Ferry Cancelled > Change of plan > Any advice for Switzerland? (2 Viewers)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
We had planned a trip to Spain and Portugal leaving today but due to a storm coming in the ferry was cancelled, so rather than mope about it we've decided to change plans.
Now, We've always fancied going to Switzerland so we drew up a rough plan to see if it was doable. The plan (very rough plan as we've had no time to research) is to hot foot it from Roscoff to Lyon then cross over into Italy, spend a few days there then go through the Gotthard Road Tunnel into Switzerland, spend 4-5 days there and then meander back to Roscoff.

A few questions spring to mind:

Does this sound doable? (bear in mind, we are not yet retired, only have 2 weeks and fully understand that it will be a whistle stop tour.)
What's the weather like this time of year?
We'd love to go on a mountain lift or train to see snow, but don't fancy driving in it.
Is it safe to drive there this time of year? (please excuse my ignorance on the weather/road conditions)

Any tips or suggestions of things to see would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Martin

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We did it in 17 days. Tunnel out Friday evening. One stop on the way down on an airer. Straight to a site near Interlaken for two weeks. Tiny pitches, and metered leccy, but spent little time there. Tourists used to get a travel pass meaning you could pick up the bus into Interlaken, then local boats and trains. I can't remember if free or discounted but a great deal. Did many of the mountain railways that run like clockwork and everything joins up.

Jungfrau was the highlight. We were there mid summer and emerged from the train (in a tunnel) to beautiful snow.

You need a window sticker to use the Swiss roads.

We stopped at Disney on the way back up but that added two days.

Far bit of easy driving from memory.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
It’s also possible to get an “ e-vignette” for Switzerland now. You can register on line before you go and your registration plate is noted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We went to Canping Jungfrau in June and caught the cable car and train to Murren then up to Piz Gloria world highest revolving restaurant.
Plenty of snow then.
Lovely part of Switzerland and so easy to get around on public transport
1711534664893.jpeg

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Oh very easy. Don't remember the details but loads of help and advice at the camp site, and at the tourist information helpfully at the combined bus, train and ship interchange in Interlaken. We were given a map and lots of helpful advice as to which things sere best to do in excellent English. I would lay money that it's like that throughout the country as they really welcome visitors and are so proud of their joined up public transport system...... and it really does work. The mountain railways are slow so I think it was an hour to the top pf Jungfrau with another hour or so to get to the base station on I think Bus, Train, Train, but it's a few years ago so detailed memory is fading. We had a child of about 11 with us and he loved it.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Oh very easy. Don't remember the details but loads of help and advice at the camp site, and at the tourist information helpfully at the combined bus, train and ship interchange in Interlaken. We were given a map and lots of helpful advice as to which things sere best to do in excellent English. I would lay money that it's like that throughout the country as they really welcome visitors and are so proud of their joined up public transport system...... and it really does work. The mountain railways are slow so I think it was an hour to the top pf Jungfrau with another hour or so to get to the base station on I think Bus, Train, Train, but it's a few years ago so detailed memory is fading. We had a child of about 11 with us and he loved it.
Thanks for the info, I've noticed that there is a campsite at Interlaken opposite the train station, so that might be a good base for a few days.
We have a 10 year old and a 14 year old, I'm sure they'd love it too.
One last question, do you have to pay extra for anything like the ice palace once you get to the top? It's a pricey trip but does look like a once in a lifetime experience.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Check out the various tunnel waiting times before committing, waits can be 2-3 hrs at busy times esp Gotthard.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the info, I've noticed that there is a campsite at Interlaken opposite the train station, so that might be a good base for a few days.
We have a 10 year old and a 14 year old, I'm sure they'd love it too.
One last question, do you have to pay extra for anything like the ice palace once you get to the top? It's a pricey trip but does look like a once in a lifetime experience,
Not from memory. However, to be honest we were disappointed with the ice palace having seen one in Lapland and a second in Iceland. The boat out and train back trips across the lakes is also very good. The thing we disliked most was a Fondue evening we were persuaded to go on but others there thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We stayed at Camping Jungfrau in July (2004). It’s a walk down to the train station for the Jungfrau train. It’s probably easier now to find weather conditions at the top, but then they had a live web cam at the train station showing the conditions at the top. If you caught the first train of the day it was a lot cheaper. We waited several days for good conditions but in the end we just had to go. It’s not always sunny!
IMG_6961.jpeg

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
And plenty of money in you wallet/bank 🤑🤑🤑
I'm a "tighter than a ducks ass Cornish lad", so I'll be bringing my own supplies (where legally allowed of course). Already told my 10yo daughter she's not having Mcdonalds over there :ROFLMAO:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I recall about ten years ago buying two sandwiches and two canned drinks from a bakers shop. It cost me over £20 back then.😳

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Campsites might be pricey.
Try to get an ACSI book in France. (unless of course you've got one.)

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Campsites might be pricey.
Try to get an ACSI book in France. (unless of course you've got one.)
Good idea, I've been meaning to buy one anyway, probably save the membership by the end of the trip!

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ambigious views on the tyre requirement.

In Switzerland, there is no legal requirement to fit winter tyres. However, the Swiss Road Traffic Act (Art. 29) requires all vehicles on Swiss roads to be roadworthy, something for which drivers are responsible.27 Oct 2023.

However if you are involved in an accident, the authorities may decide that the vehicle was not roadworthy due to not having winter tyres.

When should I change my winter tires to Switzerland.

The rule is remembered by the term “from O to O” . This is short for “from October to Easter” (von Oktober bis Ostern). The recommendation is for drivers to make the change from regular tires to snow tires in October, and leave them on until Easter.5 Dec 2023

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Plenty of things to do here over the next few weeks although it will be busy on the slopes as it‘s the end of the ski season and Easter of course.

I would always advise people to check out Grindelwald as from there you can take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg, then if you want take the small train to the top of the “Young lady“ (Jungfraujoch), even take a walk across to Männlichen which is about 90mins but will be snow covered. Train also goes down to Wengen on the other side. Plenty of nice places to eat and drink there and some beginner stuff for the kids on the snow if they want to try.

Near us we have Glacier 3000 where there‘s loads of stuff to do up top, even a nice toboggan ride (on rails) that‘ll scare the pants off you😳 We‘ve done a husky ride up there many years ago and it was a great experience.

If you‘re feeling flush a coffee in Gstaad is nice, watching the rich and famous fly in and out at the little airport there and peaking in the shops😮‍💨

For Gotthard just avoid any buys times as you can loose hours there stuck in traffic, our record was a 5hr wait one Easter weekend😞 and Simplon is always a good alternative route, and free.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Plenty of things to do here over the next few weeks although it will be busy on the slopes as it‘s the end of the ski season and Easter of course.

I would always advise people to check out Grindelwald as from there you can take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg, then if you want take the small train to the top of the “Young lady“ (Jungfraujoch), even take a walk across to Männlichen which is about 90mins but will be snow covered. Train also goes down to Wengen on the other side. Plenty of nice places to eat and drink there and some beginner stuff for the kids on the snow if they want to try.

Near us we have Glacier 3000 where there‘s loads of stuff to do up top, even a nice toboggan ride (on rails) that‘ll scare the pants off you😳 We‘ve done a husky ride up there many years ago and it was a great experience.

If you‘re feeling flush a coffee in Gstaad is nice, watching the rich and famous fly in and out at the little airport there and peaking in the shops😮‍💨

For Gotthard just avoid any buys times as you can loose hours there stuck in traffic, our record was a 5hr wait one Easter weekend😞 and Simplon is always a good alternative route, and free.
Thanks for the advice, your county looks beautiful, we're disappointed that we can't go to Spain but, really looking forward to going somewhere completely different!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Simplon is always a good alternative route, and free
What's this route like? The reason I've picked the tunnel as I've no idea on the conditions of the roads above as I've no time to plan but, going over would obviously have better views!

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
We changed our plan for Switzerland in February , as we were going to go there then on a slow route down to Spain via Switzerland,
But one of the places on route we wanted go to was St Bernard pass but road was closed till late spring , so we’ve now planned to go mid june. So watching your thread .
Have a great trip 👍

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What's this route like? The reason I've picked the tunnel as I've no idea on the conditions of the roads above as I've no time to plan but, going over would obviously have better views!

Tunnel is of course always open but pretty boring and a traffic risk. Simplon is certainly open as i drove it yesterday, it‘s 99% always open but at this time of year you may find some snow on the road but only a few hours here and there before it‘s cleaned and salted, they have to keep it clear as it‘s a main path through the Alps. Without winter tyres it‘s a risk TBH but you can always wait around until they‘ve cleared the road and then pass through. Plan B you take the train from Iselle to Brig if your van is max 3.1m, that’s what I’d keep in my pocket in case the weather craps out. We‘ll be passing through it on this WE in the van.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
You wouldn’t want to take the pass we went through😳😳went from Salzburg to Bled up a mountain through ski resorts and back down, made my old van grunt a bit😁😁 still snow up there in June but roads were clear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back