Ferry vs Tunnel (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G

We left beginning of August. After many years of using the tunnel we used P and O this year. Dog lounge was great and Ā£230 less than the tunnel so voted with our feet.
If more do the same they might look at their pricing. Return Saturday. Hope it's warm back in UKšŸ˜…
On the 14th September I bought a one way P&O Dover - Calais for midday crossing (11.25) this Sunday. Ā£82.00 plus Ā£2.00 environmental.. so paid Ā£84.00
Donā€™t know yet which way and date we are returning.. but I donā€™t think Ā£84.00 is a lot.... I donā€™t think it will be much different when I buy the return..

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I know it cost me more and now weā€™ve lost our last dog,weā€™ve had 5collies in 50 years of travelling we will still go tunnel Ā£330 +travel insurance ,I wouldnā€™t put myself through the irritation of the ferry and the people you have to contend with the noise kids running about parents who ignore them,no ill pay the extra whatever it is.
Go on Irish Ferries - It's always a ghost ship when I go on it.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I, too, refused to travel by P&O for a couple of years after their disgraceful treatment of their crews. However, travelling on Irish Ferries I noticed that the Captain's "Welcome aboard" speech was delivered with an Irish accent, but the crew members in the food and duty-free shops seemed to be mainly East European. I suspect that Irish Ferries may not be very much better than P&O. Brittany Ferries, though, does seem to me to be staffed by folks with French accents.

Hmmm... I don't think they are allowed to employ based on accent or nationality. Anyone in the EU can work on these boats. Maybe Brittany ferries pay more if French people are willing to work on them - they do ply the more premium crossings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
The hovercraft service was always my favourite way to cross the Channel. I think I last used it in early 2000ā€™s. Awesome it was! šŸ‘Œ
Back in the 80's, my family used to park up on Marine Parade (for an early ferry crossing to Calais the next morning), and watch the hovercraft coming and going.

There was nothing to stop you wandering down to it!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The hovercraft service was always my favourite way to cross the Channel. I think I last used it in early 2000ā€™s. Awesome it was! šŸ‘Œ
And my favourite too. Can't bring myself to erase the nostalgia.

Seacat.JPG

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
On the 14th September I bought a one way P&O Dover - Calais for midday crossing (11.25) this Sunday. Ā£82.00 plus Ā£2.00 environmental.. so paid Ā£84.00
Donā€™t know yet which way and date we are returning.. but I donā€™t think Ā£84.00 is a lot.... I donā€™t think it will be much different when I buy the return..
It was Ā£79.39 for October 28th return, Calais to Dover..
So my return trip has cost Ā£163.49 on a ferry, the cost of the tunnel is Ā£464.00.
Thatā€™s a Ā£300.61 difference.. thatā€™s 6 dinners for 2 out or 10 nights on a decent camp site or 20 nights on a municipal camp site.. or 15 bottles of 12 year old Johnny Walker black label. From duty free.. Whoo hoo hicā€¦.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
And my favourite too. Can't bring myself to erase the nostalgia.

View attachment 948198
Went on the hovercraft early 90s I think. Worried motorbikes would fall over and bounced up and down for 30 minutes, needed ear deffenders too as
I remember it.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Just crossed on the Tunnel, no waiting, they sent us straight up and on the train, an hour and a half sooner than our booking. That was a 12:24 in the afternoon.
The train was half empty!
Are you a time traveller, you posted this post at 10.21
2hours 3 mins before you travelled.. whoo hooo can I have Fridays lottery numbers?

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We travel with 2 dogs and the extra Ā£44 that Eurotunnel charge for them to accompany us is ridiculous.
Although someone has to pay for the pet centre.
We returned from France this year on a P&O ferry, Calais to Dover, for the first time and the cost saving was substantial compared to the tunnel.
It was one of the newer ferries with the dog lounge (excellent facilities for dogs and humans) and is what we will be using on future trips.
Travel time isn't important to us.

Sep 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Two of us and the dog.
Looking at crossing prices to France and back to uk, ridiculous Tunnel prices!
How many of you lot have voted with your feet to use a ferry instead of the train, with or without a dog (or two)?
Ferry (at the day/time weā€™ve selected Ā£253.
Tunnel (as above) Ā£383.
No contest!
Always look at both Ferry and Tunnel price and the Tunnel is always al least Ā£100 more expensive. we use DFDS Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, no problems over the past 20 years.

Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
For those who it applies to. Forces Travel give 15% discount on P&O and 5% discount on Brittany.
Currently serving or vetrans.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newhaven to Dieppe on the noon ferry on 15August for Ā£184 return two adults. A bit of discount in there but I can't remember what. CAMC probably. Cheapest we could get and a useful boost on the way down to Ole de Re
Itā€™s a good price but itā€™s a long crossing to leave our dog in the van. If we didnā€™t have a dog we would most likely use it.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Itā€™s a good price but itā€™s a long crossing to leave our dog in the van. If we didnā€™t have a dog we would most likely use it.
Don't forget you can get 20% discount if you are over 60.
We went Newhaven/Dieppe last year, but have just booked Dover Calais, as cheaper but also times more convenient, if we get a daytime crossing to Dieppe, by the time we arrive it is about time we would be looking to stop for the day, so feel we loose a day.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
It's not just P&O though. Irish Ferries a couple of years earlier. Condor Ferries much before that.

P&O management, together with their HR and PR departments all got badly called out, unlike the others previously.

Channel crossings is a highly competitive market. I'd be surprised if the employment terms at any of their competitors is great either.

I'm booked on DFDS in 3 weeks time to come back across the channel from our current Scandinavian trip, but wouldn't expect their seamen's pay and conditions to be much better than P&O or Irish Ferries.

I believe it's also the same for the Philippino crew on most cruise ships.

If you buy anything sourced in China, the Philippines, most of South East Asia, you're tacitly supporting an exploited workforce. I'm not saying it's right, but it's an unfortunate and increasingly unavoidable fact of life. šŸ‘Ž
I was chatting to one of the crew on a P&O ferry a couple of months ago. From memory I think he said they used to do 12 consecutive weeks onboard then had a short time off. Now they do 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. During his 3 weeks off this chap would fly to Goa to see his family. He seemed very pleased with his current situation.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Although someone has to pay for the pet centre.
Why? DFDS do it all when you check in without me even getting out the van at Dunkirk?
Just looking at DFDS, looks like they don't run Jan / Feb.
Year round dover to calais

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back