Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
My two pen'oth

I travelled Hull-Zeebrugge for over 10 years motorcycling around Europe. The cross-country commute from Bolton suited me rather than a boring slog "down south". I always shared a cabin with others (strangers)***. That kept the cost down. I tried the Hull-Rotterdam route once during Covid when I could not cabin share. That cost me dear.

Like others I will no longer use P&O because of the way they treated their staff. However I would need to wrestle harder with my conscience if they still sailed Hull-Zeebrugge.

Post Covid I have used DFDS Newhaven-Dieppe both car and AirB&B and, more recently, with my MH.

Whatever I do travelling from Bolton it takes me essentially almost a day to land the other side of the channel (However I did manage 14 hours from joining the ferry queue at Dieppe to home on my most recent return trip this last week using the midnight ferry). I do find motorway journeys in the UK tedious but with an air-conditioned cab and music rather than travelling by bike 5 hours to Newhaven is not much worse than 2 hours to Hull.

My only criticism of the the Newhaven-Dieppe service I suspect applies to most ferries - Hordes of children running wild with no sign of parental control. At least I avoided that on my recent midnight return!

Newhaven-Dieppe is least worst for me and definitely the cheapest. I can tailor my ferry time to allow me to cope with a brief dalliance with the M25 or avoid it travelling A27 in the direction of Portsmouth and then M3/A34/M40 (as I did this last Wednesday) or the reverse.

There is no perfect solution for. Maybe a pied a terre near Beauvais Airport where I can keep my MH and take cheap flights in would work - except I am an inveterate tinkerer and would miss that!!!

*** P.S. I kept hoping that P&O might have me share a cabin with a buxom blonde but it never happened!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Newhaven route was featured on the link ?
Yes but it doesn't show any discount against it so I assumed you meant the OAP 20% discount which you ring up for, that's not available on any other route.

1726416585014.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back