Fiat 1.9 td Hymer Underpowered (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2023
Coventry, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer swing
Been driving on motorways last couple of weeks and going along at 60 mph quite steady.
Have noticed when it comes to slight incline(ie parts of motorway where it says slow lorries),really seems to be labouring ie having to drop down to second gear at times is which doesn’t seem right any ideas ?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Been driving on motorways last couple of weeks and going along at 60 mph quite steady.
Have noticed when it comes to slight incline(ie parts of motorway where it says slow lorries),really seems to be labouring ie having to drop down to second gear at times is which doesn’t seem right any ideas ?
The older 1.9 was definitely not built for speed is it a turbo one ?

OP
OP
alecturn1
Jul 18, 2023
Coventry, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer swing
Forgot to add it’s done just 48,000 miles I had it serviced 2 weeks ago and it’s got 10 stamps in service book

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Not a particularly powerful engine, around 90BHP, so probably running as it should. If the van in your avatar photo is the one, it is not a small van and also pushing that unaerodynamic overcab.

May I advise you to treat the gearbox very kindly, they are fragile with weak 2nd gear synchro. The 5th gear was an add-on to the previous 4 speed box with a poor oil supply. Do not change up into 5th much below 3000rpm. Also consider changing the gearbox oil regularly. Spare parts are hard to find for that gearbox and difficult to find as a complete replacement. Fiat no longer support this gearbox.

if you drive your van as it would have been twenty years ago, slower traffic etc, then all will be well.

OP
OP
alecturn1
Jul 18, 2023
Coventry, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer swing
Thanks for replies I had gear box oil changed when I had service done 2 weeks ago. van had historical problems with water in gear box according to paperwork I got with vanGarage reported water in gearbox so something to keep an eye on.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think it's probably as it should be for a large heavy brick shaped motorhome.
My 2.8 jtd at 128bhp doesn't like inclines either and often needs dropping into 4th.
Just learn to accept travel at a slower pace 🙂

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Yes it’s a 2002 1.9td model
Then it's definitely underpowered, as was mine. Even with regular servicing.
BUT, what's the rush?
It's a leisure vehicle, and sitting at 60mph tootling along, with some lorries seems fine to me, and changing down and up is no real hardship.
Unless of course you are seriously overloaded on your payload?
Enjoy!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I had. 1.9 TD same age as yours. Underpowered indeed. I couldn’t live with it. What you are experiencing is normal for those. Someone on here could suggest a remap? I’ve never had one.
Phil
No remap available I believe as vehicle is too old.
Was told that on our 2001 1.9td Fiat ducato model.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Not a particularly powerful engine, around 90BHP, so probably running as it should. If the van in your avatar photo is the one, it is not a small van and also pushing that unaerodynamic overcab.

May I advise you to treat the gearbox very kindly, they are fragile with weak 2nd gear synchro. The 5th gear was an add-on to the previous 4 speed box with a poor oil supply. Do not change up into 5th much below 3000rpm. Also consider changing the gearbox oil regularly. Spare parts are hard to find for that gearbox and difficult to find as a complete replacement. Fiat no longer support this gearbox.

if you drive your van as it would have been twenty years ago, slower traffic etc, then all will be well.
Wot he said! (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
90bhp some body has suggested in discussion
I doubt that it is that much as the 1,9 without turbo was only 56bhp.
I'd say it was normal as a former 1,9 non turbo owner and 50mph was normal cruising for that.+hills would be 2nd gear usually.

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
I saw a sign on the back of a motorhome once.

"If you think this is slow, wait until we get to hill"

Pretty much describes my motorhome. It does make one's self slow down tho (mentaly), which is a good thing.
Whenever I get in to drive, everything seems to change... from the "
get it done" to "shrug, when we get there"
Makes it all a lot more pleasant.

Edit: Forgot to add, as long as you pull over when you can to let folks pass they usually are all good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alecturn1
Jul 18, 2023
Coventry, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer swing
I saw a sign on the back of a motorhome once.

"If you think this is slow, wait until we get to hill"

Pretty much describes my motorhome. It does make one's self slow down tho (mentaly), which is a good thing.
Whenever I get in to drive, everything seems to change... from the "
get it done" to "shrug, when we get there"
Makes it all a lot more pleasant.

Edit: Forgot to add, as long as you pull over when you can to let folks pass they usually are all good.
Actually believe it or not there is a sticker on back of motorhome saying exactly that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back