really cheap, easy to switch between km and mph, and works a treat.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
The B2B should be charging the leisure battery whatever the alternator is doing. The alternator should cut in when it needs to without headlight spoofing.
The problem with 'smart' alternators is the voltage that the system is set up to maintain just 12.3v on the vehicle battery. (This is to support stop/start, and to minimise emissions).
Older systems used to work as you suggest, but a B2B is no use if the vehicle battery is only 12.3v, as nothing can flow to the leisure battery.
It is set to charge when you use engine braking /coming down hill in gear.

You can check this by getting someone to look at your voltage meter near the door while you rev the engine. It doesn't charge unless you put your headlights on. (Or unless the vehicle battery drops below 12.3v)

These new systems are not good for motorhomes if left to their own devices imho.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The problem with 'smart' alternators is the voltage that the system is set up to maintain just 12.3v on the vehicle battery. (This is to support stop/start, and to minimise emissions).
Older systems used to work as you suggest, but a B2B is no use if the vehicle battery is only 12.3v, as nothing can flow to the leisure battery.
It is set to charge when you use engine braking /coming down hill in gear.

You can check this by getting someone to look at your voltage meter near the door while you rev the engine. It doesn't charge unless you put your headlights on. (Or unless the vehicle battery drops below 12.3v)

These new systems are not good for motorhomes if left to their own devices imho.
A B2B will run perfectly well on 12.3 V just the same as your headlights do. The input operating range on my Votronic B2B was 10.5V to 16.5V. The Schaudt B2B has an input operating range of 12V to 15V. If your B2B only operates when the headlights are running and the voltage is raised then you have a fault.

This article might help to explain how a B2B overcomes the smart alternator issue, it is what they are designed to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back