Fiat Ducato 2010 2.3 130 windscreen water drain (1 Viewer)

Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
When it rains, water from the windscreen runs along the wide gutter (containing the wipers) and into a pipe at the end of the gutter on the driver's side. The pipe wends its way down past various obstactacles, and has at least one right-angle bend with a kink in it. The water is supposed to drain out just inside the front wheel arch. The problem is that it gets blocked very easily. A couple of times I've managed to clear it with a long piece of wire and a lot of patience, and I've also tried mains water pressure (I don't have a pressure washer). What I need is a way of preventing this from happening, probably by diverting the pipe so it's straighter, but as RHD Ducato owners will know, it's horribly cluttered down there. The main result of the problem (as well as other water ingress, I think) is corrosion to various parts of the engine, especially the alternator that has had to be replaced recently - the water pours down over it when the pipe is blocked.
My searches on MHF don't yield any results, surprisingly, because I'm sure it must be a common problem. Can anyone point me to a relevant post/thread, or give me some tips on how to deal with it? If not, I'll try to devise my own solution but I'd rather know what others have done.
Thank you in anticipation,
RG

OP
OP
R2C2
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
Aha! This post has done the trick already I think! I should have searched for 'scuttle drain'.
Unless anyone would like to add to that topic I'll have a look and see if it gives me what I need.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted one of the PaulandChrissy scuttle drain kits.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R2C2
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
I fitted one of the PaulandChrissy scuttle drain kits.

Thank you Two on Tour...and it does the job?
How does it drain the water away from engine?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R2C2
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
Thank you Two on Tour...and it does the job?
How does it drain the water away from engine?
Sorry, Two on Tour, I've had a look at your link and I see more or less how it works - looks good - belt and braces!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Hi There
We are going to the Newbury show this weekend. If you are going we could meet. If not, just PM me and I can post you a kit.
Cheers PaulandChrissy 👍
Have a look on my Little website to see all the Ducato water issues I make bits for.
motorhome3Dprints.com

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
It might also be worth checking that your windscreen is sealed properly at the bottom we’re it attaches to wipers/ drain area.
Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Relay derived motorhomes/ PVC’s (not A class) can and do leak. It was a big issue on the early vans but it is also bad on newer vans.
The original design for managing water to run off on these vans is crap, Water ingress into the bonnet area can and is disastrous and the damage it can do will cost thousands to repair if you can find a mechanic to actually diagnose the fault correctly
Next time you’re in the van and it’s raining just watch how much water is running down your windscreen especially if you’re slightly nose down. A modest motorhome has a roof surface area of approximately 18 square metres, couple that with the British weather with heavy rain ( not forgetting freezing in the winter) and you could have a potential problem.
As well as keeping your drain holes clear make sure your windscreen is well sealed!

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Totally agree with comments in post#8
A few members on here have also sealed the joint between the base of the windscreen glass and the edge of the scuttle, this can also let water run into the engine bay. The ‘fix’ is to span the windscreen/scuttle joint with tape. I used black electrical tape which I might need to change every year or so.
Also look very carefully underneath the RH wiper, there should be a small hole drilled thro the plastic scuttle, this frequently blocks with crud and leaves the base of the wiper arm sat in mush
This entire area is designed by people who don’t have a scoobys idea about water

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
While your waiting, why not remove the driver's side front wheel and lining, ( I have replaced these piddling screws with S/S self tapping hexagon headed ones from Screwfix) it's not a difficult job, clear the debris and replace THEN, get stainless steel pan scourer, cut in half and stuff it,( so it can be removed and cleaned ) down the scuttle hole stopping rubbish get down the drain.
(It does need another drain on the other side because, remember, these are foreign designed vehicles and the British road camber is in the opposite direction.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R2C2
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
Hi There
We are going to the Newbury show this weekend. If you are going we could meet. If not, just PM me and I can post you a kit.
Cheers PaulandChrissy 👍
Have a look on my Little website to see all the Ducato water issues I make bits for.
motorhome3Dprints.com
Many thanks for your help, PaulandChrissy - we're in touch by email and I'm working out the best solutions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R2C2
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
It might also be worth checking that your windscreen is sealed properly at the bottom we’re it attaches to wipers/ drain area.
Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Relay derived motorhomes/ PVC’s (not A class) can and do leak. It was a big issue on the early vans but it is also bad on newer vans.
The original design for managing water to run off on these vans is crap, Water ingress into the bonnet area can and is disastrous and the damage it can do will cost thousands to repair if you can find a mechanic to actually diagnose the fault correctly
Next time you’re in the van and it’s raining just watch how much water is running down your windscreen especially if you’re slightly nose down. A modest motorhome has a roof surface area of approximately 18 square metres, couple that with the British weather with heavy rain ( not forgetting freezing in the winter) and you could have a potential problem.
As well as keeping your drain holes clear make sure your windscreen is well sealed!
Yes, good point, thank you. My initial concern is to avoid the main (standard, large bore) drain from blocking. I do take note of the other factors too - yes a huge amount of water is channelled from the roof, down the windscreen and then under the bonnet if any of the drains or seals are not working. This summer's project I think.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R2C2
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
While your waiting, why not remove the driver's side front wheel and lining, ( I have replaced these piddling screws with S/S self tapping hexagon headed ones from Screwfix) it's not a difficult job, clear the debris and replace THEN, get stainless steel pan scourer, cut in half and stuff it,( so it can be removed and cleaned ) down the scuttle hole stopping rubbish get down the drain.
(It does need another drain on the other side because, remember, these are foreign designed vehicles and the British road camber is in the opposite direction.)
Thank you for that, L'Hobo - I was already working on the best way to prevent stuff from going in top of the drain so that's great advice. And I'll have a look under the lining in the front wheel arch. Everyone's being very helpful - what else to expect from MHF! Thanks all!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back