Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Over the last few days, meandering through Spain, I’ve started to get the yellow padlock/key light illuminating intermittently on the dash and the engine turning over but not starting. Same with both sets of keys.

My manual says there’s a code to start the engine in an emergency but I don’t have it (and it says they don’t give it out in the UK anyway). It does give a telephone number to call but it’s 20 years old and doesn’t work. Into the Fiat website and fill out a request form detailing the problem and rather encouragingly get an email back quite quickly asking for a copy of my V5, my driver’s licence and the VIN no. This look promising I think as that’s just the sort of information I might expect them to want.

I don’t hear anything for a few days then receive a bland email saying they can’t help me and I need to contact a Fiat dealer. Why couldn’t they have said that at the start? I’m no further on and I’ve sent them a lot of information I’d prefer they didn’t have.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear of your problems, a simple question how do you put the code into your vehicle unless you carry the equipment to access the ecu and software.
So you probably would have to go to a dealer anyway.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The yellow padlock means the immobiliser is on, probably the chip reader in the steering coloum playing up.
If the padlock it lit up don't turn the engine over as all you will do is flatten the battery.

If you say where you are one of our Spanish members might be able to recommend a garage.
gus-lopez

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There are several reports on the internet about immobiliser rings on ignition barrels failing. This applies to many makes not just Fiat. Basically the ring is an aerial that reads the chip in your key and with time they can become dirty or start to fail. No personal experience of this but it seems a good thing to have checked out for an intermittent fault.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Sorry to hear of your problems, a simple question how do you put the code into your vehicle unless you carry the equipment to access the ecu and software.
So you probably would have to go to a dealer anyway.
My manual says that the code can be used to start a petrol engine but not a diesel so I wouldn’t be able to start it. I’d just feel more comfortable if I had it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.

The yellow padlock means the immobiliser is on, probably the chip reader in the steering coloum playing up.
If the padlock it lit up don't turn the engine over as all you will do is flatten the battery.

If you say where you are one of our Spanish members might be able to recommend a garage.
gus-lopez
Thanks Lenny. I’m between Teurel and Utiel at the moment, should be in Benidorm on Monday.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Do you have a Sigma after market alarm immobilizer frequently added by brownhills on Hymers of that era ?
It could be that playing up ?
Try replacing the battery in the key fob.
Do you have the keypad on the dash, they used to put a little silver label with the code and would stick somewhere out of the way.
I have the manual in PDF format for the alarm if you think it's what you have.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks Lenny. I’m between Teurel and Utiel at the moment, should be in Benidorm on Monday.
Try these

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Do you have a Sigma after market alarm immobilizer frequently added by brownhills on Hymers of that era ?
Do you have the keypad on the dash, they used to put a little silver label with the code and would stick somewhere out of the way.
Yes I do, I have both the fob and the keypad. I’m not sure it’s that though because if I make an error putting the code in, the engine won’t turn over whereas in this situation I’m putting the code in correctly (as I get the solid red light in the keypad on entering the last digit) and the engine turns but doesn’t start. Getting the yellow LED on the dashboard made my think it was a Fiat problem?

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Try these
Thank you, they would be handy. But I’m wondering whether I need a Fiat garage if it’s a problem with the chip? I’ll give them a call though when I’m in Benidorm and see if they can help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, you have the code ? In your op you said you didn't have it.
Apologies, can't help further if it's a Fiat thing

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That wouldn't bring the error light on the dash.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If when you turn on the padlock doesn't go out then turn off & on again until it does. It is quite a common problem on older vehicles with either the chip or transponder playing up.I used to have it on a Kia .
I can only help with garage's or auto electrician around me,Lorca area.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
The code is used in conjunction with diagnostic software/ tool to code keys etc , the keys themselves don't need any battery power to work as the immobiliser aerial ring or transponder (shown below ) excites a chip in the key which then responds to the ring known as a "handshake" . Same principle as the anti shoplifting devices in store entrances. Worth checking if the ring is in place (black plastic ring around key slot with white cables) , but could also be a fault in the BCM if both keys don't work properly.
IMG_2378.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back