Fiat Ducato Airbag ECU fault. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Like many others, I recently fell victim to this all too common problem after the battery on my 2013 Fiat Ducato based Autotrail motorhome went flat with a persistent warning light. New vehicle and leisure batteries fitted and an OEM replacement ECU purchased which I had fitted at Airbag Team in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. I would like to commend Airbag Team to other members as the service I received was excellent. I arrived at the appointed time and was attended to immediately on arrival, greeted in a pleasant, friendly and helpful manner and waited in the waiting area whilst the ECU was replaced. I was offered a hot drink whilst I waited in a clean and comfortable waiting area and the work was completed within 45 minutes of my arrival with everything replaced and left tidy as it was on arrival. One curious detail which seems rather strange is that I started the motorhome up and took it off my drive, parking it outside the house on the road before departing for Airbag Team 40 minutes later. The airbag warning light was on when I first started the engine to put the motorhome out on the road as it had consistently been since fault first occurred. Sod's law prevailed and on later start up to set off for my appointment with Airbag Team the warning light went out and the mileometer stopped flashing!!! I wonder if this has happened to anyone else in that the ECU warning light appeared to resolve itself. However, I still felt the need for caution and peace of mind so went ahead with the replacement of the ECU with later dated (2021) unit which I hope will prevent the problem recurring in the future.

OP
OP
S
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
In previous post re Airbag ECU I stated that both vehicle and leisure batteries were placed. Vehicle battery was replaced to enable fixing of Airbag fault. It just so happened that the leisure batteries were also rapidly losing and not holding charge so needed changing at the same time. I have no reason to suppose that they were involved in the causation of the Airbag fault. The overall mystery for me is why the airbag warning light issue decided to resolve itself when I set off to have the Airbag ECU replaced. I have kept the old ECU but have no idea if the fault would have returned or not and therefore played safe.

OP
OP
S
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
In previous post re Airbag ECU I stated that both vehicle and leisure batteries were replaced at the same time. Vehicle battery was replaced because it had failed and needed not only to enable fixing of Airbag fault. It just so happened that the leisure batteries were also rapidly losing and not holding charge so needed changing at the same time. I have no reason to suppose that they were involved in the causation of the Airbag fault. The overall mystery for me is why the airbag warning light issue decided to resolve itself when I set off to have the Airbag ECU replaced. I have kept the old ECU but have no idea if the fault would have returned or not and therefore played safe

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I do wish Fiat would own up to the fact that certain age ECU's were prone to failure, the newer ones are less so, and I believe now have additional an earth strap installed to the floor metalwork.
Most MH dealers have a stock of replacements on the shelf just waiting for the next victim to arrive, I know my dealer does this (Chelston Motor Homes, Wellington, Somerset) as they did two vans whilst I was there having an MOT/Service carried out.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Like many others, I recently fell victim to this all too common problem after the battery on my 2013 Fiat Ducato based Autotrail motorhome went flat with a persistent warning light. New vehicle and leisure batteries fitted and an OEM replacement ECU purchased which I had fitted at Airbag Team in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. I would like to commend Airbag Team to other members as the service I received was excellent. I arrived at the appointed time and was attended to immediately on arrival, greeted in a pleasant, friendly and helpful manner and waited in the waiting area whilst the ECU was replaced. I was offered a hot drink whilst I waited in a clean and comfortable waiting area and the work was completed within 45 minutes of my arrival with everything replaced and left tidy as it was on arrival. One curious detail which seems rather strange is that I started the motorhome up and took it off my drive, parking it outside the house on the road before departing for Airbag Team 40 minutes later. The airbag warning light was on when I first started the engine to put the motorhome out on the road as it had consistently been since fault first occurred. Sod's law prevailed and on later start up to set off for my appointment with Airbag Team the warning light went out and the mileometer stopped flashing!!! I wonder if this has happened to anyone else in that the ECU warning light appeared to resolve itself. However, I still felt the need for caution and peace of mind so went ahead with the replacement of the ECU with later dated (2021) unit which I hope will prevent the problem recurring in the future.
How much did they charge?

Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
I've just had my airbag ECU replaced by Northern Autotech in Morecambe. £380 inc VAT with one year warranty.
Carl told me that the original ECUs were European made, Hungary I think he said, but since January this year they've been made and supplied by a UK manufacturer. Since then (touching wood) they haven't had a single problem.
Took him about 40 minutes to diagnose on plugged-in PC and repair (I went for lunch with my stepdaughter at Royal Toby and had carvery!).

Just to add, Carl said (and we know from reports on here) that this is a very common problem. One I suggest that should have been the subject of an official Fiat recall?? Fat chance!

Sep 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726G
I've just had the same issue, can't quite work out what caused the issue but it appeared whilst I had the dash apart replacing the head unit, there was a lot of seat swiveling and a little messing about under the seats so I may have disturbed a cable or connector, or it could have been a battery voltage issue...who knows

Anyway I decided to tackle myself and removed the SRS ECU, remove the tiny eeprom chip and read the data with a CH341 programmer following instructions on digitalkaos forum, I attempted to clear the data in the hex code myself but on replacement it still failed....I sent the file over to a very helpful chap from that forum who made a further adjustment to the file, at this point I wasn't hopeful but removed and de-soldered once again and programmed the new code....replaced the unit and voilà fault gone🥳
I sent the guy some 🍺🍺 via PayPal as a thankyou but he wasn't asking for payment....I also compared the fixed file and uploaded the screenshot to the forum detailing the file changes so others in future may be able to fix on there own.

My vehicle is a Ducato 2014 230MJ X250 facelift (SRS ECU 01370978080) and here is the forum link:

PXL_20240923_200617090~2.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have read through the repair procedures shown above but have to advise that I don't have the skills/ confidence to carry out such a delicate procedure as removing a tiny chip off a pcb board and then reprogramming it. And then soldering it back into place. That's another world to me plus I don't have the necessary computing tools. :eek:
I suppose for most of us the only way forward with a duff ecu is to fork put for a new one and then have it proxy aligned.(y)
Interesting nonetheless .

OP
OP
S
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
How much did they charge?
Airbag Team charged £240 inc. VAT for removing and replacing the ECU with a new unit and proxy aligned. Although I thought it was rather expensive as I had already bought the replacement OEM unit, it was so convenient as I live only 5 miles away and was able to make an appointment for a convenient time and quickly before the MOT expires. Despite the cost the service was excellent and I didn't want to rely on a repaired ECU as I've learnt from other people that repaired units often fail again within a month or two. The OEM unit cost £345 so all in all it wasn't a cheap job but still far less than a Main Dealer or Brownhills would charge. Airbag Team do repair ECUs for £72 if anyone wants to take a chance on using a repair job.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I do wish Fiat would own up to the fact that certain age ECU's were prone to failure, the newer ones are less so, and I believe now have additional an earth strap installed to the floor metalwork.
Most MH dealers have a stock of replacements on the shelf just waiting for the next victim to arrive, I know my dealer does this (Chelston Motor Homes, Wellington, Somerset) as they did two vans whilst I was there having an MOT/Service carried out.
LES
You'd think as a safety item it should be a compulsory recall. The amount of these that go faulty is way above the normal failure level for an electric item.

OP
OP
S
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
LES
I totally agree that this should have been a recall issue and not only affected Fiat vehicles but Peugeot and Citroen as well. The issue has been far too common and and occurred over quite a few years so it took far too long for this issue to be corrected on newer units.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You have only got to ask yourself how many cars have had flat starter batteries that you have either owned or known about, that needed to have new passenger seatbelt ECU's and re-programming as a result? Answer: None that I have ever owned or know about.
The regulator who ever that is should have been made aware of this safety issue and insisted on a free warranty fix for the issue. Can we trust that the air bag actually works when needed?, I hope we dont find out the hard way.
I did have a safety re-call on a 2003 BMW 330CI many years ago as there was a known problem on the passenger air bag inflation due to corrosion on the gas bottle, the car was about 6/7 years old at the time.
LES

OP
OP
S
Jul 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
LES
Do you have any details on how the additional earth strap is connected? It would be helpful to know so that I can be belt and braces.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Jim could we put some pressure on to get a recall sorted? We seem to get so many of our members experiencing the airbag fault. I dread to think what we have spent as a group getting the fault fixed.

Reactions: f6c
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Jim could we put some pressure on to get a recall sorted? We seem to get so many of our members experiencing the airbag fault. I dread to think what we have spent as a group getting the fault fixed.
I admire your optimism, I know Jim is a VIP and all but Stellantis will take absolutely no notice, they probably only get complaints from private owners ie motorhomers which is a tiny minority.

It's not even a safety issue if the warning light comes on as you can either risk driving (your choice) it or get recovered.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Airbag Team charged £240 inc. VAT for removing and replacing the ECU with a new unit and proxy aligned. Although I thought it was rather expensive as I had already bought the replacement OEM unit, it was so convenient as I live only 5 miles away and was able to make an appointment for a convenient time and quickly before the MOT expires. Despite the cost the service was excellent and I didn't want to rely on a repaired ECU as I've learnt from other people that repaired units often fail again within a month or two. The OEM unit cost £345 so all in all it wasn't a cheap job but still far less than a Main Dealer or Brownhills would charge. Airbag Team do repair ECUs for £72 if anyone wants to take a chance on using a repair job.
Was there any warranty offered with the new unit. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Do you have any details on how the additional earth strap is connected? It would be helpful to know so that I can be belt and braces.
I fitted an additional earth to one of the holding down bolts and then to a cleaned up bolt hole adjacent to the battery box .there was a picture somewhere of a short earthing cable that peugeot use.
Needless to say the extra earth lead didn't stop my ecu from failing .
On an additional note I never experienced the odeometer flashing just the airbag light on constantly and the text type warning coming up on the dash .
1000020110.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back