Fiat Ducato 2.3 JTD clouds of very light grey smoke when engine is hot (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Hutchweb

Free Member
Jul 21, 2023
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Mallard Fiat
Exp
Since 2006
Symptoms only when engine fully hot, 9 o'clock on the temp dial.
Driving and acceleration is great.
However when it is hot coming off motorway and stopping at lights, light grey smoke billowing out, then smoking badly with light grey smoke when accelerating away.
Like a switch has been flicked, it will then be very smokey on acceleration.
Stop for 10 seconds and as it pulls away clouds of pale grey smoke which then stops after a few accelerations (it is now getting worse and smoking most of time if it is hot)
So it is like the fuel flow is not switching off.
Engine breathing checked
Injectors checked and one replaced
Valve seals changed
Block pressure checked
2 bottles of turbo cleaner put through the turbo
There does not appear to be an EGR
Engine has only done 53000 miles, 2.3JTD 2004, Fiat Ducato
Van is used regularly, we at a loss where to go with this problem now, anyone any ideas?

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
I had this. If the smoke is smelly it might be the turbo seals as was in my case.Van ran fine until stopped in traffic then when pulling away cloud's of smoke which cleared once driven.
Alan.

An

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Assume a new fuel filter has been fitted?
Im surprised no EGR fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Hutchweb

Free Member
Jul 21, 2023
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Mallard Fiat
Exp
Since 2006
It doesn't seem to be getting through oil or water.
My gut feel is that it is turbo related, but I don't understand how the turbo can affect overfuelling. The smoke is very light grey which I believe indicates unburnt diesel.
Could I run it for a test without the air filter in place? Or is that too risky.
Any directions on how I can check if an EGR is fitted?
Many thanks for your interests and suggestions.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My gut feel is that it is turbo related, but I don't understand how the turbo can affect overfuelling. The smoke is very light grey which I believe indicates unburnt diesel.
Could I run it for a test without the air filter in place? Or is that too risky.
Yes you can run with af in place but can’t see how that would help. If restrictions are in intake system I would expect black smoke.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
It does sound like partial turbo seal failure to me. The turbo has its own oil feed to the bearings. If the seals fail oil can be drawn into the intake and burnt in the cylinder.
Complete seal failure results in a big cloud of white smoke and of course other issues.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
H

Hutchweb

Free Member
Jul 21, 2023
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Mallard Fiat
Exp
Since 2006
It does sound like partial turbo seal failure to me. The turbo has its own oil feed to the bearings. If the seals fail oil can be drawn into the intake and burnt in the cylinder.
Complete seal failure results in a big cloud of white smoke and of course other issues.
Hope this helps.
One of the garages involved did say they had checked the turbo seals, but I am not sure how they did that as accessing the turbo is a nightmare. I am moving towards replacing the turbo now, we are no longer enjoying using the van so need to get it sorted.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Mine hasn't

They maybe on the 2.3 but I don't think the 2.8 jtd had them fitted

OP
OP
H

Hutchweb

Free Member
Jul 21, 2023
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Mallard Fiat
Exp
Since 2006
I will replace the air filter and fuel filter and if that doesn't help I will go down the replacement turbo route.
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Sounds more likely that you have a injector problem and one or more are over fuelling had the same on mine,not easy to remove as bolts can shear have it tested before doing anything as they are expensive

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
I agree it took several trips to different garages to diagnose my problem and not a cheap fix, turned out to be too much end float on the turbo no loss of oil just smoke after idling when hot.If over fuelling wouldn't it be running rough and lumpy? but I am no expert.
Good luck 👍

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
2004 2.8jtd, no EGR valve on mine.
Curious isn't it.
I was sure I didn't have an EGR on my 2003 2.8 JTD, but they seem to make the part so maybe it was fitted to some and not others ?
I thought it came as part of the DPF setup on later models when emmissions legislation was introduced

Boringfrog

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Curious isn't it.
I was sure I didn't have an EGR on my 2003 2.8 JTD, but they seem to make the part so maybe it was fitted to some and not others ?
I thought it came as part of the DPF setup on later models when emmissions legislation was introduced
No Cat on mine either.

OP
OP
H

Hutchweb

Free Member
Jul 21, 2023
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Mallard Fiat
Exp
Since 2006
Sounds more likely that you have a injector problem and one or more are over fuelling had the same on mine,not easy to remove as bolts can shear have it tested before doing anything as they are expensive
The Injectors have been removed and checked and one was replaced. We then moved onto the valve seals and replaced them. Then compression test and some sort of turbo oil leak check, which I am suspicious about whether that happened!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
In my experience a turbo issue will be blue smoke, and you also need a LOT of wear in the turbo for it to occur.

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Ducato 2.3 2014
Hi there!
I was reading about this issue, the same thing is happening to me. Did you maybe resolve your issue?

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Grey /Blue smoke is oil black smoke is diesel I always thought

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back