Fiat Ducato air con problem. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
We have an ongoing problem with the cab air con on our (2021 model) Ducato.
When on holiday in France/Germany last June it was quite hot and we thought that our air con wasn't as cold as normal.
When we returned home the weather wasn't that good so the air con wasn't used much until one good weekend in September when it stopped working completely.
Booked it into Fiat Professional for them to have a look and they said that there was a hole in an air conditioning pipe which would be replaced under warranty.
This was replaced last November and all appeared to be working again.
Fast forward to this summer and with our rubbish weather the air con hadn't been used much but when it was used it only appeared to work some of the time.
When it did work it appeared to be working well. (I would say it does work 3 times out of 4)
I booked it back in with Fiat but unfortunately on the day it worked perfectly and they were not able to find any faults.
A week or two later the problem reappeared so I had a local air con guy regas it and check for leaks of which there were none.
He is of the opinion that it is an electrical fault and says I should take it back to Fiat as it is still under warranty.
Fiat are not interested as they have already checked it and found no faults.
I probably could push them to have another look at it but as it is intermittent there is no guarantee that the fault will show up on the day.
We would like it fixed before we go on holiday at the end of August.
Where do we go from here?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Get some proof. Put a thermometer in the van. When the Aircon does not work video the thermometer and the controls and then put the thermometer in front of the vent to prove it's not cooling. Then take it back to Fiat with the evidence. At the moment they think it's you!

OP
OP
ontheroadagain
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Get some proof. Put a thermometer in the van. When the Aircon does not work video the thermometer and the controls and then put the thermometer in front of the vent to prove it's not cooling. Then take it back to Fiat with the evidence. At the moment they think it's you!
Thank you - I will do that.

OP
OP
ontheroadagain
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Our intermittent air con problems continue and as suggested by meanders I have now made a video and the motorhome is booked in with Fiat Professional for mid Aug. The problem is we go on holiday at the end of Aug so time is not on our side especially if they have to order in parts and a return visit is required. I found a video on youtube where someone had the exact same problem (not a Fiat) which turned out to be a faulty pressure sensor.
In the meantime I have ordered a new sensor for £20 from Coastal Motorhomes and it looks simple enough to fit.
But - can anyone confirm that there is a valve in the sensor housing that prevents the gas escaping when the sensor is removed.
Looking on line it appears that most vehicles (but not all) do have a valve, but I cant find anything that confirms this is the case for a Ducato.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Most have a type of Schroeder valve for the exact same purpose of removing the sensor. There should be just a small hiss when removing that should stop after you have undone it a few turns.. wait till the noise stops before completely unscrewing the sensor. Be aware that as the gas escapes/expands it remove heat so wear gloves??

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kea 80
Exp
Happy to help
Our intermittent air con problems continue and as suggested by meanders I have now made a video and the motorhome is booked in with Fiat Professional for mid Aug. The problem is we go on holiday at the end of Aug so time is not on our side especially if they have to order in parts and a return visit is required. I found a video on youtube where someone had the exact same problem (not a Fiat) which turned out to be a faulty pressure sensor.
In the meantime I have ordered a new sensor for £20 from Coastal Motorhomes and it looks simple enough to fit.
But - can anyone confirm that there is a valve in the sensor housing that prevents the gas escaping when the sensor is removed.
Looking on line it appears that most vehicles (but not all) do have a valve, but I cant find anything that confirms this is the case for a Ducato.
The valve x 2 for refill are behind the earth point under the bonnet I know because my 2023 has stopped cooling. Rang Fiat and they said if there is no fault they would re charge the system at a cost of £125, took it to my local garage they did a full test of the system, no leaks and the fully cleaned of oil etc removed the old and re filled. It’s back to working so fingers crossed.
Photo showing the upper earth point for reference they have black caps over them approx 12mm in size. Not sure about the sensor.

IMG_2804.jpeg

OP
OP
ontheroadagain
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The valve I was referring to is the one on the pressure sensor. Most vehicles have a valve so that you can easily replace the pressure sensor without having to first remove the gas. Fiat decided to save 10p and not fit one as I found out the hard way!

OP
OP
ontheroadagain
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Anyway, the new pressure sensor didn’t fix the problem. Booked in with an auto electrician tomorrow. Getting very fed up with this now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ontheroadagain
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
No further progress. Left it with the auto electrician today. Air con worked perfectly on the way there. He ran a scan and no fault codes found. He ran the engine a few times during the day but air con worked fine. I picked it up at 4pm got about three miles down the road and the air con stopped working. Brought it back to him and he ran another scan but half way through the scan it started working again. Scan detected fault code P0530-14 which is related to the pressure sensor (which has already been replaced). The replacement pressure sensor was not a genuine Fiat part. I wonder if that could be an issue? I really don’t know where to go from here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back