May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Two of us and the dog.
Looking at crossing prices to France and back to uk, ridiculous Tunnel prices!
How many of you lot have voted with your feet to use a ferry instead of the train, with or without a dog (or two)?
Ferry (at the day/time we’ve selected £253.
Tunnel (as above) £383.
No contest!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
All depends on where you are going.

We live under 70 miles from Dover.
We never use that crossing.

For: Spain/Portugal we use Plymouth
For: Western France we use Southampton/Portsmouth
For: Germany/Italy/Eastern France we use Harwich

The only reason I'd use Dover would be for the Paris, Belgium area.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Distance/ ease of travel to the port of embarkation along with ease of travel with the dog are key considerations for us.

I would no more consider leaving the dog on the car deck either in the van or in a kennel, than I would our kids when they were young.

Cost is in the equation but it’s not the key driver for us.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
We’ve been going on the tunnel since the beginning mainly because of the dogs it’s so easy just sit there35 mins and your away,we once went on p&o the dogs took a week to recover,the noise the movement,we book early and there’s not much diffence in price.
IMG_0060.jpeg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We’ve been going on the tunnel since the beginning mainly because of the dogs it’s so easy just sit there35 mins and your away,we once went on p&o the dogs took a week to recover,the noise the movement,we book early and there’s not much diffence in price.View attachment 947378
We also used to use the tunnel exclusively because of our border terrier.

However, the newish P&O pet lounge provides a decent alternative. Dogs get VIP treatment - free biscuits, exercise area, etc., and humans get unlimited bean-to-cup coffee or cold drinks on the crossing.

Sadly our border terrier passed away at fifteen and a half years earlier this year, so no longer a consideration for us.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Use the tunnel every time, can't be doing with the long crossing via ferry.

Cost is irrelevant, convenience is more important to us, plus we take our cat and he stays in the van with us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We use the tunnel and Tesco points so it becomes cheaper than the ferry . In France at the mo , came from Newhaven on ferry for a change, was a very long crossing imo and costing us same as trip to France on tunnel in December . Also we were made to park right next to ferry wall, and joy of joys our only cab door sometimes doesn’t work well from outside , bloody thing wouldn’t open ! we had to shimmy n squeeze into the hab door which only opened a couple of inches ..

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
We’ve not used the tunnel for well over 12 months. They’ve become too expensive just to save an hour or so each way on a six week trip. We’ve used P&O and been quite pleased with them so far.

P&O do a season ticket and I bought a pack of 3 returns early this year. We’ve used all three trips. Cost about £227 return for an 8.1 metre motorhome. Added to that, with the season ticket you get the flexibility to change your bookings without extra charge. If you cancel, it just gets put back into the account. We’ll probably buy another set of 3 very soon.

P&O pet lounge looks good. Not been in it because we don’t have a dog.

gefsal

Free Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Cathargo Malibu 640
Exp
Since 2001
We use Tesco vouchers to bring down the cost of tunnel, what we don't understand is each time we've used the tunnel over the last 12/18 months it's been practically empty? Why don't they reduce the prices and fill it up?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I used the Tunnel and Irish ferries for the 1st time in 12 years. Tunnel was best, we have used it twice. But it's a Royal pain to get to. It was 9 hours driving in July Folkestone - Manchester

Came back from Spain into France and used St. Malo - Portsmouth recently. So much easier to get home to Manchester 3 hours 50 mins.

I miss the Zebrugge route

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
once went on p&o the dogs took a week to recover,the noise the movement,
Used P&O dog lounge last week. It was clean and roomy, each doggy “family” having own seating area with water bowl and help yourself to hot drinks or bottled water/cola in fridge. Just missing the biscuits
IMG_3010.jpeg

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
OK, you pay a bit more for the tunnel, but the sheer speed and convenience makes up for it. Check in 45 mins beforehand, and 80 mins later you are on the A16 leaving Calais.

Only ferries we use now are to Spain, Sicily and getting around Scandinavia.

(Writing this on the ferry to Bilbao!) ::bigsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Out of interest just checked Dover Calais on Irish ferries a few quid dearer than Newhaven/Dieppe and it would add nearly 400 miles to a round trip if we are heading South West.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We always use the tunnel, it's much better with dogs and Mrs. Odd get very bad seasickness. We generally only do 1 trip to Europe a year. The extra cost is not a big worry considering the total cost of the trip, similar to do you use tolls?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Perhaps I am unusual, I always leave the dogs in the van on ferries. It’s their home, is familiar to them and doesn’t have other dogs or kids running round them. They have fresh water and their own beds.

I wish I could join them. :)

We dumped the tunnel this year, ferry was £200 cheaper and you can still use Tesco vouchers on Irish ferries.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
We’ve been going on the tunnel since the beginning mainly because of the dogs it’s so easy just sit there35 mins and your away,we once went on p&o the dogs took a week to recover,the noise the movement,we book early and there’s not much diffence in price.View attachment 947378
Quite right if it doesn't suit the dogs but there is a substantial difference in price . I always check . Travelled on tunnel once with van just to experience it , don't think the price difference was so marked then . Usually about double now .
My tesco vouchers are about 97p worth !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back