Fiamma tie down kit - worth it or not? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
From Funsters experience - is it worth buying a Fiamma kit for £24 to secure your awning?

Or just buy some cord and tie it on to whatever comes to hand?

B257F15D-08CE-4B1D-B5A3-F424F0A180C3.png

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Definitely worth it, with the Tie downs set properly will save your awning from gusts of wind and they are a good design.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The big benefit of them for me is the quick release clips. I once got caught in a sudden storm in southern France with the awning out. We had four adults clinging on to the front bar, the fabric was flapping like mad, it took all of us holding onto it. In a brief lull, I was able to unclip drop the webbing and quickly roll the awning in. That £20 pounds spent saved hundreds if not more. My present Thule set is no comparison. Thin webbing, meagre little pegs etc, gives me no confidence at all. I intend to buy another Fiamma kit. And also, I agree about the curved rafter. Brilliant bit of kit, one of my best purchases. Shame it got nicked with the rest of the van. I don't think you can get one for the Thule.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Agree about the pegs, they will hold but will eventually get bent over.

I've tried a couple of different types, if I can find what I bought I will post it here.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Ditto what SPEVE has said above. You might find a kit a little cheaper if you shop around, however for the sake of c£25 you’ll never regret it. Just image the damage to you MH if a freak gust of wind got hold of your awning.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
What's a magic rafter please?
Fiamma sell two types of brace to stiffen up their canopies. The Magic Rafter is an telescopic bar that hooks from the middle of the awning box on the van, run perpendicular to the van, outwards to the middle of the awning edge. It's reasonably effective at reducing flex and is compact.

The Magic Rafter Pro is a brace that runs between the dog-leg shaped arms of the awning. It runs parallel to the side of the van. It braces the awning arms and elevates the canopy material. It's significantly better at bracing the awning and reducing flap. But it's also bulkier and more expensive.

Upvote 1
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
They will keep the front of the awning down. They won't stop it from flapping and creaking.
I've found a centre rafter and an additional front panel made a lot of difference to the flapping, and in addition to the tie down kit (which I've always used) makes the whole structure much more secure and stable.

Upvote 0

funsterSwede

Free Member
Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
Unless you ordered already, I'd recommend having a look at the Peggy Peg kits - easy to fix to the awning and comes with various pegs or bolts to be used depending on what you're parked on which can be screwee into the ground using a cordless drill. Decent price as well, believe we paid around £80 for ours, worth every penny..

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The big benefit of them for me is the quick release clips. I once got caught in a sudden storm in southern France with the awning out. We had four adults clinging on to the front bar, the fabric was flapping like mad, it took all of us holding onto it. In a brief lull, I was able to unclip drop the webbing and quickly roll the awning in. That £20 pounds spent saved hundreds if not more. My present Thule set is no comparison. Thin webbing, meagre little pegs etc, gives me no confidence at all. I intend to buy another Fiamma kit. And also, I agree about the curved rafter. Brilliant bit of kit, one of my best purchases. Shame it got nicked with the rest of the van. I don't think you can get one for the Thule.
My new awning is an Omnistor not a Thule by the way. My mistake. As I said, I prefer the Fiamma because of the curved rafter.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I use a pair of flourescent yellow ratchet straps, 2 14 inch pegs and the best part a pair of fabric anchors that slide into the channel of the awning. They stop damage being caused to the knuckles at the top of the legs

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Fiamma sell two types of brace to stiffen up their canopies. The Magic Rafter is an telescopic bar that hooks from the middle of the awning box on the van, run perpendicular to the van, outwards to the middle of the awning edge. It's reasonably effective at reducing flex and is compact.

The Magic Rafter Pro is a brace that runs between the dog-leg shaped arms of the awning. It runs parallel to the side of the van. It braces the awning arms and elevates the canopy material. It's significantly better at bracing the awning and reducing flap. But it's also bulkier and more expensive.
Correction!
The Fiamma Rafter and Fiamma Rafter Pro go perpendicular to the van.

The Fiamma Magic Rafter and Fiamma Magic Rafter Pro go parallel to the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
From Funsters experience - is it worth buying a Fiamma kit for £24 to secure your awning?

Or just buy some cord and tie it on to whatever comes to hand?

View attachment 757010
The main thing is to make sure you can tie the awning down. Anyone who thinks they can rely on a few pegs in the awning legs is asking for trouble. The fiamma pegs are probably ok in the nice soft ground of a UK campsite but if you go to sunnier climates the ground will be rock hard so you will need something more robust than the pegs supplied. I've tied our awning up to trees, lamp posts, boulders, basically anything that is not going to move. The safest way to preserve your awning, however, is to wind it in if the weather looks bad.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
.... and the best part a pair of fabric anchors

Where did you get the anchors from please? I've seen the ones for hanging clothes etc but suspect they are not strong enough for the tie down aspect ...

Thanks

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Unless you ordered already, I'd recommend having a look at the Peggy Peg kits - easy to fix to the awning and comes with various pegs or bolts to be used depending on what you're parked on which can be screwee into the ground using a cordless drill. Decent price as well, believe we paid around £80 for ours, worth every penny..
We have the Peggy Pegs kit too and think it's a great system. Plus their foot anchors are way better than just pegging the legs down by the feet: you can use more pegs and it's quick release in case you need to take it in in a hurry. Plus you only have to peg it down once: just leave the foot plates in place when you wind it away, and slot the legs back in when you put it out again.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Where did you get the anchors from please? I've seen the ones for hanging clothes etc but suspect they are not strong enough for the tie down aspect ...

Thanks
I picked mine up at the lillypad leisure stall at one of the shows. Parrotsol on ebay do a similar one
1722099318364.png

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back